Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Gregg Allman, Southern Rock Pioneer, Dies at 69

Gregg Allman, Southern Rock Pioneer, Dies at 69

Gregg Allman, whose hard-jamming, bluesy sextet the Allman Brothers Band was the pioneering unit in the Southern rock explosion of the ‘70s, died Saturday due to currently unknown causes. He was 69.

http://variety.com/2017/music/people-new...202446640/

Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

RIP, Gregg. I saw him open for Stevie Ray Vaughn in '86 or '87. Fantastic show.

I saw him about 2 years ago. Played most my favorite Allman Bros. songs.

They had a pretty sweet sound.
s
;

;

(This post was last modified: 05-27-2017, 06:01 PM by rollerjag.)

We've lost some legendary performers lately, but this one hits close to home. That voice and the way his Hammond B-3 blended with guitars are iconic and laid the soundtrack of my youth.

RIP Gregg Allman. Say hello to Duane and Barry.

[Image: gregandduane.jpg]

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Another legend gone too soon. His health had been touch and go for a few years now but it's still a big loss to the music scene. 

[Image: 2irq9op.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

They actually played one of their first gigs at a school dance in a hall at St. Andrews Church in Arlington. One of my cousins attended. They played pretty much anywhere people would listen when they were trying to craft their sound in the late 60's.

RIP
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

From a friend of mine that worked with Gregg for the past several years:

Quote:"On Saturday, we all lost an icon of true rock and roll musical expression. Gregg Allman and his visionary brother Duane, created the band that was essentially the Beatles for every kid in America that wanted to play the blues, and beyond…The Allmans were the big bang moment for me. Their concerts and albums were a regular fixture of my childhood in the late 80s and into the 90s. Their band has always been the template for a seamless fusion of groove, improvisational propulsion, incendiary hook laden song craft and of course, those world weary and iconic vocals of our man Gregg. Does anyone doubt that he is the greatest white blues singer of all time? I certainly do not. 

<p style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(29,33,41);">But to the end, Gregg and I would have endless listening sessions, Howling Wolf or Muddy or Bobby Bland blasting over his speakers, and Gregg would still marvel at that mastery. He was a humble and dedicated song craftsmen and song interpreter to the bitter end. And that is the key. I have so many personal thoughts and memories at this time. Over the last few years, we became very close. Sure I started out as a fan, then his guitarist, but our relationship grew to become songwriters, band leaders and friends together. There were many many laughs and late-night conversations either on that bus blazing down another lost highway, or on his back porch in Savannah with a raging red sunset over the boat slip as our backdrop. Those talks would veer all over but one of our themes was the state of music in the last several years. 

<p style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(29,33,41);"> 

<p style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(29,33,41);">There were always signs of hope but the general feel from this musical master who participated in one of our greatest moments in the American musical renaissance was that we had to all find our way back to being an original. Gregg was not just obsessed with blues, by the way. We would also often listen to Pharaoh Sanders, he adored Tim Buckley and played just about the most heart renching version of “Once I Was” you could ever imagine. 

<p style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(29,33,41);"> 

<p style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(29,33,41);">With each passing legend from our musical renaissance, I end up asking “what now?” and again and again the lesson is clear. If you’re a fan, buy a record or a ticket. If you’re an executive in entertainment help a band, a band with their own sound who needs some real help, and not another hollow tribute to what was, but what can be. 

<p style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(29,33,41);">And, if you’re a musician and you really want to pay tribute to this great man, his brother and their bands legacy, learn every precious note of the masters and then go your own way. Also remember, Gregg was all about the song and capturing the beauty and expression in a perfect lyric, chord change, voicing and groove. We need more of that spirit in our creations. 

<p style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(29,33,41);">As much as the guitar solos of this music were life changing epic improvisations, without the compositions and the groove they mean nothing. I’m sure Duane knew that. After all, he was the shining star for all the men of the Allmans. He was a master curator and deep philosophical searcher from what I've heard. My sole comfort today in losing my friend is that he is back with his brother and beloved Mama A. Play the big and true notes and support them with all your heart, hug and love those around you every day, even the ones with whom you disagree. What these men did was rain truth daggers of love and unity in every salvo of sound from the stage. One true note can slice into every heart. I truly believe this was Gregg’s goal every time he took the stage or stepped to a mic, I never saw him miss."

<p style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(29,33,41);">-Scott Sharrard

[Image: 2irq9op.jpg]