Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kentucky Clerk Is Jailed For Refusal to Issue Marriage Licenses As A Result Of Her Religious Beliefs

Quote:Where were all these advocates against the government using the term marriage prior to gay marriage being a thing? If marriage should never have been used but always has been, why are people just deciding to take issue with it now?

Let's be honest and admit that no one cared that the term has been used until it might be used by THEM...and OMG! We can't have them using OUR word!! My marriage won't be special anymore if they'll just let anyone get married!! What's next? Dogs and cats? A man and his car?? Oh the humanity!!!
That's the truth right there.

The word was never the issue hence the legislation banning gay marriage in various states. It has morphed into this issue since the societal needle has moved away from their prior position and needs to be a different thing now. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Where were all these advocates against the government using the term marriage prior to gay marriage being a thing? If marriage should never have been used but always has been, why are people just deciding to take issue with it now?

Let's be honest and admit that no one cared that the term has been used until it might be used by THEM...and OMG! We can't have them using OUR word!! My marriage won't be special anymore if they'll just let anyone get married!! What's next? Dogs and cats? A man and his car?? Oh the humanity!!!
hahahaha!!!! I love the "what's next? [fill in the blank]" argument.

Quote:That's the truth right there.

The word was never the issue hence the legislation banning gay marriage in various states. It has morphed into this issue since the societal needle has moved away from their prior position and needs to be a different thing now. 
They're Re-shuffling goals once the first was taken away.

Quote:hahahaha!!!! I love the "what's next? [fill in the blank]" argument.

The old "slippery slope " that tries to scare the living hell out of everyone so they'll agree with them argument!! :thumbsup:
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Really though, I don't want to argue about this anymore, so I think I'm done with this topic. It's been fun.

It does make me really happy to think about how far we've come though. 10 Years ago when we adopted a baby, my partner and I had to pretend we were just friends. She was the one who was legally able to adopt him because it wasn't legal at that time. She actually had to sign an affidavit or some kind of a document saying she wasn't homosexual. At that time however, gays were allowed to adopt "special needs" children. Makes me sick in so many ways. The fact that the special needs kids were presumed to not be good enough. Anyway, I'm very thankful for how far we've come as a society.

Quote:The old "slippery slope " that tries to scare the living hell out of everyone so they'll agree with them argument!! :thumbsup:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio.../31982911/

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/08/19/indiana-woman-marries-jesus-consecrated-virgin/31982911/'>http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/08/19/indiana-woman-marries-jesus-consecrated-virgin/31982911/</a>

Does that mean she just became a nun! :woot:
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:I comprehend it, I just completely disagree. To change the term NOW, Because some have an issue with a term is, to me, completely ridiculous. Why now? Why change it all of a sudden now? Never before has the terminology been an issue. Also, it's not the term that's a problem, it's the act.

This is where you are wrong.  The term "marriage" when asked to presidential candidates is usually combined with the word(s) what do you believe.

Gays started "the fight" because they wanted "equality" under the law, you have even expressed that yourself.

So I propose a reasonable (I think) change to separate the social use of the term from the legal use of the term.  However, that's not good enough for your community and those that support your community.  What you are saying is that we should use the term "marriage" in legal documents and force it on the majority of the population.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:That's the truth right there.

Wrong, the word IS the issue.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:This is where you are wrong.  The term "marriage" when asked to presidential candidates is usually combined with the word(s) what do you believe.

Gays started "the fight" because they wanted "equality" under the law, you have even expressed that yourself.

So I propose a reasonable (I think) change to separate the social use of the term from the legal use of the term.  However, that's not good enough for your community and those that support your community.  What you are saying is that we should use the term "marriage" in legal documents and force it on the majority of the population.

JIB- we disagree and that's fine. A lot people I'm sure feel some kind of way about this decision and again that's fine. I can't concede on this and I don't need to because this is all fantasy debate anyway. It was given as law in the full and complete capacity. The fact that some woman in KY disagrees, supposedly due to her deep convictions, is also fine. I don't live there and at this time I'm not planning on getting married there so it's a non issue for me.

If someone is genuinely against gay marriage, divorce, cheating, lying stealing and actually lives that way, I can't hold a grudge against them, but the others who pick and chose which is right and wrong are the ones that are making themselves out to look like fools.

Quote:This is where you are wrong.  The term "marriage" when asked to presidential candidates is usually combined with the word(s) what do you believe.

Quote:Wrong, the word IS the issue.
IF the word is an issue you can blame the right. They are the ones that passed laws in their states saying marriage is between one man and one woman. They denied rights to the LGBT community with impunity. To try to pretend this was done for any reason other than legislating religious morality on the population at large is disingenuous.

Being gay used to be wrong and evil. Now it's still wrong and evil to some but you can't say it anymore because society has shifted it's stance on the subject. So now that open persecution can't be done anymore a different tact has been chosen. That being the protection of the sanctity of marriage, which I am sorry is a terrible joke consider how THAT has changed in the eyes of the believers. Your argument is about that word and I believe you are being genuine in your argument. What I do not believe is that all of sudden the people that legislated something as a sin or evil and against the law have changed their tune for anything other than the same despicable reasons they made it illegal (unconstitutionally) in the first place. 

In the end changing the word in the legal meaning is silly, IMO because keeping the same as it has been for how long now, does absolutely nothing to change how the religious view their marriages. Beliefs ought not be in the talk when it comes to legislation. Changing the word away from the common vernacular would be doing exactly that. 

Sorry, didn't read the whole thread, but did anyone mention this clerk has been married 4 times? So maybe it's simply a hoarding thing. She's saving the certificates for her next go ' round
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:Nah. I like it being called married.

"Hi, this is my wife, we've been together for 13 years, we adopted a child 10 years ago. He's a straight A student in the 4th grade, we just got civil union-ed". :yucky:

Doesn't have as nice of a ring as married does.

"Hey, I'm Kentucky Kim, this my 4th main husband Dudley Runk, we call's him DRUNK for short, we're married".

Did you say " He's a straight A student?

Sorry...had to.
Blakes Life Matters