Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Good not Great MLB players

Quote:Mookie Blaylock Wilson. He was never great, but that guy could fight off a 3-2 pitch for what seemed like an hour.

Dale Murphy. He gave a lot of years to a pretty bad Braves roster.

Mark Grace. Guy was just fun to watch. He always appeared to genuinely enjoy playing baseball.

Bernie Williams. Simply put, teams have to have a player like Williams in order to be good.

Walt Weiss. Solid Shortstop that I always enjoyed watching play.

Mike Mussina. I would always watch him pitch, even when he was wearing the pinstripes.

Gary Sheffield. Head case, but he hit the ball hard every game. It might not always result in a fair hit, but he made contact.

Mussina was really really good.  I think he got overshadowed by some of the other Yankees

How about David Justice or Ron Gant.

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-22-2015, 03:49 PM by RicoTx.)

Quote:Regarding pinch hitters, I put Manny Mota at or near the top of any list.

Another great Dodger PH...Vic Davalillo. Phillies also had one of the all time greats in Greg Gross.

Edit: Wow, I didn't realize Lenny Harris was that far above everybody.  There's some pretty interesting stats on this page.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I think Mussina is a borderline HoF candidate.

270 wins. 2800 strikeouts. 7 Gold Gloves.

;

;

Quote:How about David Justice or Ron Gant.

The 91 Braves had some good ones for the list. Otis Nixon, Terry Pendleton, Charlie Liebrandt, Alejandro Pena.

;

;

Jim Edmonds 

(This post was last modified: 06-22-2015, 04:00 PM by trunt87.)

I remember this Center Fielder for the Cardinals who used to always tear the braves up, but I can't remember his name for anything.  It is driving me crazy.  He was a black dude.

Just remembered...

Ray Lankford

Quote:I think Mussina is a borderline HoF candidate.

Not to mention that he won double digit games every season that he played, but I think he gets overshadowed by that rotation that he was in. Pettite, Clemens, Wells, etc. I mean, I won't argue if he gets into the Hall, but I just don't think he will.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I think Mussina is a borderline HoF candidate.

Yea, I had a buddy tell me Mussina deserved to be in the HoF once and I said he was crazy.  then, I looked at his numbers and changed my opinion.

― Albert Camus

Quote:I remember this Center Fielder for the Cardinals who used to always tear the braves up, but I can't remember his name for anything.  It is driving me crazy.  He was a black dude.

Just remembered...

Ray Lankford

When Lankford showed up, he really showed up.

Someone above mentioned Otis Nixon.  I remember thinking it was amazing how dude who looked like he was 200 years old could move that fast.

― Albert Camus

Andruw Jones was a great player for the braves. Fell off big time, but he made some of the greatest plays I have ever seen.

Some 80's pitchers. Frank Viola, Orel Hershiser, Mark Langston, Mike Scott, Brett Saberhagen, Dennis Martinez, Dave Stewart.

Quote:Some 80's pitchers. Frank Viola, Orel Hershiser, Mark Langston, Mike Scott, Brett Saberhagen, Dennis Martinez, Dave Stewart.

Saberhagen was great....every other year!

David Cone was really really good. 

― Albert Camus

Quote:Mookie Blaylock Wilson. He was never great, but that guy could fight off a 3-2 pitch for what seemed like an hour.

Dale Murphy. He gave a lot of years to a pretty bad Braves roster.

Mark Grace. Guy was just fun to watch. He always appeared to genuinely enjoy playing baseball.

Bernie Williams. Simply put, teams have to have a player like Williams in order to be good.

Walt Weiss. Solid Shortstop that I always enjoyed watching play.

Mike Mussina. I would always watch him pitch, even when he was wearing the pinstripes.

Gary Sheffield. Head case, but he hit the ball hard every game. It might not always result in a fair hit, but he made contact.

Good list Deacon, except for the Mookie mix up.

I remember Walt Weiss telling a story about a HR he hit back in his Oakland A's days with the bash brothers.  He said he hit a HR during one of games with the A's and the fan who caught it wanted to get it signed. The fan either brought it or sent it ( I don't remember which one) to the clubhouse to get it signed, but they wanted to get it signed by Jose Conseco, not Walt, who had hit the HR.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:Saberhagen was great....every other year!

I remember that. One of the oddities of baseball.

Steve Finley.

300+ HRs and 300+ SBs

Juan Samuel...I think he played until he was 100.

Willie Montanez

Vince Coleman
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Gary Gaetti and Greg Gagne

Melvin Mora

Quote:Melvin Mora

Great choice!

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:OK...I'll play:

Larry Bowa

That's crazy because this was the 1st dude that came to my mind.   I hated the Phils but they had a great lineup and

I just googled the trade.  Cubs get Larry Bowa and some dude in the Philly farm system named Ryne Sandberg ////  Phillies get Ivan DeJesus