Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Iowa Radio Host has interesting solution to ilegal immigration

Quote:If you really want to end the issue of illegals coming across the boarder:

Fine the living (bad word for poo removed) out of those that hire them.

Get rid of unnecessary regulations.

Dump these free trade agreements.

Place high enough tariffs on all imported goods to bring real jobs back to America

I agree on everything adding in common sense regulation.

I'm unsure about how effective tarrifs really are what with internet purchasing and bilk buying by conglomerates. I'll admit economics are not my bailiwick.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I agree on everything adding in common sense regulation.

I'm unsure about how effective tarrifs really are what with internet purchasing and bilk buying by conglomerates. I'll admit economics are not my bailiwick.
I freely admit the only economics background I have is commonsense. If some other country wants to pay 12 cents on the dollar for labor the USA cannot compete.  In order to compete with that on a global economy you have to raise the price of said labor to what we pay here in America.  Hence tariffs.  Once you do that the corporations lose all incentive to outsource labor and have to find blue collar workers to produce the products we all crave.  It is all commonsense but then again I am on no ones pay roll.

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Smh some people are just breathing contradictions.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 08-22-2015, 07:38 AM by The Drifter.)

Quote:I support punishing those that break the law

And yeah. paying them is not  a bad Idea when I think about it. Inmates earn like $2 a day, so we can save up their "pay" until they have enough for a plane ticket back home. No Buses, they can hop off that thing anywhere.

Quote:+1 for slavery?

How is it Slavery when they're being paid the normal Inmate wage? And Beside, back in the 17th and 18th century many people worked off their passage to America (or in this case, their home country), it was called, Indentured Servitude.

Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

Quote:And Beside, back in the 17th and 18th century many people worked off their passage to America (or in this case, their home country), it was called, Indentured Servitude.

It was also voluntary.

Quote:It was also voluntary.

Yeah but I'm talking about people that already broke the law.

Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

Quote:Yeah but I'm talking about people that already broke the law.
I'm really happy you're not in any kind of position of power. It takes a true monster to believe that someone pursuing the chance to better themselves and their families should be forced into slavery.

Quote:If you really want to end the issue of illegals coming across the boarder:

Place high enough tariffs on all imported goods to bring real jobs back to America

I'd vote for you...  But if you have time, I'd like specifics on the regulations he feel are unnecessary.

I agree almost entirely. The way to stop illegal labor is to beef up e-Verify, fine the living crap out of companies that are using it improperly (or not at all), fine the living crap out of first-time offender companies that are caught employing illegal labor and build in penalties as high as being shut down (and criminal charges brought up against corporate officers) for habitual offenders.

Want to see illegal labor fall off a cliff? Fine Trump a few billion dollars and send him to prison for a year. That'll pretty quickly leave those here illegally out of work.

I'd take it a bit farther, though. I'm in favor of a guest worker program that would allow people already here illegally--not those caught crossing the border tonight--to register for ID, pay taxes and legally go to work for smaller companies (like CA Imperial Valley farms). There would be a separate, lower minimum wage for guest workers, and they would be exempt from benefit requirements. There would also be a cap on company size (revenue and workforce) in terms of eligibility for hiring these workers. That's to keep Walmart from hiring 10,000 guest workers at $4.50/hr. and displacing legal residents in those jobs.

The idea would be to fill the jobs that Americans don't want and employers can't fill (like farm work, for example) with a willing and able workforce that's currently forced to hide in the shadows. The eligibility would be a one-time thing, say a period of one month in which illegal immigrants can report to any number of facilities and be granted an ID, the ability to live here legally and the ability to work for employers that are part of the guest worker program. There would be strict limitations, too. Commit any offense that results in a criminal conviction (i.e., not a speeding ticket) and you're deported, no questions asked, and not allowed to return to the US under the guest worker program again. The enrollment window would only be opened on rare occasions, as needed, and anyone who doesn't report for enrollment is considered here illegally and subject to deportation upon discovery.

Tariffs are a touchier subject to me. Even though they protect American jobs, they also damage international relationships and can result in equivalent tariffs being placed on American goods. The tariffs we'd need to compensate for a kid in a Guatemalan sweatshop stitching together soccer balls at $1.00 per day is pretty dramatic when you consider that we're probably paying an American at least $80 per day to do the same time. I do believe that tariffs are a viable tool for bringing American jobs back over, but I think there are legislative ways to do it as well. Companies that ship jobs overseas make a lot of money: why not simply introduce tax penalties for companies based upon what percentage of jobs are filled overseas vs. at home?

Oh, wait, that would require pissing off the corporate lobby. Never mind. Better just crap all over our international trade relationships, then.

Bottom line, the solution to illegal immigration isn't a fence, mass deportation or whatever kind of frightening ideas Drifter's cooked up, it's legislating it out of existence through increased accountability and penalties for companies that employ illegal labor, then making it legal for small businesses, farms, etc. to employ immigrants who are already here at lower wages and without Obamacare requirements in play. If illegal immigrants know that there's no work for them here and no opportunity to get work, I think we'll see the numbers start to fall off, and more of those coming across actually will be the drug runners and human traffickers that we should be focused on.

Quote:I'm really happy you're not in any kind of position of power. It takes a true monster to believe that someone pursuing the chance to better themselves and their families should be forced into slavery.

Hey, don't do the crime (Illegal entry in to the U.S.) if you can't do the time

Slavery doesn't sound half bad for career criminals. Better then giving them room and board for 25+ years.

Quote:Hey, don't do the crime (Illegal entry in to the U.S.) if you can't do the time

How about send the builders, landscapers and farmers that employ the undocumented workers to prison also?
;

;

Quote:I freely admit the only economics background I have is commonsense. If some other country wants to pay 12 cents on the dollar for labor the USA cannot compete.  In order to compete with that on a global economy you have to raise the price of said labor to what we pay here in America.  Hence tariffs.  Once you do that the corporations lose all incentive to outsource labor and have to find blue collar workers to produce the products we all crave.  It is all commonsense but then again I am on no ones pay roll.
Tariffs almost universally lead to inflation on domestic and foreign products.

Quote:Tariffs almost universally lead to inflation on domestic and foreign products.

If that means higher paying jobs stay in the usa, I'll take the inflation. We should be protecting American interests. Yes, cheap goods are nice, but not at the cost of American industries.

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2015, 03:42 PM by Dumptruck.)

Quote:If that means higher paying jobs stay in the usa, I'll take the inflation. We should be protecting American interests. Yes, cheap goods are nice, but not at the cost of American industries.
They will be minimum wage unskilled labor positions with the sweet added benefit of expensive goods. Not to mention the punitive tariffs that other countries will then pass against U.S. products to send a message.

We didn't outsource high paying jobs. We outsourced jobs that third world laborers with no education could do.

Quote:We didn't outsource high paying jobs. We outsourced jobs that third world laborers with no education could do.

I see you've never needed technical support for anything.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

So using prisoners to clean up the highways when law abiding citizens are looking for jobs is a good idea? Not to me. If the state, in proprietorship of my tax money, needs people to clean up the highways then let them hire good citizens trying to make ends meet.

Regards...................the Chiefjag

Quote:I see you've never needed technical support for anything.

Are you saying tech support jobs are high paying?

Quote:Are you saying tech support jobs are high paying?

They used to be solid middle class work. Now they're "Steve" from Bangladesh.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:They used to be solid middle class work. Now they're "Steve" from Bangladesh.

I don't know when that was, or where. Not the companies I am familiar with.