Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What if Mariota has a better rookie year than Bortle's sorphmore year

Quote:He could be below average and have a better season statistically. He needs to be a franchise-worthy QB this season.
I'm not quite sure what a franchise-worthy QB is. If you mean a franchise QB this year, I disagree.  As long as he's progressing, and continuing to improve, that's what matters this year.  The team has invested significant resources into assuring he has every opportunity to take the next step in his progression. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I'm not quite sure what a franchise-worthy QB is. If you mean a franchise QB this year, I disagree.  As long as he's progressing, and continuing to improve, that's what matters this year.  The team has invested significant resources into assuring he has every opportunity to take the next step in his progression. 

Right. Here are some stats for people who think Bortles needs to show "franchise" this year or next.

Year 1 - 17 TD 11INT 2600 yards

Year 2 - 17TD  09INT 2400 yards

Year 3 - 18TD 23INT 3500 yards

Is that guy going to make it and become a franchise QB?

Quote:Not trying to be negative or anything, but how would anyone here feel if at the end of week 17, Mariota has a more impressive year -- statwise and playmaking ability and performance -- than Bortle's sorphmore year?

Its a long distance race unless Mariota wins the Superbowl in his rookie or 2nd year it doesn't really matter...

I dont think he'll be great in that system unless they are changing their offense to suit his style I expect Winston will play better than him.

Quote:Right. Here are some stats for people who think Bortles needs to show "franchise" this year or next.

Nope...  These days he gets replaced after year 3.

Quote:Nope...  These days he gets replaced after year 3.
You might be right. Of course it's Big Ben's stats for his first three seasons. It's not like there haven't been tons of guys that flashed the kind of promise that Bortles has flashed while also failing to put up big stats for years before breaking into the elite production tiers.

Quote:You might be right. Of course it's Big Ben's stats for his first three seasons. It's not like there haven't been tons of guys that flashed the kind of promise that Bortles has flashed while also failing to put up big stats for years before breaking into the elite production tiers.
I was wondering who you were pulling out of the hat...  Those were some really good teams around Ben those years and he wasn't asked to do much.  He certainly looked like a seasoned pro as a rookie when he marched the Steelers' offense down the field against us for the game winning field goal with less than two minutes left right after we thought we had scored the winning touchdown.  I know I was shocked... Here's to hoping Blake has that kind of crunch time magic.

Quote:I was wondering who you were pulling out of the hat...  Those were some really good teams around Ben those years and he wasn't asked to do much.  He certainly looked like a seasoned pro as a rookie when he marched the Steelers' offense down the field against us for the game winning field goal with less than two minutes left right after we thought we had scored the winning touchdown.  I know I was shocked... Here's to hoping Blake has that kind of crunch time magic.

Blake's shown he's got the mental makeup to drive the team in pressure situations. The rest of the team just needs to stop dropping and fumbling the ball so much.

Blake was a rookie.  If you would have put peyton manning, rodgers, or brady they all would of struggled with that offense last year.  Horrible pass blocking, no running game, rookie receivers and line. 

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:Right. Here are some stats for people who think Bortles needs to show "franchise" this year or next.

Just for clarity, Big Ben had a Quarter back rating of 98.1, 98.6, and 75.4 throughout the listed years.  The third year was the worst of his entire career, so it's a bit arbitrary;  keep in mind that in year 3, Roethlisberger was hit while riding his motorcycle during training camp causing a nearly fatal injury, had an emergency appendectomy that caused him to miss the first game of the year, and suffered a concussion in game 7 that affected him for several games in the following weeks (garnered from a wiki page.)

If you add in the 4th year its 32TD, 11INT, and 3154 with rating of 104.1.  He was basically an instant fit, with one single down year.

(This post was last modified: 06-23-2015, 11:26 AM by SeldomRite.)

Quote:Just for clarity, Big Ben had a Quarter back rating of 98.1, 98.6, and 75.4 throughout the listed years.  The third year was the worst of his entire career, so it's a bit arbitrary;  keep in mind that in year 3, Roethlisberger was hit while riding his motorcycle during training camp causing a nearly fatal injury, had an emergency appendectomy that caused him to miss the first game of the year, and suffered a concussion in game 7 that affected him for several games in the following weeks (garnered from a wiki page.)

If you add in the 4th year its 32TD, 11INT, and 3154 with rating of 104.1.  He was basically an instant fit, with one single down year.

Much the way Bortles showed he's obviously a strong prospect in spite of being "bottom of the league" to the espn talking heads that don't actually know the circumstances and just look at box scores. Sometimes you have to look beyond raw stats at the player instead of the stats which are heavily influenced by situation. The same kind of game can be played with guys like Steve Young, Brett Favre, Eli Manning, or Steve McNair. All of them had a pretty rough statistical start to their careers and went on to be highly successful. Same with Drew Brees, who didn't even look like an elite prospect early on.

We can see it with Bortles, even if he's a 20TD/15INT guy this season with 3000 yards it doesn't change that we can actually see he has the right traits to be at least a good QB once he's got the requisite experience and roster quality around him with a real chance at being great.

Quote:Much the way Bortles showed he's obviously a strong prospect in spite of being "bottom of the league" to the espn talking heads that don't actually know the circumstances and just look at box scores. Sometimes you have to look beyond raw stats at the player instead of the stats which are heavily influenced by situation. The same kind of game can be played with guys like Steve Young, Brett Favre, Eli Manning, or Steve McNair. All of them had a pretty rough statistical start to their careers and went on to be highly successful. Same with Drew Brees, who didn't even look like an elite prospect early on.

We can see it with Bortles, even if he's a 20TD/15INT guy this season with 3000 yards it doesn't change that we can actually see he has the right traits to be at least a good QB once he's got the requisite experience and roster quality around him with a real chance at being great.

People didn't say Steve Young, Brett Favre, Drew Brees, and Steve McNair were going to become all-stars until after the fact. You can tell yourself that Bortles will be an all-star based on how he looked and not his statistics, but in actuality we won't know until it happens. I hope it does happen, but as always with my Jaguars, I am skeptical.

ProFootball Focus rated Blake Bortles as poor for their updated Depth Charts in the NFL.

We can make excuses for him as we did Blaine Gabbert, but I am hoping he will improve this year and show us what is to come for the next several years of Jacksonville success.

One thing is for sure he'll have a much improved OLine, and at least two good Receivers to throw to along with a running game (hopefully).

Every time I see someone make a comparison to Blaine Gabbert in any way, shape, or form...I have to laugh.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:People didn't say Steve Young, Brett Favre, Drew Brees, and Steve McNair were going to become all-stars until after the fact. You can tell yourself that Bortles will be an all-star based on how he looked and not his statistics, but in actuality we won't know until it happens. I hope it does happen, but as always with my Jaguars, I am skeptical.

Don't mistake my comment for saying he's going to be the next in a line of all time great QBs, I only mean that eye popping performance in the second or third season of a QB's career isn't a requirement for future success.

Quote:ProFootball Focus rated Blake Bortles as poor for their updated Depth Charts in the NFL.

We can make excuses for him as we did Blaine Gabbert, but I am hoping he will improve this year and show us what is to come for the next several years of Jacksonville success.

One thing is for sure he'll have a much improved OLine, and at least two good Receivers to throw to along with a running game (hopefully).

That they rated Henne as better than Bortles really says everything we need to know about those ratings.

The Junieur Year is more important than the Sorphmore Year.

Quote:That they rated Henne as better than Bortles really says everything we need to know about those ratings.

This. Besides the first half of the Philly game, Henne was god awful yet still has a higher rating than Blake.

Blake passed the eye test last season, and that's more than we've been able to say since Garrard
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:That they rated Henne as better than Bortles really says everything we need to know about those ratings.

Good point

Quote:This. Besides the first half of the Philly game, Henne was god awful yet still has a higher rating than Blake.

Blake passed the eye test last season, and that's more than we've been able to say since Garrard

And even the first half of the philly game was more about everyone around Henne's performance than Henne's performance in and of itself. I think Bortles had much more impressive stretches of game time throughout the season than Henne's first half in Philadelphia.

Although Rotoworld did post this about WR Allen Robinson

ESPN Jaguars reporter Mike DiRocco says Allen Robinson was the team's "most impressive offensive player" during OTAs and had "numerous wow catches."

It's similar to what the Associated Press reported from Jags minicamp last week. Robinson has earned the title of No. 1 wideout with his play, starting with last year's injury-shortened yet impressive rookie campaign and continuing on once healed from a broken foot. If Blake Bortles can even take a small step forward in Year 2, Robinson will be a steal in the middle rounds of fantasy drafts.