Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Post Free Agency Mock Draft - First Run

(03-21-2022, 08:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-21-2022, 08:06 PM)Bullseye Wrote: It wouldn't necessarily be at 33.

They could trade back from 33, or up from the 3rd round into the bottom half of the 2nd round.

Considering the needs of the offense, as well as the need to give TL weapons, it may well be a priority/premium position for Pederson.

Agree 100%. Personally, I believe we use one of our 3rd round picks on a TE.

Having Likely or McBride drop to the 3rd round would be ideal.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2022, 09:58 PM by Upper. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-21-2022, 09:33 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-21-2022, 08:58 PM)Upper Wrote: 65 or 70 is fine. 33 is not.

Question:  If I recall correctly (and please correct me if I don't) you were strongly against Friermuth at the bottom of the first and in the 2nd last year.

Do you just not like TEs taken higher than the 3rd?

In very rare instances like Pitts perhaps, but in general no. TE development curves are very slow. They very frequently don't contribute anything significant until their second contract, often for another team. Even the elite ones that were drafted in the first round rarely hit.

Here are the last dozen 1st round TE: Pitts, Fant, Hurst, Njoku, Engram, Howard, Ebron, Eifert, Gresham, Pettigrew, Keller. Not exactly murderers row.

Freiermuth does appear to be on a trajectory to be an outlier, but I very much don't like gambling on outliers. I am team draft freak athlete TE on day 3 (pray Jelani drops but more likely Bellinger) and sign FA TE. I wanted badly to sign one of Henry or Jonnu last year and I think Engram was by far our best FA value, even if I have serious concerns about how to fit him on the field with Kirk.

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2022, 09:52 PM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-21-2022, 09:54 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-21-2022, 09:33 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Question:  If I recall correctly (and please correct me if I don't) you were strongly against Friermuth at the bottom of the first and in the 2nd last year.

Do you just not like TEs taken higher than the 3rd?

In very rare instances like Pitts perhaps, but in general no. TE development curves are very slow. They very frequently don't contribute anything significant until their second contract, often for another team. Even the elite ones that were drafted in the first round rarely hit.

Here are the last dozen 1st round TE: Pitts, Fant, Hurst, Njoku, Engram, Howard, Ebron, Eifert, Gresham, Pettigrew, Keller. Not exactly murderers row.

Freiermuth does appear to be on a trajectory to be an outlier, but I very much don't like gambling on outliers. I am team draft freak athlete TE on day 3 (pray Jelani drops but more likely Bellinger) and sign FA TE. I wanted badly to sign one of Henry or Jonnu last year and I think Engram was by far our best FA value, even if I have serious concerns about how to fit him on the field with Kirk.

I can understand that.

The 3rd round seems to be the sweet spot to find good TEs.  However, given our circumstances, I am not averse to taking a TE earlier.

A couple of observations on Engram:

1.  No he has not had a stellar career thus far, but to my surprise, he actually made a Pro Bowl (for whatever that is worth these days.  Though he is far from perfect, I am inclined to believe he suffered some from poor QB play and possibly poor scheme.  I think assuming good health, you will see a better Engram this year than we've have seen in the first part of his career.

2.  I envision Engram to not be a traditional Y, but more of a move TE to be used similarly to Mike Gesicki-often split out wide or otherwise off the LOS.  Accordingly, I think if the team drafts a TE this year, they'll be more likely to draft either Tre McBride or Jelani Woods than a move TE like Isaiah Likely or or Dulcich to help facilitate that.  Manhertz offers nothing in the passing game, and I don't think Arnold is a true Y.

(03-21-2022, 09:43 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-21-2022, 08:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Agree 100%. Personally, I believe we use one of our 3rd round picks on a TE.

Having Likely or McBride drop to the 3rd round would be ideal.

I'd take either of them or Jelani Woods.

Hypothetical:

You can trade the #1 pick this year for any player in last years draft. Would you do it and if so, who are you trading #1 for?

I'm trading #1 for Sewell or Chase.

(03-22-2022, 08:59 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Hypothetical:

You can trade the #1 pick this year for any player in last years draft. Would you do it and if so, who are you trading #1 for?

I trade the #1 pick for Sewell in a heartbeat. I don't trade for Chase simply because the chemistry between Burrow and Chase may not be able to be duplicated by any other QB. They developed that chemistry in college and have been very close friends over the years. Sewell could be our starting OT for the next 10 years.

