Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Good not Great MLB players

(This post was last modified: 06-24-2015, 03:33 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

i definitely agree with Dykstra.

Does Barry Bonds count?  He'll never sniff the HOF

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-24-2015, 03:36 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Anyone mention Larry Walker (Rockies) yet?

Johnny Damon was good with the Red Sox.

Quote:Some 80's pitchers. Frank Viola, Orel Hershiser, Mark Langston, Mike Scott, Brett Saberhagen, Dennis Martinez, Dave Stewart.

I'm not certain if it was because of Monday Night Baseball or not but Hersheiser, Saberhagen, Ron Guidry, and Steve Carlton are very visible in my memories; even more so than Nolan Ryan, Gooden, and Clemons (as I look back at the top pitchers website)

You could probably throw alot of solid relievers in this list.

John Franco, Tom Henke, Jeff Reardon.

;

;

Quote:i definitely agree with Dykstra.

Does Barry Bonds count? He'll never sniff the HOF

Well since you're mentioning Phillies I'll flip-flop and mention:

Rennie Stennet

Dave Cash

Bill Madlock
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Another former Phillie, Gary Matthews.

Somehow my first baseball glove as a kid was a Gary Matthews glove. Probably a hand me down or from Goodwill.

;

;

Quote:Well since you're mentioning Phillies I'll flip-flop and mention:

Rennie Stennet

Dave Cash

Bill Madlock

Cash & Stennett were both solid and consistent.

Getting Mad Dog (Madlock) from the Giants was a steal ..... 

06-28-1979

Traded by San Francisco Giants with Lenny Randle and Dave Roberts to Pittsburgh Pirates in exchange for Ed Whitson, Fred Breining and Al Holland (June 28, 1979).

Anyone remember U.L. Washington (KC Royals) playing with a toothpick in his mouth all of the time.

Michael Young

Alfonso Soriano

Quote:Anyone remember U.L. Washington (KC Royals) playing with a toothpick in his mouth all of the time.

Yes. Along with Frank White, the DP combo for the Royals when the Phils beat them in the World Series in 80. I think Willie Wilson struck out 100 times in that World Series. Actually only 13 but it was a record at the time.

And the above reminds me of another.

Amos Otis

One player still active who is a very good, extremely versatile player is Martin Prado.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:And the above reminds me of another.

Amos Otis

One of the worst trades the Mets ever made was trading a young Amos Otis for Joe Foy. 

Dave Kingman

Jack Clark

Rob Deer

Cecil Fielder

Gorman Thomas

Sensing a theme here?
<FONT size=3>The secret to surfing is don't do anything.</FONT>

Quote:Dave Kingman

Jack Clark

Rob Deer

Cecil Fielder

Gorman Thomas

Sensing a theme here?

Recently retired Adam Dunn comes to mind when reflecting on your list.   Any of these players was a prime candidate to lead the league in HRs and Strikeouts.  

(This post was last modified: 06-30-2015, 02:59 PM by RicoTx.)

Quote:Recently retired Adam Dunn comes to mind when reflecting on your list. Any of these players was a prime candidate to lead the league in HRs and Strikeouts.

I don't think Clark belongs in that group. You could certainly add Mark Reynolds to that group and he may have a leg up on them. Hell, he had 200+ strikeouts for three straight years.  He's a dominant force on this list.

Quote:I don't think Clark belongs in that group. You could certainly add Mark Reynolds to that group and he may have a leg up on them. Hell, he had 200+ strikeouts for three straight years.  He's a dominant force on this list.

I definitely know where you are coming from regarding Jack Clark.   He's probably at or near the borderline of the group,

Overall,  these type of players are enjoyable to watch because of their ability to hit moonshots.   But on the other side of the coin,   they are prone to long slumps,  which often lead to extended slumps for the overall team they are on.   Especially,  if they considered everyday starters or close to that.

Quote:Dave Kingman

Jack Clark

Rob Deer

Cecil Fielder

Gorman Thomas

Sensing a theme here?

Pete Incaviglia may also fit on there.

Quote:Pete Incaviglia may also fit on there.

Guy always reminded me of a beer swilling softball player...and I've seen plenty. Smile

Ill just put a two names. 

Vernon Wells

Jorge Posada

Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA