Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Multiple Teams Interested in Trading for Julius Thomas

Quote:Isn't anyone else afraid TC is gonna put us in salary cap trouble again?

Why should we be? We cut Odrick, are trading Thomas, and began the offseason with the NFL's seventh-most amount of money under the cap.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If this tub of goo goes back to being a pro-bowl TE, that would be hilarious.

Why don't we keep him and actually incorporate him into the offense?

Quote:Why don't we keep him and actually incorporate him into the offense?

He is young and we don't exactly have any world beaters at TE currently, so maybe.

I think it's possible the JT trade falls apart. The trade as it stands is all on JT, and from his perspective why would he actually restructure his deal and take less when he knows its very unlikely that the Jags would cut him and take on 6.6 mill in dead cap? Only way I see him taking the deal to Dolphins is if it includes more guaranteed money. Albert on the other hand knew he was getting cut, and would have to be taking on a new deal so it makes sense that it could work in the Jags favor to restructure his contract. 

For the record I do sure hope the trade works out, because it is a gift to the Jags to get rid of him at this price. 

This has been my stance from the get-go on this matter.  

The only problem is that you've got Marrone and Coughlin involved in evaluating the roster now and Thomas phoned it in pretty hard during  a half dozen games last year when it became clear that Bortles was a hot mess and not getting better. 

I think those guys saw that and decided they didn't want to have to motivate a 29 year-old that's making big money. 

The only real upside of this move IMO is that Thomas (despite his struggles w/ Blake) was a high profile player and this a sends a message in the locker room that no one is safe and half efforts are unacceptable.

I can get behind that and I actually think Sterling may be able to at least flash as a poor-man's JT. 

During the four game stretch that Sterling played in he was getting very similar production to Thomas' meager numbers in the weeks prior -  and doing it with far fewer snaps. 

We did incorporate him in the offense. He led the team's TE group in TDs.

Quote:I think it's possible the JT trade falls apart. The trade as it stands is all on JT, and from his perspective why would he actually restructure his deal and take less when he knows its very unlikely that the Jags would cut him and take on 6.6 mill in dead cap? Only way I see him taking the deal to Dolphins is if it includes more guaranteed money. Albert on the other hand knew he was getting cut, and would have to be taking on a new deal so it makes sense that it could work in the Jags favor to restructure his contract. 

For the record I do sure hope the trade works out, because it is a gift to the Jags to get rid of him at this price. 

Have you ever heard of players wanting to reunite with their old coaches? It is pretty obvious why he would accept a pay cut in Miami.

Quote:Why should we be? We cut Odrick, are trading Thomas, and began the offseason with the NFL's seventh-most amount of money under the cap.

Oh idk maybe because he wrecked our salary cap before and put us in a bad spot for the next 5 years

Quote:Oh idk maybe because he wrecked our salary cap before and put us in a bad spot for the next 5 years

He now has several great talents when it comes to managing the cap and contracts with Caldwell and Idzik. Either way if he turns us around I could care less if down the line it hurts us. Weve been bad for a decade...I want wins now.

Quote:He now has several great talents when it comes to managing the cap and contracts with Caldwell and Idzik. Either way if he turns us around I could care less if down the line it hurts us. Weve been bad for a decade...I want wins now.
Havent we already learned that TC will do what he wants? I doubt that Caldwell or Idzik is going to stop him lol

Quote:Havent we already learned that TC will do what he wants? I doubt that Caldwell or Idzik is going to stop him lol

I'm curious what makes you say that? 

We can only guess blindly at how much input  on personnel TC is having thus far and how much of it is coming straight from Caldwell's desk and just being approved by TC. 

It's also hard to imagine Coughlin would want to meddle with Caldwell and Idzik's contract structuring/cap management since they have been doing very well there. 

If you are referring to TC's prior experience in Jax, then yes, I'm aware and wary of his tendency to go rogue, but I'm hopeful he's learned from those mistakes. 

I doubt Coughlin is running this thing as an unhinged dictator, I'm sure Caldwell is putting forth these moves and sending them to Coughlin to go through with them, based on justifications. Or they're doing it together.

I'm really hesitant to like the recent moves. Giving up a pick for an oft injured old OL player seems iffy, as does shipping off a good talent at TE for just a 7th.

I hope the FO knows what it's doing.

What does John Idzik have to do with Tom Coughlin and the Jaguars? 

Quote:Isn't anyone else afraid TC is gonna put us in salary cap trouble again?

I'm not the salary cap death spiral is a thing of the past. Teams operate at or over the cap every season, being cap conservative has got us what in the last two decades?
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:What does John Idzik have to do with Tom Coughlin and the Jaguars? 
http://www.jaguars.com/team/football-sta...idzik.html

Quote:What does John Idzik have to do with Tom Coughlin and the Jaguars?
a real Jags fan would know

Quote:A real Jags fan would know

Not all real Jaguars fans know everything about the team.

Quote:I'm curious what makes you say that?

We can only guess blindly at how much input on personnel TC is having thus far and how much of it is coming straight from Caldwell's desk and just being approved by TC.

It's also hard to imagine Coughlin would want to meddle with Caldwell and Idzik's contract structuring/cap management since they have been doing very well there.

If you are referring to TC's prior experience in Jax, then yes, I'm aware and wary of his tendency to go rogue, but I'm hopeful he's learned from those mistakes.

If it was Caldwell still running things I don't think he would have cut beachum, replaced him with a 32 year old of the same caliber, and then traded Julius for a 7th after 2 seasons. Just my opinion