(03-22-2022, 08:59 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Hypothetical:

Yes, for any of Sewell, Chase, or Pitts.

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2022, 05:29 PM by Upper. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-21-2022, 10:12 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I am team draft freak athlete TE on day 3 (pray Jelani drops but more likely Bellinger)

I can understand that.

The 3rd round seems to be the sweet spot to fins good TEs.

Ok, I will amend draft freak athlete TE on day 3 to round 3 for this draft. Jelani at 65 or 70 seems awfully ideal.

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1506739587439333377

I'd be good with Woods if we don't get McBride

(03-23-2022, 05:28 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-21-2022, 10:12 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I am team draft freak athlete TE on day 3 (pray Jelani drops but more likely Bellinger)

I can understand that.

The 3rd round seems to be the sweet spot to fins good TEs.

Ok, I will amend draft freak athlete TE on day 3 to round 3 for this draft. Jelani at 65 or 70 seems awfully ideal.

I told you this guy was good. He may not be a big play TE like McBride, but he is a consistent chain mover and is one of the best blocking TE's in the draft. He's the whole package.

(03-23-2022, 05:28 PM)Upper Wrote:

I can understand that.

The 3rd round seems to be the sweet spot to find good TEs.

The way the Jaguars luck has gone in the past, I would be reluctant to wait that long though.  I remember a few years back, waiting until the 3rd round netted us Josh Oliver.

I get a little frustrated doing these mock drafts. The players they have falling to the second and third rounds are unrealistic. I suppose I could go through and do the picks for EVERY team rather than just the Jags....
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

Is it just me or do the value picks seem to be suited for the middle third of each round?
Fix the O-Line!

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2022, 06:46 AM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-24-2022, 06:38 AM)I am Yoda Wrote: Is it just me or do the value picks seem to be suited for the middle third of each round?

Are you talking about this draft in particular or drafts generally?

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2-rou...ngs-march/

New PFN mock has the jags going Hutch - Linderbaum. I would be delighted, especially because David Bell would be there to take in the 3rd. Feel like Bell is gonna be one of those players who make athletic testing look foolish.

(03-24-2022, 09:16 AM)JagJohn Wrote: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2-rou...ngs-march/

New PFN mock has the jags going Hutch - Linderbaum. I would be delighted, especially because David Bell would be there to take in the 3rd. Feel like Bell is gonna be one of those players who make athletic testing look foolish.

Linderbaum falling to #33? As much as I would absolutely love that, I see no way that it happens. I'd be shocked if he got passed Baltimore. He's the best O-Lineman in the draft. 

I agree about Bell. If all that testing showed he was such a bad athlete, how was he able to get open so much? He was phenomenal in college and he's one of the best route runners in the draft with excellent hands. I would love to have him as well. He's a Cooper Kupp type of receiver. Maybe not quite on that level, but not every successful NFL WR relies on speed and athleticism.

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2022, 09:51 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

Would love Linderbaum at 33. He could be for Trev like Jeff Saturday was for Peyton..

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2022, 01:26 PM by Upper. Edited 1 time in total.)

I can't remember the last time I saw Linderbaum go in a mock before 20. Usually it is late 20s to a team like the Bills or Dolphins before they made the Tyreek trade. 33 wouldn't shock me too much.

Bell at 65 or 70 would be a fireable offense.

(03-24-2022, 01:26 PM)Upper Wrote: I can't remember the last time I saw Linderbaum go in a mock before 20. Usually it is late 20s to a team like the Bills or Dolphins before they made the Tyreek trade. 33 wouldn't shock me too much.

Bell at 65 or 70 would be a fireable offense.

A lot of us would love it.

(03-24-2022, 06:44 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-24-2022, 06:38 AM)I am Yoda Wrote: Is it just me or do the value picks seem to be suited for the middle third of each round?

Are you talking about this draft in particular or drafts generally?

It seems to be true this draft.  But it seems to me you have the best opportunity to get good value there generally.  

We need to fix this offense during the draft as much as possible.  We've had putrid offenses since the end of the Brunell/Jimmy era.  We need as many lineman and pass catchers as we can get.  I don't think we can get either at 33 without reaching for someone who should go about 10 spots later.  While you can't say no to a superior defensive player, it doesn't meet our most urgent needs.
Fix the O-Line!