Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Scrimmage Thread

So Tuel over Morris?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Regarding Tony Washington, he seems to be the creation of Chad Henne, which is not that surprising in as much as Henne is 2nd team and Washington plays 2nd team. Washington is very much like Cecil Shorts, which is to say, Washington is clearly Henne's favorite target and the one WR that Henne looks to in passing situations.

To Washington's credit, he is hanging onto the ball and making plays when he is given the opportunity.

It should be noted that there is a reason that Washington plays 2nd team and both Benn and Green have had more 1st team reps with Bortles.

Lastly, note who Washington is going up against? From what I saw, Washington was going up against Tommie Campbell at CB and Matt Daniels at S.

Washington has earned some 1st team reps with Blake. Perhaps that happens during the preseason.

I agree Washington is the 6th WR, as Henne's favorite, but I am not convinced he makes the 53 man roster.

One observation that seems abundantly clear to me, is that the Jags new offense, is TE-centric. Sure having Julius Thomas around kind of tilts the field in that direction, but Marcedes Lewis and Clay Harbor are also big components of this offense, as much so as the first team WRs. We should expect a lot of three TE sets in the Jags version of the West Coast offense. I also think that Toby Gerhart will be used more like Clay Harbor as that 3rd TE/H-Back.

It seems to me that T.J. Yeldon and Denard Robinson are very good complimentary RBs. Yeldon is clearly a much better inside RB, because of his patience and quick feet, while Robinson is more of an outside sweep RB. I would anticipate more screen plays with Robinson to get him out of the edge especially in three TE sets where the TEs and Allen Robinson are blocking downfield for him.

I like what I saw of Bernard Pierce during the scrimmage. He clearly has a leg up on Storm Johnson because of his pass protection skills. Both run the ball in a similar fashion so it is the pass blocking that will give Pierce the nod.

I could see Grant making the team over Storm due to his special team skillset which is still developing.

Based upon what I saw, the pass rush is going to be dynamically affected by the presence of Jared Odrick at the Strongside DE position. I think he will be a mismatch for most ORTs and will chase a number of QBs right into the arms of whomever is playing the Leo DE position.

Speaking of the Leo position, I like what I see of the trio of Andre Branch, Ryan Davis and Chris Smith. I am not writing off Chis Clemons, but his absence is giving these three guys an opportunity to show what they can do. Is it possible that all four can make this roster? I don't know but I am pretty sure that the preseason will settle this issue.

While I realize that it is still early, it seems to me that Nick Marshalls is flashing big time and is a clearly frontrunner for that 5th CB spot on the team. He just seems to be a natural at the CB position and his size and speed look to translate well to a big specials teams player.

Not sure the numbers game translates well to keeping more than 8 Olineman on the 53 man roster. To me the 8th Olineman comes down to a battle between Josh Wells and Austin Pasztor as the swing OT. Parnell, Linder, Wisniewski, Bowanko, Cann, Beadles and Joeckel all seem to be locks to make the roster. Whomever loses the OC starting job will be a backup OG, which leaves one spot for the swing OT position. I am guessing right now that Josh Wells is the pick, because of his play at OLT, but nothing is set in stone as of yet.

Is it just me, or is the play of Sergio Brown drawing the sound of crickets when it comes to dishing out accolades? I like what I have seen so far from Cyprien, Evans and even Loston, but Brown has been like a ghost in that secondary. Perhaps Colvin, House and Telvin Smith are taking up all the oxygen, but it would seem that Brown would at least get some mentions. Maybe Brown is just playing solid like McCray and thus does not flash like Colvin or House.

Speaking of House, his coverage on Allen Robinson on that TD catch was just fine. Bortles just put the ball in the right place and Robinson made an insane catch.

I like the play of House so far and feel that he and Colvin are the two starters with McCray coming in as the nickel outside CB, with Colvin moving inside.

Looking forward to seeing Gratz playing more in preseason.

Quote:Is it just me, or is the play of Sergio Brown drawing the sound of crickets when it comes to dishing out accolades?

All I've heard about Brown is that he likes to talk a lot and that at one practice he and Julius Thomas were matched up for the majority of the time and Thomas was getting the better of him, I'm sure Thomas gets the better of most so it's not a huge indictment.

I'm not expecting any big plays from Sergio, just hoping he can be steady in the backfield with the hopes that James Sample is the future of that position.

Quote:It seems to me that T.J. Yeldon and Denard Robinson are very good complimentary RBs. Yeldon is clearly a much better inside RB, because of his patience and quick feet, while Robinson is more of an outside sweep RB. I would anticipate more screen plays with Robinson to get him out of the edge especially in three TE sets where the TEs and Allen Robinson are blocking downfield for him.

I like what I saw of Bernard Pierce during the scrimmage. He clearly has a leg up on Storm Johnson because of his pass protection skills. Both run the ball in a similar fashion so it is the pass blocking that will give Pierce the nod.

I could see Grant making the team over Storm due to his special team skillset which is still developing.

I think labeling Robinson an outside sweep type of back is doing him a disservice. He looked fine going up the middle on perhaps the best run of the night, juking Telvin Smith out of his shoes on the way.

No doubt that Denard Robinson is a versatile RB, but make no mistake, he is the speed RB in the tandom with T.J. Yeldon and as such, IMO, Yeldon is the better inside runner and Denard the better outside RB.

Quote:No doubt that Denard Robinson is a versatile RB, but make no mistake, he is the speed RB in the tandom with T.J. Yeldon and as such, IMO, Yeldon is the better inside runner and Denard the better outside RB.

I think it's premature to say one is better than the other at anything right now. All we know is one is faster.

Last night, Yeldon's best run was outside the left tackle for 7 yards and Robinsons was inside the right guard for 20+.

Watching the scrimmage now and listening to John O is making it nearly impossible to enjoy. Maybe it's the tone of his voice, I don't know. Where was Lageman or Boselli?

John O is hard to look at, listen to and read.

It's nothing more than yet another public practice.  The real purpose is to walk the players through what happens on game day with the fans, cheerleaders, stadium, etc.  There is nothing remotely close to being "game speed" going on.

The first "real" test will be next Friday.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Yeldon will be fine as an outside runner because he can break tackles and if not he will get an extra 2-3 yards. Drob is obviously faster and if he gets green in front of him he is gone but for comparison I would say yeldon is like Jeremy Hill and Drob is like Giovani Bernard in regard to the roles they play

Quote:Yeldon will be fine as an outside runner because he can break tackles and if not he will get an extra 2-3 yards. Drob is obviously faster and if he gets green in front of him he is gone but for comparison I would say yeldon is like Jeremy Hill and Drob is like Giovani Bernard in regard to the roles they play

If it plays out like that I'll be pretty satisfied.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I can live with that comparison. In fact I hope it plays out that well for the Jags.

If DRob and Yeldon aren't a combo on par of Peterson and Barry Sanders then they're both busts and Dave should be fired.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

The first two series looked like last year.  Oline better get it together quick.  They were manhandled on those first two drives.  Can't tell if they picked it up or the D line took their foot off the gas.