Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kentucky Clerk Is Jailed For Refusal to Issue Marriage Licenses As A Result Of Her Religious Beliefs

Quote:I kind of wish she'd just go away. I don't want her to become a martyr looked back upon fondly by anti-gay activists for decades to come, and I certainly don't want the history books remembering her as a key figure in the gay rights struggle. I generally refuse to use her name, because the sooner she returns to being an anonymous, ridiculously well-paid county clerk in backwoods Kentucky, the better.
I would hope not. I'm sure there are a lot of folks who are fist pumping for her "beliefs", but I find for the most part people are in agreement that this isn't a horrible thing (gay marriage). Of course I could be living in my own personal bubble, which really, is just fine with me.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I would hope not. I'm sure there are a lot of folks who are fist pumping for her "beliefs", but I find for the most part people are in agreement that this isn't a horrible thing (gay marriage). Of course I could be living in my own personal bubble, which really, is just fine with me.
No! Personal bubbles are not a good thing! Personal bubbles are how Bernie Sanders and Ted Cruz happen.

Quote:No! Personal bubbles are not a good thing! Personal bubbles are how Bernie Sanders and Ted Cruz happen.

Made me L O L

I really don't get the debate here.  I do not agree with every law.  Regardless they are the laws of the land and I obey them.  If I do not (speeding comes to mind) I deal with the consequences of my actions.  With that said if mine or your personal code of conduct conflicts with following the law of the land you need to resign or change the law.  

I still say this entire mess could have been avoided had we separated church sanctioned marriages and government issued benefits.

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Quote:I still say this entire mess could have been avoided had we separated church sanctioned marriages and government issued benefits.

You and me both. If we're being honest, the right verdict would have been that instituionalizing marriage was a violation of the separation of church and state, and governments should issue civil unions to any couple that wanted one, but the term "marriage" would be left to the private sector.

Quote:I still say this entire mess could have been avoided had we separated church sanctioned marriages and government issued benefits.

It's already separated.  You can get married without going to a church. My wife and I didn't get married in a church.   Even if you do go to a church for it to be legal, you have to go to the government to get the document signed.

That's what this woman was refusing to sign.  The document making their marriage legal.  She wasn't performing any ceremony.  They were filing for licenses.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:It's already separated.  You can get married without going to a church. My wife and I didn't get married in a church.   Even if you do go to a church for it to be legal, you have to go to the government to get the document signed.

That's what this woman was refusing to sign.  The document making their marriage legal.  She wasn't performing any ceremony.  They were filing for licenses.

I'm guessing odds are in favor of her getting to meet a lesbian in her current accommodations. Maybe she'll learn something.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:I'm guessing odds are in favor of her getting to meet a lesbian in her current accommodations. Maybe she'll learn something.

Because the only motivating factor in her decision is ignorance?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:You and me both. If we're being honest, the right verdict would have been that instituionalizing marriage was a violation of the separation of church and state, and governments should issue civil unions to any couple that wanted one, but the term "marriage" would be left to the private sector.

This seems reasonable to me.

Quote:It's already separated.  You can get married without going to a church. My wife and I didn't get married in a church.   Even if you do go to a church for it to be legal, you have to go to the government to get the document signed.

Technically she was refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

Upon further review I am changing my earlier opinion of this being excessive.  Here is a quote from one article that I read this morning.

Quote: 

U.S. District Judge David Bunning ordered Davis on Aug. 12 to resume issuing marriage licenses, saying that her personal religious objection to same-sex marriage did not supersede her public duty to issue marriage licenses. He jailed her for contempt Thursday because she refused to comply.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Jim crow was in direct violation of the ammendments to the constitution. This was made up out of whole cloth.

Quote:Because the only motivating factor in her decision is ignorance?

I don't know her, hence the "maybe". And I never said or posted "only".

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

[Image: 1715347.jpg]

just for the record, shes a democrat

Quote:just for the record, shes a democrat

Just for the record, Ted Bundy was a republican
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:Just for the record, Ted Bundy was a republican

That was Al Bundy.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Lol. I was responding to the frozen banner

Ronald Reagan was a democrat before he was a republican.  So this matters why?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Lol. I was responding to the frozen banner
There is such thing as a right-wing Democrat. Not as common as it was during the civil rights era when "Dixiecrats" were all the rage, but they are still out there. Typically, a "right-wing Democrat" aligns fiscally with the left, but is very far right socially.

...kind of like her.

This is an Older story, but I think she's still refusing to marry couples

Meanwhile......... And she''s not in Jail either

Lesbian judge refuses to marry heterosexual couples

A lesbian judge in Texas says she will not perform wedding ceremonies for heterosexuals until the state allows homosexuals to “marry” as well.

Dallas County Judge Tonya Parker told the Stonewall Democrats of Dallas at a meeting last Tuesday that it would be “oxymoronic” for her to perform wedding ceremonies that can’t be performed for her.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/lesbia...al-couples

Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

Quote:This is an Older story, but I think she's still refusing to marry couples

Meanwhile......... And she''s not in Jail either

Lesbian judge refuses to marry heterosexual couples

A lesbian judge in Texas says she will not perform wedding ceremonies for heterosexuals until the state allows homosexuals to “marry” as well.

Dallas County Judge Tonya Parker told the Stonewall Democrats of Dallas at a meeting last Tuesday that it would be “oxymoronic” for her to perform wedding ceremonies that can’t be performed for her.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/lesbia...al-couples

What would she be in jail for?

;

;