Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Scrimmage Thread

Quote:Was our offense trash? Or was our defense that good?

I would say defense was that good. The back and forth of 1s/2s series and the generic evaluation type play calling makes it a little tough to get any rhythm. Not to mention they were rotations RBs and centers constantly.

Corners had some very good coverage all night and a lot of good pass defenses. DL was causing pressure which I consider more we have a really good DL than a bad OL. Blake's mechanics looked great and he placed the ball very well to ARob (td) Thomas (td) and Hurns (drop). Denard broke a good run and showed some nice cuts. Hard to gauge a lot without love tackling too, they called some sacks and tackles that possibly could have been broken out of.

I really think it's just easier to get a feel for the defense in situations like this than it is for the offense, not to mention they're 3 years into the same scheme and a new offense. We'll get a clearer picture on the offense come the Pit game.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I couldn't tell much from a scrimmage in which tackling is not allowed.

A couple of good throws, some really nice catches.

I'm waiting to see how folks look when the Jaguars play someone other than the Jaguars in something more resembling a real game.

Looking forward to the game v. Steelers.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(This post was last modified: 08-08-2015, 11:23 PM by JaguarJosh05.)

Myers really stood out in the kicking game. Sure it's just kicking but he looks worth keeping around. Not only his 60 yard field goal that Scobee didn't make but the touch backs. Bortles and the offensive line came around and the defense was balling. Yeldon looked good in tough situations when the defense clearly won the line of scrimmage. Glad he isn't seriously hurt. It was nice seeing the offensive line find a groove for a while the QB's had what looked like all day to step up and see the field open up. A very pleasant change to the normal turnstile we've grown accustomed to seeing the last few years. After the first couple of series the only pressure I remember seeing were on LB and Safety blitzes. 

No pain, no gain.

I'm just so glad football season is almost here. I can't wait.

The WR position seems to be shaping up. I'm thinking we'll ultimately keep six considering how many are on the roster. A couple weeks ago I'd say that #5 and #6 would be Nate Sterling and Tandon Doss, but now I'm thinking it'll be Tony Washington and Arrelious Benn.

'02

The only thing i got from the stream scrimmage is that john o really needs to stop talking. Good god he was so damn annoying.

A few things after watching the scrimmage for the second time. I watched it live streaming but thankfully they put the archive up for our viewing pleasure.

-Blake Bortles' work on his mechanics is working. His accuracy was great for the most part but more importantly to me, you can see the way that he is using his bottom half to generate the power. As I'm sure most who follow the team has heard already, this will allow his arm to stay strong throughout the whole season.

-Andre Branch got the best of both starting OT's at least once. He beat Joeckel pretty easily on the first series and had Parnell on skates on the second series (backed up on the goaline)

-After the first two series the offensive line was solid. Gave Blake enough time to make those TD's throws​​

-Yeldon looks to have really good feet and vision. I think he is going to be similar to Leveon Bell in that you don't really care that he doesn't have that young Freddy T type speed because his patience, feet, hips, and vision make up for the lacking speed. This is not only based on the scrimmage by the way, but seeing his feet and vision show up during the scrimmage was a little more affirmation.

Just a few things I wanted to touch on. I thought it was fun and am very appreciative to the Jaguars for streaming is this year. I believe this is the first year they have done that? I could be wrong and totally missed it the last 12 years.

"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

Quote:Haven't seen either of them in a while.

Maybe they got married and are on a nice long honeymoon.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Just had the chance to watch a little bit of the scrimmage.

The first team defense looks like they could play against Carolina tomorrow. Fast and physical. Great group.

I like what I've seen from Bortles. He definitely improved.

The offensive line is our weakest position group I think. They are talented, but they have a month to figure it out so we'll see.

Anyway, fun game. Julius Thomas makes those fade catches look easy.
Shock the world

Quote:From what I saw:

House and Colvin looked good. McCray was never mentioned and that's usually a good sign for a CB.

Parnell was solid and Joeckel much better.

Odrick looked good.

The 1st string run defense was strong.

I thought Wiz outplayed Bowanko.

Hurns was disappointing.

Washington may very well be receiver #5.

Scobee is definitely at risk of losing his job.

On most plays there was only pseudo-tackles, so it's hard to tell whether or not a RB could have broken loose.
I was happy with the corner play, though House was beaten on that diving TD.

I liked Bortles deep ball accuracy.

Odrick looked good...dominant on some plays.

None of the OL stood out to me in a good way, though it appeared to me that on an early run, Parnell was beaten inside.

That Myers kid could take Scobee's job.  The first thing I noticed are his arms.  He seems like he has some pretty big arms.    If he has the accuracy, consistency and mental toughness to go along with that leg strength, we will have a new kicker..

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

No way would I let Meyers walk out of here . Accurate booming leg. He's got a great future. He was kicking them long with big air .

Let's not go overboard on the Jason Myers thing. He made a 60 yarder without much of a rush... And Scobee missed a 60 yarder. Nothing crazy here. I thought Scobee looked better on kickoffs. I'm sure Myers has improved, but its not exactly like he dominated in college. He was like a 50% field goal kicker. Myers will have to show an awful lot and Scobee will have to fall off a cliff for Myers to take the job. Myers likely will set himself up nicely for a job with another team at some point during this season.

Quote:Let's not go overboard on the Jason Myers thing. He made a 60 yarder without much of a rush... And Scobee missed a 60 yarder. Nothing crazy here. I thought Scobee looked better on kickoffs. I'm sure Myers has improved, but its not exactly like he dominated in college. He was like a 50% field goal kicker. Myers will have to show an awful lot and Scobee will have to fall off a cliff for Myers to take the job. Myers likely will set himself up nicely for a job with another team at some point during this season.

The point is, the team set up scenarios for a reason. Despite the 2nd team offense moving the ball, there is a reason the coaches scripted a 60 yard kick for both kickers...Josh failed badly while Myers nailed it easily.

Kickoffs better? Myers kick went past the back of the endzone.

I mentioned this last year, and was dismissed a bit, but its clear Josh's leg has already gotten weak. I remember his rookie year, his kickoffs would boom past the endzone...and that was on the longer kickoff before they changed the rules. Last year you had blocked kicks and questions on whether kicks were too low. 

I don't care what Myers was in college, just as I don't care what Scobee was as a rookie. All I care about is now, and from what we saw yesterday, Myers has the edge on Josh when it comes to leg strength. Can he do it when the lights come on? We'll see soon enough. If he does, bye bye Josh.

Quote:I would say defense was that good. The back and forth of 1s/2s series and the generic evaluation type play calling makes it a little tough to get any rhythm. Not to mention they were rotations RBs and centers constantly.

Corners had some very good coverage all night and a lot of good pass defenses. DL was causing pressure which I consider more we have a really good DL than a bad OL. Blake's mechanics looked great and he placed the ball very well to ARob (td) Thomas (td) and Hurns (drop). Denard broke a good run and showed some nice cuts. Hard to gauge a lot without love tackling too, they called some sacks and tackles that possibly could have been broken out of.

I really think it's just easier to get a feel for the defense in situations like this than it is for the offense, not to mention they're 3 years into the same scheme and a new offense. We'll get a clearer picture on the offense come the Pit game.

We really don't know. Is it that our corners were blanketing guys or our WRs aren't getting open? The big plays (Arob and JT touchdowns) were great throws by Blake. But there really weren't a lot of WRs running open against our 1st team defense. Again, we just don't know. We certainly are used to seeing no separation when it comes to our WRs since Jimmy.

Pitt will be a good test, as they bring in two guys with speed in Brown and Bryant. 

Quote:The point is, the team set up scenarios for a reason. Despite the 2nd team offense moving the ball, there is a reason the coaches scripted a 60 yard kick for both kickers...Josh failed badly while Myers nailed it easily.

Kickoffs better? Myers kick went past the back of the endzone.

I mentioned this last year, and was dismissed a bit, but its clear Josh's leg has already gotten weak. I remember his rookie year, his kickoffs would boom past the endzone...and that was on the longer kickoff before they changed the rules. Last year you had blocked kicks and questions on whether kicks were too low.

I don't care what Myers was in college, just as I don't care what Scobee was as a rookie. All I care about is now, and from what we saw yesterday, Myers has the edge on Josh when it comes to leg strength. Can he do it when the lights come on? We'll see soon enough. If he does, bye bye Josh.

I haven't watched the video, but the kickoff from Myers that I remember was low and a few yards into the endzone and Robinson took a handoff from the assistant next to him. Not a bad kickoff, but not booming out the back of the endzone.

You are making an awful lot out of one missed 60 yard field goal. During warmups, Scobee was making them just fine.

Once live and another time this morning on this site.  A few thoughts....

Bortles looks good thus far when the line gave him time.  Henne continues to look good in bursts and then suddenly makes stupid throws.  Tuel looked decent for a #3, and edges over Morris.

The OL did not look that improved to me overall; the DL was very solid.

Benn and Washington put in strong efforts to claim the last WR spots.  Not much for our draft picks last night...Greene was not targeted, and Sterling looks like a practice squad guy to me in limited work.

I liked all the backs, except Gerhart.  Yeldon looks the real deal with his slide steps and vision.  Denard has got moves, but did get beat in pass protection on Smith's sack.  I was pleasantly surprised by Pierce's ability (I had him written off as a released 2nd round draft bust).

Scobee, due to make $3.4m in base, better pick it up, as Myers did have the stronger leg last night, and was accurate.

Telvin Smith made multiple plays and stood out to me.  Skuta and Poz were solid.  The backup LBs looked pretty good to me (better if George had held onto Henne's gift).  

Julius Thomas is going to be a weapon this year, and got to see some good stuff from him last night.  I thought it interesting that just after halftime, they started the offense in a 3 TE set, with Thomas, Lewis, and Harbor.  It was just for one play, but was an interesting twist. 

Quote:I haven't watched the video, but the kickoff from Myers that I remember was low and a few yards into the endzone and Robinson took a handoff from the assistant next to him. Not a bad kickoff, but not booming out the back of the endzone.

You are making an awful lot out of one missed 60 yard field goal. During warmups, Scobee was making them just fine.
Myers also kicked one out the back of the EZ.

Grant caught it out of bounds and ran to the 40.

I hope that was just a stand in for a new Jaxson yesterday.. That was one lethargic cat..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

At this point, it's a matter of who is more accurate. Myers has the stronger leg, if he doesn't miss any FGs in preseason and Scobee misses some, the switch will be made

Quote:Myers also kicked one out the back of the EZ.

Grant caught it out of bounds and ran to the 40.

I'd like to see Grant win the kick return job. I don't think he'll beat DRob or Yeldon for rb, but he could be our Hester/Cribbs type player.

40 yard return from out of the end zone is impressive.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS