Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pistol-whipped detective says he didn't shoot attacker because of headlines

I think we should be praising this detective.  He shouldn't have used deadly force.  He decided to make a traffic stop in cargo pants and a T shirt...  I'm sure the situation escalated based on his lack of training and proper tools in terms of being a traffic cop.  

But at least we didn't have another death for no reason.  Apparently this guy that beat up the cop is probably going to jail for a long time, but at least it will follow the correct criminal justice procedures, and this cop didn't decide to be judge, jury, and executioner.  Also, because the guy is alive, we'll actually hear his side of the story.  This is always better than the standard spam we get when a cop kills someone, "I feared for my life".  A response that lately has shown to be rather...  problematic in it's objective accuracy.

Kudos to that cop.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I think we should be praising this detective.  He shouldn't have used deadly force.  He decided to make a traffic stop in cargo pants and a T shirt...  I'm sure the situation escalated based on his lack of training and proper tools in terms of being a traffic cop.  

But at least we didn't have another death for no reason.  Apparently this guy that beat up the cop is probably going to jail for a long time, but at least it will follow the correct criminal justice procedures, and this cop didn't decide to be judge, jury, and executioner.  Also, because the guy is alive, we'll actually hear his side of the story.  This is always better than the standard spam we get when a cop kills someone, "I feared for my life".  A response that lately has shown to be rather...  problematic in it's objective accuracy.

Kudos to that cop.  

I wonder if you would be applauding the cop had he been unable to prevent a life-threatening crime because some dumb thug decided to knock him out.

Quote:I wonder if you would be applauding the cop had he been unable to prevent a life-threatening crime because some dumb thug decided to knock him out.

Or if he'd been killed. 

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2015, 11:50 AM by The_Anchorman.)

Lol, I guess you guys are against our justice system?

Quote:Lol, I guess you guys are against our justice system?

Him shooting in self defense would be upheld by the justice system.

I guess you are against our justice system?

Quote:I think we should be praising this detective.  He shouldn't have used deadly force.  He decided to make a traffic stop in cargo pants and a T shirt...  I'm sure the situation escalated based on his lack of training and proper tools in terms of being a traffic cop.  

Kudos to that cop.  

YOU are part of the problem.

Huh

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2015, 01:56 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

I believe it's something like 90% of cops who have their firearm stolen in a confrontation are killed. This cop survived the pistol whipping, yes, but should he really have taken the chance? Most logical people would say no.

Quote:His first thought when somebody approaches him...

I dont think he would have shot the guy in the car for a traffic offense.

Crikey you are touchy.

I still don't see where he says his first thought when somebody approaches him would be to shoot him.

Could it be possible that his thought process is:

1. Is the guy approaching me wanting to cause me significant bodily harm? If yes....

2. Is the guy approaching me capable of causing me significant bodily harm? If yes....

3. Is there any other option besides my firearm that can safely and efficiently neutralize the threat I'm about to incur? If no...

4. Neutralize the threat with the firearm.

Is it at all possible based on jagibelieve's post that this would be his thought process? It's the thought process I would have and the one I assume jagibelieve would have. I don't think jagibelieve would shoot every person walking towards him if he was a cop.

Has it been established weather the cop identified himself?

Quote:Has it been established weather the cop identified himself?

I think the article implies that he did, not no I can't confirm that this has been established.

As someone who is pretty party-neutral, I respect your posting quite a bit. Please don't let me lose faith with you on this one by going with the standard talking points.

Kudos to that cop.  

Wallbash

He's lucky to be alive and made the wrong choice.  He should have shot him.  

Quote:YOU are part of the problem.
No. The problem exists when police are killing unarmed people and largely getting away with it because grand juries are blind sheep that happily accept, "I feared for my life," over witness testimony which indicates that the murder--er--cop was in no mortal danger. You're part of the problem, as is everyone in this thread who can argue with a straight face that a police officer shooting an unarmed person is in any way justifiable. Good for this particular cop in choosing not to kill someone over a minor traffic violation. If he'd done things the right way and called in a marked unit to make the stop rather than playing traffic cop in plain clothes and an unmarked vehicle, this probably wouldn't even be a story. What the perp did is certainly a serious crime, and the actions of bystanders who openly mocked the injured officer on social media are disgusting, but at risk of getting flamed by the "cops are always right" crowd, this undercover officer partially brought this on himself when he broke off of his investigation to conduct a totally unrelated traffic stop while looking absolutely nothing like a police officer. Not even a badge around his neck.

A note for anyone who ever is lit up by an unmarked car and has any suspicion at all that it might be an impostor (and you should assume that all unmarked cars that attempt to stop you are impostors): it is not illegal to turn on your hazard lights, indicating that you're aware of the vehicle's presence, then keep driving and call 911 to have the operator radio out and verify that that is, in fact, a cop. If 911 can't verify that it is a cop, they'll dispatch a marked cruiser to your location immediately. Another way in which this whole confrontation could have been avoided.

Yes.

Quote:No. The problem exists when police are killing unarmed people and largely getting away with it because grand juries are blind sheep that happily accept, "I feared for my life," over witness testimony which indicates that the murder--er--cop was in no mortal danger. You're part of the problem, as is everyone in this thread who can argue with a straight face that a police officer shooting an unarmed person is in any way justifiable. Good for this particular cop in choosing not to kill someone over a minor traffic violation. If he'd done things the right way and called in a marked unit to make the stop rather than playing traffic cop in plain clothes and an unmarked vehicle, this probably wouldn't even be a story. What the perp did is certainly a serious crime, and the actions of bystanders who openly mocked the injured officer on social media are disgusting, but at risk of getting flamed by the "cops are always right" crowd, this undercover officer partially brought this on himself when he broke off of his investigation to conduct a totally unrelated traffic stop while looking absolutely nothing like a police officer. Not even a badge around his neck.

A note for anyone who ever is lit up by an unmarked car and has any suspicion at all that it might be an impostor (and you should assume that all unmarked cars that attempt to stop you are impostors): it is not illegal to turn on your hazard lights, indicating that you're aware of the vehicle's presence, then keep driving and call 911 to have the operator radio out and verify that that is, in fact, a cop. If 911 can't verify that it is a cop, they'll dispatch a marked cruiser to your location immediately. Another way in which this whole confrontation could have been avoided.

He's not shooting him for a minor traffic violation.  

Quote:I think the article implies that he did, not no I can't confirm that this has been established.

As someone who is pretty party-neutral, I respect your posting quite a bit. Please don't let me lose faith with you on this one by going with the standard talking points

I don't know enough to really comment on it as I have only read what is here being at work and all. I was just curious to the extent the plain clothed officer ID'd himself. 

Quote:YOU are part of the problem.

I disagree. I think people that say they are against the power of our government and then say police can kill with little to no recourse are a problem.

Me thinking that the police officer who chose to not kill a man is a problem seems a bit hyperbolic. I think we need more peace officers that use discretion.

Quote:He's not shooting him for a minor traffic violation.

He didn't shoot him at all, which is a good thing. Police should not have the freedom to kill at will under the guise of fear...

That's too much power for any government official to have on his or her own volition...

Quote:He didn't shoot him at all, which is a good thing. Police should not have the freedom to kill at will under the guise of fear...

That's too much power for any government official to have on his or her own volition...

So at what point when the detective was getting his beat down would've it been acceptable to shoot the perp in self defense?

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:So at what point when the detective was getting his beat down would've it been acceptable to shoot the perp in self defense?
I'm pretty sure he meant it in a broad manner and has stated here his appreciation of the restraint in not killing to perp.

I understand those that take the self defense side. I also understand the calls for better training and more restraint. It's a difficult situation one which is not as black and white as both sides make it seem. Way to many people get happy when a cop kills a criminal and way to many assume the incidents are all murder. 

Thanks boudreaumw, being on my phone makes it difficult to say exactly what I mean in the way I wish. But you basically hit the nail in the head.