Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Colvin

Quote:I was wondering if there was some myterious depth chart I'm not seeing listing House and Colvin as starters given some of the above responses. The official one lists McCray and House as starters with Colvin in a separate starting spot by himself which I assume is suggesting nickel. So I looked back at Oesher's article where he talks about the depth chart being released. He has one comment about the starting CBs where he says...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">*Cornerback, where Demetrius McCray[Image: icon-article-link.gif] and Aaron Colvin[Image: icon-article-link.gif] were listed as co-starters. Colvin has worked at outside and nickel corner during camp, and could play both roles during the regular season.

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

So I ask again... Where is this assumption that House is somehow above McCray on the depth chart coming from?

It's because Bradley plainly said that Colvin would play McCray's spot when he's not at nickel.  (it was in an after practice presser vid a while back)

If they thought McCray was better than House - Colvin would take House's spot instead when not in nickel.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Show me the quote from any coach saying House is better than McCray. The depth chart lists both CBs as starters which puts them on an equal footing so I don't know what you're talking about there. Colvin is listed as the nickel. Simply put, McCray is our best shutdown CB, and this is a good thing.

SMH...

I can play this childish game of yours... "show me the quote from any coach saying McCray is better than anyone else."

Just wow.

I can show you what they have been saying, though.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/8/10/9...-of-corner

<p style="margin-left:40px;">"There's not a lot of guys that do it, so that tells you how talented he is," defensive coordinator Bob Babich has stated.

...and then there's Gus,

<p style="margin-left:40px;">"He's competing. I told you how much of a challenge it is now playing inside and outside and he's accepting those challenges and he's making plays out here, so he's been very impressive."

Gus also had this to say after only his first two weeks of play: https://twitter.com/JohnOehser/status/53...8434736128

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Jaguars HC Gus Bradley said Aaron Colvin had a grade that indicated he impacted a play every four plays. Remarkably high for a nickel CB.

He hasn't spoken of any other corner on this team so highly.

Not sure if you've been ignoring the news or just not following it at all, but all indications are the coaches plan to play Colvin and House on normal downs, and McCray to sub and move Colvin inside for nickel/3rd down.

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Edit...97ee4586db

<p style="margin-left:40px;">That could mean a scenario in which Colvin starts outside – perhaps opposite newly signed unrestricted free agent Davon House – then moves inside to play nickel with House and Demetrius McCray playing outside corner in passing situations.

Which isn't far from verbatim what I just said before.

Just like when you similarly challenged my opinion when I observed Mo Williams and Vince Manuwai fading fast and suggested they were about to be cut, just before they were actually cut... you might want to swallow that ego and reconsider your take this time around.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2015, 03:09 PM by pirkster.)

Quote:I was wondering if there was some myterious depth chart I'm not seeing listing House and Colvin as starters given some of the above responses. The official one lists McCray and House as starters with Colvin in a separate starting spot by himself which I assume is suggesting nickel. So I looked back at Oesher's article where he talks about the depth chart being released. He has one comment about the starting CBs where he says...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">*Cornerback, where Demetrius McCray[Image: icon-article-link.gif] and Aaron Colvin[Image: icon-article-link.gif] were listed as co-starters. Colvin has worked at outside and nickel corner during camp, and could play both roles during the regular season.

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

So I ask again... Where is this assumption that House is somehow above McCray on the depth chart coming from?

Wallbash  McCray is only shown as a co-starter, because he'll start outside when Colvin is inside in nickel formation.

Do you not know that a depth chart is created on the basis of assuming a "base" formation (not nickel)?  By including McCray, it's giving a nod to the nickel "base," which we (and the NFL) are playing more and more of.

This also shows you why silos are important.  House is alone as starter at one side.

Quote:...That could mean a scenario in which Colvin starts outside – perhaps opposite newly signed unrestricted free agent Davon House    – then moves inside to play nickel with House and Demetrius McCray   playing outside corner in passing situations.

Quote:SMH...

I can play this childish game of yours... "show me the quote from any coach saying McCray is better than anyone else."

Just wow.

I can show you what they have been saying, though.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/8/10/9...-of-corner

<p style="margin-left:40px;">"There's not a lot of guys that do it, so that tells you how talented he is," defensive coordinator Bob Babich has stated.

...and then there's Gus,

<p style="margin-left:40px;">"He's competing. I told you how much of a challenge it is now playing inside and outside and he's accepting those challenges and he's making plays out here, so he's been very impressive."

Gus also had this to say after only his first two weeks of play: https://twitter.com/JohnOehser/status/53...8434736128

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Jaguars HC Gus Bradley said Aaron Colvin had a grade that indicated he impacted a play every four plays. Remarkably high for a nickel CB.

He hasn't spoken of any other corner on this team so highly.

Not sure if you've been ignoring the news or just not following it at all, but all indications are the coaches plan to play Colvin and House on normal downs, and McCray to sub and move Colvin inside for nickel/3rd down.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">That could mean a scenario in which Colvin starts outside – perhaps opposite newly signed unrestricted free agent Davon House – then moves inside to play nickel with House and Demetrius McCray playing outside corner in passing situations.

Which isn't far from verbatim what I just said before.

Just like when you similarly challenged my opinion when I observed Mo Williams and Vince Manuwai fading fast and suggested they were about to be cut, just before they were actually cut... you might want to swallow that ego and reconsider your take this time around.

I'm not aruging against Colvin starting so I don't know why you bring up all these quotes about him. The quote about Colvin coming in opposite House uses words like "could be" and "perhaps" for a reason. Since then the depth chart came out, and according to Oesher its listing McCray and Colvin as the co-starters.... not House. Any way you look at it, McCray is consistently mentioned as a starter.

Quite frankly, even if Gus did say something that I missed about McCray being the one to come off the field, I'm betting it's only a matter of time until McCray is recognized by all here as the superior CB. Colvin may be our best CB, but I see him as more of a zone guy as opposed to a shutdown man corner like McCray.

'02

Quote: 

Quite frankly, even if Gus did say something that I missed about McCray being the one to come off the field, I'm betting it's only a matter of time until McCray is recognized by all here as the superior CB.

Don't hold your breath on that one.  It was crystal clear the moment Colvin stepped on the field he is a superior talent.  He can do everything McCray does, as well or better, and can do even more.

Quote:My eyes.

Besides, it's not like House is an INT machine. The guy only has 1 INT in each of the past two seasons, and zero over his first two seasons. McCray also has far more starts on his resume to go along with more tackles and passes defensed. Why should House rank higher? Because he makes more money?

Your eyes?

How much of House have you seen in the Jaguars scheme?

Quote:I'm not aruging against Colvin starting so I don't know why you bring up all these quotes about him. The quote about Colvin coming in opposite House uses words like "could be" and "perhaps" for a reason. Since then the depth chart came out, according to Oesher its listing McCray and Colvin as the co-starters.... not House. Any way you look at it, McCray is consistently mentioned as a starter.

Quite frankly, even if Gus did say something that I missed about McCray being the one to come off the field, I'm betting it's only a matter of time until McCray is recognized by all here as the superior CB. Colvin may be our best CB, but I see him as more of a zone guy as opposed to a shutdown man corner like McCray.
House is listed as the starter on one side. McCray/Colvin  are listed as the co-starters on the otherside.

House has a career body of work that earned him the starting job. Looking good in training camp doesn't carry enough weight to overcome that body of work.

Could McCray or Colvin eventually overtake House for the other starting CB position? Absolutely. Are they going to do that this offseason? Not very likely. Right now they are competing against each other.

Quote: Wallbash  McCray is only shown as a co-starter, because he'll start outside when Colvin is inside in nickel formation.

Do you not know that a depth chart is created on the basis of assuming a "base" formation (not nickel)?  By including McCray, it's giving a nod to the nickel "base," which we (and the NFL) are playing more and more of.

This also shows you why silos are important.  House is alone as starter at one side.

Hmm...

So you're saying that McCray and Colvin are co-starters opposite House. I didn't read it that way, but that does make some sense. That said, I'm sticking to my opinion that McCray is our best man CB. It'll be interesting to see what actually happens on the field and who actually starts the regular season.

'02

Quote:Don't hold your breath on that one.  It was crystal clear the moment Colvin stepped on the field he is a superior talent.  He can do everything McCray does, as well or better, and can do even more.

I meant to suggest that McCray in time should prove he's superior to House. As for Colvin, it's more like an apples and oranges comparison. Like I said, he reminds me of Aaron Beasley who was once quoted as saying how much more he likes zone coverage because it gives him more opportunities to make his big plays.

'02

We argue how good our cb's are. Oh how far we've come *tears up*

Quote:2)Cornerback, 
Aaron Colvin  
versus 
Demetrius McCray
 This is similar to the three-technique spot in the sense that no matter the outcome, both players almost certainly will play an extensive role. And there really may never be a clear “winner” in this spot. Colvin, a second-year veteran, appears likely to play extensively at outside corner and at the nickel – perhaps starting at the outside spot and moving inside in passing situations. That would technically make him the starter over McCray, but McCray would be on the field at outside corner in passing situations. Realistically in the NFL you need at least three corners capable of starting. McCray, Colvin and 
Davon House 
 give the Jaguars that.

Edge: Colvin.

Oehser on CB battle  ^

Quote:We argue how good our cb's are. Oh how far we've come *tears up*
My thoughts exactly.