Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
All AFC South team ?

Quote:Aside from Reggie Wayne and Robert Mathis, name the roster full of veterans? Luck played with T.Y. Hilton, Whalen, Brazill, Fleener, D.Allen, and Vick Ballard -- all rookies on offense. I'm sorry but there are more similarities between the two teams, (which had to rebuild) than you are giving credit for. 

I do agree that the Colts defense was better than the Jaguars defense, but it was not a good defense. Average would be a good description at moments. Below average is far more suitable.

The post that I responded to mentioned that Luck had been mediocre to bad, to which I responded that he had the best 3-year start of any QB in history, as far as passing yards are concerned. He also had a great start as far as wins and TDs are concerned. Yes, the INTs are an issue, but he still compensates that by winning.

Luck has improved every year he has been in the league, with the exception of the one year that he was injured (last year). You are going to base your analysis that he regressed on 1 year -- the only year he was injured -- and ignore the other three years? Is that an intellectually honest approach?
No I'm basing it on the fact that he was a sure-fire can't miss prospect and should be light years ahead of where he is going into his 4th and 5th seasons.

Sure he was injured. But he was playing poorly before he was injured.

And he may not have had a lot of seasoned vets, he surely didn't have the depleted roster the Jaguars had. He didn't have 2nd year guys blocking on the Oline and he had no veteran help in the backfield.

Zip.

The clots were a good enough team, had a tankeriffic season keeping Painter in, grabbed Luck and zoomed right back to the top of a bad division.

Now the bad teams have actually gotten better and the QB that should be able to carry his team, actually seems to regress.

Luck had a helluva rookie year. But by those standards he had an average sophmore season.... his INTs came back up in his 3rd year, while he did hit yardage highs....his total turnovers were 20.

I'm not basing anything on the fact Luck was injured.... prior to injury he was on pace for 3600 yards 30 TDs 24 INTs

Maybe Luck bounces back... or maybe he is just another run of the mill QB.

Not so special...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Not to mention Luck is what, .500 against non AFCS opponents?

IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:No I'm basing it on the fact that he was a sure-fire can't miss prospect and should be light years ahead of where he is going into his 4th and 5th seasons.

Sure he was injured. But he was playing poorly before he was injured.

And he may not have had a lot of seasoned vets, he surely didn't have the depleted roster the Jaguars had. He didn't have 2nd year guys blocking on the Oline and he had no veteran help in the backfield.

Zip.

The clots were a good enough team, had a tankeriffic season keeping Painter in, grabbed Luck and zoomed right back to the top of a bad division.

Now the bad teams have actually gotten better and the QB that should be able to carry his team, actually seems to regress.

Luck had a helluva rookie year. But by those standards he had an average sophmore season.... his INTs came back up in his 3rd year, while he did hit yardage highs....his total turnovers were 20.

I'm not basing anything on the fact Luck was injured.... prior to injury he was on pace for 3600 yards 30 TDs 24 INTs

Maybe Luck bounces back... or maybe he is just another run of the mill QB.

Not so special...
Let me try to address this one point at a time.

Argument 1: Luck was a sure-fire can't miss prospect: Luck set a rookie passing record and got better each of his first three years -- advancing further into the playoffs each year. The fact that he set numerous league and franchise records does not factor into your analysis? He should be further along now after having the best three year start of any QB in league history? How so. I think he has shown that he is a can't miss prospect.

Argument 2: Luck didn't have a depleted roster: I would argue that Luck did have a depleted roster. As stated in my last post, the Colts relied heavily on rookies on offense and relied on Mathis and Bethea to lead the defense. Everyone else, including an old and ineffective Freeney in a new system was ineffective.

Arguement 3: The Colts tanked: No they didn't tank. Everyone lost their jobs -- the coaches, the GM and the players -- there was no reason to tank. They just ended up with the #1 draft at the right time. Everyone was saying that if you take Manning out of the Colts lineup, they would be a horrible team, and they were right. They had not been drafting well and paying aging players to stick around, depleting the team of real talent.

Quote:Not to mention Luck is what, .500 against non AFCS opponents?
What is Bortles' record against non AFCS opponents? Or for that matter, what is his record against AFCS opponents?

(I'm not here to 'hate' but if we are comparing the two, we have to have an even playing field, right? And we have to allow people to have a differing opinion, as long as it can be argued logically. I state this because another poster told me to leave the forum since my views did not agree with his.) I hope that it's okay for me to provide a different opinion on things without coming off as argumentative. Smile

Quote:If by historically Luck has been mediocre to bad by throwing for the most yards ever by anyone in their first 3 seasons, then yes, you are correct. Otherwise, no. Also, Luck has more wins in his rookie season, 11 compared to Bortles 6 in two seasons. Both had bad defenses, horrible O-lines, no run game and only a good receiving corps to rely on. So you explain why Luck wins and Bortles doesn't. Both teams play in the AFC South and play against each other's horrible defenses.

Historically he's averaged 20 TDs and 13 INTs when you exclude his one big statistical season. That's mediocre to bad, depending on who you ask. If his most recent season was his best one I could understand the argument that he's clearly only improving, but his most recent season was his worst, and he was playing like hot garbage BEFORE he had his injury problems.

Luck has had more wins, and the big reason for that is that he got to play the Gabbert led Jaguars and Locker led titans for years. I'm not saying Luck is terrible, I think he'll easily turn out to be at least the second best guy out of the four starting QBs currently in the AFCS, I'm just not convinced he's better than Bortles, especially considering Bortles was two years younger in 2015 than Luck was when Luck had his big season.

All of that said I expect you'll dismiss all of that because it's not what your emotional mind has decided it wants to hear and you'll get to work on rationalizing why I'm incorrect. I look forward to it.

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2016, 05:22 PM by Flash7.)

Quote:Historically he's averaged 20 TDs and 13 INTs when you exclude his one big statistical season. That's mediocre to bad, depending on who you ask. If his most recent season was his best one I could understand the argument that he's clearly only improving, but his most recent season was his worst, and he was playing like hot garbage BEFORE he had his injury problems.

Luck has had more wins, and the big reason for that is that he got to play the Gabbert led Jaguars and Locker led titans for years. I'm not saying Luck is terrible, I think he'll easily turn out to be at least the second best guy out of the four starting QBs currently in the AFCS, I'm just not convinced he's better than Bortles, especially considering Bortles was two years younger in 2015 than Luck was when Luck had his big season.

All of that said I expect you'll dismiss all of that because it's not what your emotional mind has decided it wants to hear and you'll get to work on rationalizing why I'm incorrect. I look forward to it.
Why would you exclude Luck's one big statistical season and then perform an analysis? Why not include it? Are you including Blake's stats from last year in your assessment of who is better?

Luck had more wins, 11 in his fist year than Bortles in two years combined. Aside from playing the Jags and Titans, (3 wins) he had 8 wins against other teams in his rookie season.

I am not dismissing what you have said, however,  in my opinion, the arguments that you have given do not appear to be solid. I agree that Luck is good, not great and that he is mistake prone. I agree that Bortles is a good QB. Where we disagree is who is the better QB.

Quote:Why would you exclude Luck's one big statistical season and then perform an analysis? Why not include it? Are you including Blake's stats from last year in your assessment of who is better?

Luck had more wins, 11 in his fist year than Bortles in two years combined. Aside from playing the Jags and Titans, (3 wins) he had 8 wins against other teams in his rookie season.

I am not dismissing what you have said, however,  in my opinion, the arguments that you have given do not appear to be solid. I agree that Luck is good, not great and that he is mistake prone. I agree that Bortles is a good QB. Where we disagree is who is the better QB.

I exclude it to illustrate the point that he's been mostly mediocre to bad. Even his "good season" was only perceived as being as good as it was because he was already annointed in the media. Bortles is criticized like no one else for his turnovers, but he literally had only two more turnovers on the 2015 season than Luck had on the 2014 season, and that was in Bortles' second season at 23. Luck had his big year at 25 in his third season.

Like I said, I already know Luck is a better QB than Brock or mariota, but I wouldn't pass Bortles up for him right now.

Quote:I exclude it to illustrate the point that he's been mostly mediocre to bad. Even his "good season" was only perceived as being as good as it was because he was already annointed in the media. Bortles is criticized like no one else for his turnovers, but he literally had only two more turnovers on the 2015 season than Luck had on the 2014 season, and that was in Bortles' second season at 23. Luck had his big year at 25 in his third season.

Like I said, I already know Luck is a better QB than Brock or mariota, but I wouldn't pass Bortles up for him right now.
Honest question: How has Luck been mostly mediocre to bad when he set the league rookie passing record in 2012? Then he goes on to set the passing record for the most passing yards within a player's first 3 years. In his third year, he lead the league in TDs and was third in passing yards. He did have a lot of INTs during that span, but again as stated earlier, he compensated for them by still being able to win. His quarterback rating is the highest of any QB in the league in the 4th quarter.

I argued that the talent between the Jags and Colts are similar: Both teams rely on the QB and receivers. Both teams have bad O-lines, no run game and poor defenses. Yet Luck wins and takes the Colts to the Playoffs each of his first three years. Meanwhile, Bortles hasn't had a season over .500 or close to it. Respectfully, do you have an argument to explain why?

Quote:Honest question: How has Luck been mostly mediocre to bad when he set the league rookie passing record in 2012? Then he goes on to set the passing record for the most passing yards within a player's first 3 years. In his third year, he lead the league in TDs and was third in passing yards. He did have a lot of INTs during that span, but again as stated earlier, he compensated for them by still being able to win. His quarterback rating is the highest of any QB in the league in the 4th quarter.

I argued that the talent between the Jags and Colts are similar: Both teams rely on the QB and receivers. Both teams have bad O-lines, no run game and poor defenses. Yet Luck wins and takes the Colts to the Playoffs each of his first three years. Meanwhile, Bortles hasn't had a season over .500 or close to it. Respectfully, do you have an argument to explain why?

Passing yardage isn't a really significant stat, so the notion that him having more passing yards as a rookie than Cam Newton is impressive doesn't hold a lot of water with me. Cam Newton isn't a great passer, either.

The funny thing is you say that the wins make up for the mediocre play, but wins are what the team gets, not just the QB. Did Bortles play poorly because he lost a game against the titans that he led the offense to six touchdowns in?

The colts haven't been super at every position from 2012 to 2014, but they were MUCH better than the Jaguars of 2014 overall, and significantly better on defense through that stretch than the Jaguars in 2015.

The Jags defense in 2015 allowed 448 points.

In 2014 the colts allowed 369.

How many more games does Bortles "win" if the Jaguars defense was average, like the colts defense has been? How does that change the perception of a guy in his second season?

Flash7,

If you had to do a position by position comparison between the Colts and Jaguars, to which team would you give the advantage at each position and why?

I'll spot you QB since you've been arguing Luck over Bortles all thread.  But you said the Colts and Jaguars have similar talent.  I'd like to see you expound upon that.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:What is Bortles' record against non AFCS opponents? Or for that matter, what is his record against AFCS opponents?

(I'm not here to 'hate' but if we are comparing the two, we have to have an even playing field, right? And we have to allow people to have a differing opinion, as long as it can be argued logically. I state this because another poster told me to leave the forum since my views did not agree with his.) I hope that it's okay for me to provide a different opinion on things without coming off as argumentative. Smile

I get it. My point was that if Luck is supposed to be this "elite" qb, why does he struggle so bad outside of what has been a horrendous division for years? I'd venture to say it's because maybe he's not quite as good as the talking heads want him to be.

As for Bortles, his improvement from year 1 to 2 despite being considered extremely "raw" has me genuinely thinking he could over take Luck as the top qb in the division. Especially when you factor in that Luck was supposedly pretty close to a finished product coming into the NFL
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:Flash7,

If you had to do a position by position comparison between the Colts and Jaguars, to which team would you give the advantage at each position and why?

I'll spot you QB since you've been arguing Luck over Bortles all thread.  But you said the Colts and Jaguars have similar talent.  I'd like to see you expound upon that.

It's a fun exercise. The only starter on defense that anyone could say is a clearly better than average last year was Telvin Smith, and he's not that good in coverage. The only other guys that could be argued were possibly above average were Colvin and House, not top 100 material, but quality starters. On offense I'd give the advantage to the Jaguars almost across the board, but I'm not sure that Flash7 would do the same.

The colts had a clearly better kicker when it came to being able to count on him hitting kicks that should be hit. He did miss extra points, but not nearly as many as Myers.

I'd say that the biggest difference, though, is in coaching. Pagano showed an ability to get his team to win games it should win right from the beginning. That's the biggest difference in the Jaguars and colts right now. The Jaguars continue to enter games they should be able to win completely unprepared. The chargers, falcons, saints, and second titans game are excellent examples of that from 2015. The Jaguars have been the ultimate "get well" team under Bradley. Teams come into the Jaguars game in a tailspin and continually manage to right their ships against sprinkles and the gang.

Quote:Flash7,

Bullseye, thanks for the fun assignment. If it's alright, I though the best way to do this is to compare Bortles second year roster to Luck's second year roster. Here is what we have so far:

Colst 2013-2014 Roster

QB: Luck

OL: Castonzo, Linkenbach, Setele, Thornton, Cherilus

RB: T. Richardson, D. Brown

RE: Wayne, T.Y. Hilton, D. Heyward-Bey, L. Brazill

TE: Fleener, Doyle (Allen on IR)

DL: Jean-Francois, J. Chapman, Cory Redding

LB: Mathis, Walden, Werner,  ILB: Freeman, McNary

CB: V. Davis, C. Vaughn, D. Butler

S:  Bethea, Landry

SP: McAfee, Overton, Vinitieri

2015-2016 Jaguars Roster:

QB: Bortles

OL: Joeckel, Beadles, Wisnewski, Linder/Cann, Parnell

RB: Yeldon, Robinson

TE: J. Thomas, M. Lewis

DL: Clemons, Odrick, Miller, Branch, Marks

LB: Posluszny, Smith, Skuta

CB: House, Colvin, Gratz

S: Cyprien, Brown

SP: Anger, Myers, Tinker

Offense:

QB: As mentioned in your post, I would give the edge to Luck at the QB position, but I certainly understand the argument for Bortles.

OL: Both team's O-lines' need work. I would give the edge to Castonzo at LT and a push between Parnell and Cherilus. All of the others can be graded out evenly, as average to below average.

RB: I would give the edge to Yeldon over the Colts starter, T-Rich, but would give the edge to D. Brown over Robinson. Overall, I tend to think that the Jaguars had a better RB situation.

RE: 1st RE: Wayne played well to start the season, but went on season ending IR. I give the nod to A. Robinson. 2nd: T.Y. vs. Hurns: I give the edge to T.Y (although could go either way). Overall, the Jaguars had a better receiving corps.

TE: The Colts best TE, D. Allen, was on season ending IR. Fleener and J. Thomas is a push, and Doyle Vs. Lewis probably favors Lewis, or can be a push. Overall, it appears that Jags have the advantage or to be even at the TE position.

Defense:

DL: The colts had a really bad D-line. Neither Chapman, Jean-Francois, or Redding are with the team any longer and aside from Redding, their play was average to below average. Advantage goes to the Jags who have done a nice job building the D-line and continue to do so.

LB: The Colts had better outside rush with Mathis at OLB, and Walden helping out.

ILB: Freeman at ILB for the Colts. For the Jags, Smith at ILB, Poz when healthy too. advantage Jags. The Colts second ILB was McNary/ K. Sheppard.

CB: The Colts have Vontae Davis, advantage Colts. D. Butler played well at the nickle CB position. Advantage Colts in the secondary.

S: Bethea played his final season with the Colts and played well. Landry was decent. Advantage Colts.

SP: McAfee, and Vinitieri -- advantage Colts.

Conclusion:

The comparison between the two teams show that the Colts had a slightly better O-line, (although both were below average), however the Jags had a better receiving corps, RB corps, and TE corps. Overall, the Jaguars had a better offense. 

On defense, the Jaguars had the better D-line but the Colts had a better outside rush. The Jaguars ILBs were better, but the Colts had a better secondary and safety tandem. Overall, the Colts had a better defense. In 2013, the Colts defense ranked #20 giving up 336 points in the season, while in the past year, the Jaguars defense ranked #24 giving up 448 points in the season. Overall, I would argue that neither team had a good defense, but the Colts clearly had the better one.

The Colts also had a better special teams. The difference between the two team's defenses and special teams would lead me to think that it justifies the disparity between the two team' win totals. The Colts had a better defense to go along with a good (not great) offense. If you take coaching into perspective, it could further justify the disparity between the win totals. I think the Colts have better coaching and also have a 'wining culture' which motivates the players to think they could win any game, which was evident in their wins against the 49ers, Super Bowl Champion Seahawks, and Super Bowl participant Broncos in 2013.

Quote:Bullseye, thanks for the fun assignment. If it's alright, I though the best way to do this is to compare Bortles second year roster to Luck's second year roster. Here is what we have so far:

Colst 2013-2014 Roster

QB: Luck

OL: Castonzo, Linkenbach, Setele, Thornton, Cherilus

RB: T. Richardson, D. Brown

RE: Wayne, T.Y. Hilton, D. Heyward-Bey, L. Brazill

TE: Fleener, Doyle (Allen on IR)

DL: Jean-Francois, J. Chapman, Cory Redding

LB: Mathis, Walden, Werner,  ILB: Freeman, McNary

CB: V. Davis, C. Vaughn, D. Butler

S:  Bethea, Landry

SP: McAfee, Overton, Vinitieri

2015-2016 Jaguars Roster:

QB: Bortles

OL: Joeckel, Beadles, Wisnewski, Linder/Cann, Parnell

RB: Yeldon, Robinson

TE: J. Thomas, M. Lewis

DL: Clemons, Odrick, Miller, Branch, Marks

LB: Posluszny, Smith, Skuta

CB: House, Colvin, Gratz

S: Cyprien, Brown

SP: Anger, Myers, Tinker

Offense:

QB: As mentioned in your post, I would give the edge to Luck at the QB position, but I certainly understand the argument for Bortles.

OL: Both team's O-lines' need work. I would give the edge to Castonzo at LT and a push between Parnell and Cherilus. All of the others can be graded out evenly, as average to below average.

RB: I would give the edge to Yeldon over the Colts starter, T-Rich, but would give the edge to D. Brown over Robinson. Overall, I tend to think that the Jaguars had a better RB situation.

RE: 1st RE: Wayne played well to start the season, but went on season ending IR. I give the nod to A. Robinson. 2nd: T.Y. vs. Hurns: I give the edge to T.Y (although could go either way). Overall, the Jaguars had a better receiving corps.

TE: The Colts best TE, D. Allen, was on season ending IR. Fleener and J. Thomas is a push, and Doyle Vs. Lewis probably favors Lewis, or can be a push. Overall, it appears that Jags have the advantage or to be even at the TE position.

Defense:

DL: The colts had a really bad D-line. Neither Chapman, Jean-Francois, or Redding are with the team any longer and aside from Redding, their play was average to below average. Advantage goes to the Jags who have done a nice job building the D-line and continue to do so.

LB: The Colts had better outside rush with Mathis at OLB, and Walden helping out.

ILB: Freeman at ILB for the Colts. For the Jags, Smith at ILB, Poz when healthy too. advantage Jags. The Colts second ILB was McNary/ K. Sheppard.

CB: The Colts have Vontae Davis, advantage Colts. D. Butler played well at the nickle CB position. Advantage Colts in the secondary.

S: Bethea played his final season with the Colts and played well. Landry was decent. Advantage Colts.

SP: McAfee, and Vinitieri -- advantage Colts.

Conclusion:

The comparison between the two teams show that the Colts had a slightly better O-line, (although both were below average), however the Jags had a better receiving corps, RB corps, and TE corps. Overall, the Jaguars had a better offense. 

On defense, the Jaguars had the better D-line but the Colts had a better outside rush. The Jaguars ILBs were better, but the Colts had a better secondary and safety tandem. Overall, the Colts had a better defense. In 2013, the Colts defense ranked #20 giving up 336 points in the season, while in the past year, the Jaguars defense ranked #24 giving up 448 points in the season. Overall, I would argue that neither team had a good defense, but the Colts clearly had the better one.

The Colts also had a better special teams. The difference between the two team's defenses and special teams would lead me to think that it justifies the disparity between the two team' win totals. The Colts had a better defense to go along with a good (not great) offense. If you take coaching into perspective, it could further justify the disparity between the win totals. I think the Colts have better coaching and also have a 'wining culture' which motivates the players to think they could win any game, which was evident in their wins against the 49ers, Super Bowl Champion Seahawks, and Super Bowl participant Broncos in 2013.

Just want to be clear, are saying that Luck in 2013 with 23 TDs was the better QB than Bortles in 2015 with 35 TDs, or are you just saying how you feel about them in the general sense regardless of the year you're picking out?

Like I said, if the Jaguars defense holds teams to 336 points in 2015 instead of 448 how many more wins do you figure Bortles gets? How does that affect the perception of him? Second in the NFL in TD passes in his second year and easily winning the AFCS if the defense allows 112 less points.

(This post was last modified: 06-19-2016, 02:22 PM by Flash7.)

Quote:Passing yardage isn't a really significant stat, so the notion that him having more passing yards as a rookie than Cam Newton is impressive doesn't hold a lot of water with me. Cam Newton isn't a great passer, either.

The funny thing is you say that the wins make up for the mediocre play, but wins are what the team gets, not just the QB. Did Bortles play poorly because he lost a game against the titans that he led the offense to six touchdowns in?

The colts haven't been super at every position from 2012 to 2014, but they were MUCH better than the Jaguars of 2014 overall, and significantly better on defense through that stretch than the Jaguars in 2015.

The Jags defense in 2015 allowed 448 points.

In 2014 the colts allowed 369.

How many more games does Bortles "win" if the Jaguars defense was average, like the colts defense has been? How does that change the perception of a guy in his second season?
I dissagree that passing yards isn't a significant stat. If you look at the top passers for the past 5 seasons you will notice that QBs like Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Peyton manning, Aaron Rodgers, Carson Palmer, Ben Roethlisberger, and Andrew Luck are consistently among the leaders. If you argue that passing yards isn't a significant stat, then you would have to expand on that argument as it turns out that all of the usual suspects (QBs thought to be among the best in the league) rank among the top in passing yards. Also, let's not forget that Luck ranked among the top TD passers within a player's first 3 years, and among the top winning QBs within a players first three years. By many accounts, Luck's first 3 years have been stellar. His fourth, not so much...

I didn't say that Luck's wins make up for mediocre play. I don't think Luck is mediocre. I think Luck is an exceptional player that is asked to carry the team -- a team with a poor O-line, poor run game, and an average to below average defense. Having to do too much leads to mistakes, such as INTs, which he makes up for in wins. Similarly, I think Bortles is asked to do too much behind a poor O-line, and unlike Luck, his defense doesn't help as often. The concept of having to be a gunslinger to win games shouldn't be a foreign one to Jags fans. We are in the same boat in this regard. Both teams rely on their franchise QB to lead the way and haven't done a good job to protect their best player. This inevitably leads to turnovers by the QB, but somehow it's okay if Bortles does it but unforgivable for Luck.

For a team comparison, please refer to the above post. I appreciate the discussion. Thankfully, it hasn't turned into a silly argumentative back-and-forth which happens all too often on these forums.

(This post was last modified: 06-19-2016, 02:29 PM by SeldomRite.)

Quote:This inevitably leads to turnovers by the QB, but somehow it's okay if Bortles does it but unforgivable for Luck.

You've got that backward. No QB in the NFL has gotten more hammered about turnovers than Bortles, and no QB has been forgiven for committing 24 turnovers in a season quite like Luck for his 2014 effort.

You might think that there's some unfair hammering going on here, but I assure you I only bring up Luck's turnovers to allow for the comparison of how he's perceived for putting up similar efforts to Bortles.

Quote:Just want to be clear, are saying that Luck in 2013 with 23 TDs was the better QB than Bortles in 2015 with 35 TDs, or are you just saying how you feel about them in the general sense regardless of the year you're picking out?

Like I said, if the Jaguars defense holds teams to 336 points in 2015 instead of 448 how many more wins do you figure Bortles gets? How does that affect the perception of him? Second in the NFL in TD passes in his second year and easily winning the AFCS if the defense allows 112 less points.
Of the two players in question, we have more data on Luck because he has played longer in the NFL. The data provided by Luck would lead you to believe that he is a good player. Similarly, the data provided by Bortles' first two years would lead you to think that he is also a good player. I picked both players' second seasons for consistency and fairness in a team-by-team comparison. Bortles clearly had the better second season.

With the exception of lucks 4th season, (injury plagued season) he has improved each year, as has Bortles in consecutive years. Unlike Bortles, we have had a chance to see luck in his 3rd season, which resulted in a league leading 40 TDs and 4,761 passing yards (3rd in NFL), an 11 win season, and the Colts reaching the AFC Conference Championship.

With the data at hand, I give the edge to Luck who has reached greater heights. If Bortles continues to ascend, we can reconvene and discuss further, however, the thread is which QB belongs on the All AFC South team, and I would argue Luck at QB.

(This post was last modified: 06-19-2016, 02:46 PM by Flash7.)

Quote:You've got that backward. No QB in the NFL has gotten more hammered about turnovers than Bortles, and no QB has been forgiven for committing 24 turnovers in a season quite like Luck for his 2014 effort.

You might think that there's some unfair hammering going on here, but I assure you I only bring up Luck's turnovers to allow for the comparison of how he's perceived for putting up similar efforts to Bortles.
This is the perception on both sides I guess. On the Colts forums and Colts related news, Luck is blasted for turnovers. I'm sure it's the same for Jaguars fans. all perception and what we are exposed to.

Quote:This is the perception on both sides I guess. On the Colts forums and Colts related news, Luck is blasted for turnovers. I'm sure it's the same for Jaguars fans. all perception and what we are exposed to.

The perception of colts fans are way out of line with reality if they think Luck gets anything but the greatest amount of respect someone that has never won a Superbowl can get.

This article just touches on it, you may have even seen it already: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ndrew-luck

To sum it up, Luck is the best young QB in the league that is making the colts great and Bortles blew the Jaguars' great opportunities. You'll find the same sentiment pretty much anywhere you look.

As a fan of neither team, as of right now, I go with Luck and that isn't to take anything away from Bortles. Bortles had good stats this past season but Luck has a history of rising up and taking games over when it mattered the most despite his ugly stat line. He's clutch.

Quote:As a fan of neither team, as of right now, I go with Luck and that isn't to take anything away from Bortles. Bortles had good stats this past season but Luck has a history of rising up and taking games over when it mattered the most despite his ugly stat line. He's clutch.

It's a commonly held position. Essentially because the colts have been good enough to make Luck's efforts possible he is recognized for it, while Bortles has mostly labored for a team that hasn't managed to hold opponents to less than 412 points on a season since 2011.

We'll see if Gus can manage to show himself worthy of the roster in 2016. I have my doubts, but the talent is there, the defense should be significantly better than it was in 2015, and if it's not 100+ points better then Gus needs to be shown the door before any more years of Bortles time in the league are wasted.