Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Corrine Brown not happy

(This post was last modified: 08-07-2015, 06:53 AM by The Real Marty.)

Comment withdrawn, 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:These "majority-minority" districts were originally set up by the Dems to Pub opposition. Corrine Brown's is rather, shall we say, oddly shaped. When the Pubs saw that putting so many Dems into one district was beneficial to their overall success they jumped on the bandwagon.

But a fairly recent amendment to the Florida Constitution requires reasonably shaped districts. There is no way to get a  "majority-minority" district and still satisfy the constitution.

Bingo.   These districts are the result of an unholy alliance between African American politicians and Republicans.  

Goodbye moderate democrats.  Goodbye moderate republicans.  Goodbye contested elections.   All districts shall be pure blue or pure red.  No purple districts allowed.   Incumbents forever.  More polarization in congress. 

Quote:Bingo.   These districts are the result of an unholy alliance between African American politicians and Republicans.  

Goodbye moderate democrats.  Goodbye moderate republicans.  Goodbye contested elections.   All districts shall be pure blue or pure red.  No purple districts allowed.   Incumbents forever.  More polarization in congress. 

Sounds about right...  It's a sad state of affairs...  And because of the complete polarization, we elect people that are unwilling to find any sort of solution/compromise.  

Quote:I'm sure the "usual suspect" will enter the thread at some point and try to validate her motives..

Don't you hate it when the usual suspects don't show up. Dang it!

Quote:Don't you hate it when the usual suspects don't show up. Dang it!

That Kaiser Sosai is one crafty son of a gun...

Quote:Don't you hate it when the usual suspects don't show up. Dang it!

Suspect.. Singular.. And I'm sure he's lurking and ready to pounce like a panther..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

I'm shaking with antici....

I'd be so happy to be out her district
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

I was just skimming some news and came across this story on channel 4's site.

Quote: 

"It's about drawing districts that put communities of interest together. Period," she said during a press conference in Orlando. "Jacksonville, Florida has nothing in common with North Florida."

Did she really say that?

Yet, to use some Donald Trump terminology, "stupid people will elect stupid people".  That's why we have "stupid" people in Washington DC.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:I was just skimming some news and came across<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.news4jax.com/politics/lawmakers-to-try-again-on-congressional-redistricting/34622426'> this story</a> on channel 4's site.

Did she really say that?

Yet, to use some Donald Trump terminology, "stupid people will elect stupid people". That's why we have "stupid" people in Washington DC.

I don't think she could create such a coherent thought.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:I was just skimming some news and came across<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.news4jax.com/politics/lawmakers-to-try-again-on-congressional-redistricting/34622426'> this story</a> on channel 4's site.

Did she really say that?

Yet, to use some Donald Trump terminology, "stupid people will elect stupid people". That's why we have "stupid" people in Washington DC.

I like Percy Harvey and Tim Tivo.. Go Gata..

Did she really say that?

It would make more sense to have all of Duval, St. John's and Nassau all in one district and then have baker west in another district. It odd how downtown jacksonville would now get lumped into its own district going west of baker.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Did she really say that?
One of the more intelligent things she's ever said, actually.

The only people who are worse than Corrine are her voters..

Quote:The only people who are worse than Corrine are her voters..

lol. I don't think they really care what Ander Crenshaw's voters think of them.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:One of the more intelligent things she's ever said, actually.

That says a lot about her.  I'll bet that she thinks that Key West and Miami have nothing in common with South Florida.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:That says a lot about her.  I'll bet that she thinks that Key West and Miami have nothing in common with South Florida.
I was about to make a joke about Miami being an exclave of Cuba, but I figured it would go over a few heads both on and off the board.

im all for redrawing the districts, just as long as it dosent disenfranchise minority voters. 

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:im all for redrawing the districts, just as long as it dosent disenfranchise minority voters. 

Everybody still gets one vote.

(OK, some people in Milwaukee and Philadelphia get more than one. But that doesn't matter in this case.)

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:im all for redrawing the districts, just as long as it dosent disenfranchise minority voters. 
That's kind of the problem. The existing districts "overenfranchise" minority voters by virtually guaranteeing them Corrine Brown at the expense of effectively locking them out of surrounding districts. The new district being drawn is much more fair and representative of the state's geography and population distribution (as Congressional districts should be), but Brown is screaming bloody murder because she will no longer have a district stacked with her core demographics. I have no doubt that Brown will try and make it a race/gender/age thing, as it could cost her (an elderly, black woman) her seat, but that battle cry from her shows a fundamental lack of understanding of how Congressional redistricting works. Districts are not supposed to be drawn to guarantee that the incumbent keeps their seat; they're supposed to be drawn so that each district is roughly equivalent to the others in terms of population and drawn in a manner that is inclusive rather than one designed to exclude certain populations (gerrymandering). If Brown's district hadn't been as gerrymandered as it was to keep her in office, she wouldn't be throwing a fit about having the district redrawn properly.