Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What are you reading?

(06-15-2017, 03:28 PM)Vicbow Rules Wrote:
(06-14-2017, 02:31 PM)rollerjag Wrote: I recently started the only Cormac McCarthy novel I've yet to read, Suttree. Like most, if not all, of McCarthy's work, it has unforgettable characters and a perfect command of the vernacular peculiar to the local setting of his stories. About 20% into the novel and I can tell it's going to evolve into something delightfully creepy.

I have a read a few by him.  I find that his novels grow on me (haunt me?) as the months pass.

Oh yeah, I know exactly what you mean. His writing style can be so abstract, I get a page or two into a particular chapter and suddenly understand he's describing something horrible.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Currently bouncing between A Clash of Kings and H.P. Lovecraft's The Complete Fiction. People sometimes wonder how I can read 2 books at the same time, but I've been doing it my whole life. Probably going to tackle the Johannes Cabal books and Neil Gaiman's stuff when I finish F&I and Lovecraft.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

This has been buried awhile so I thought I would resurrect it in hopes of finding something new to read. Currently waiting for Brandon Sanderson’s next book to come out. The man writes 5 novels at a time. I don’t know he can keep all of the plot lines straight.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Owning Your Own Shadow by Robert A. Johnson. Delves into the Jungian theory regarding our shadow we all carry.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024, 05:42 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

"Meade at Gettysburg: A Study in Command"
by Kent Masterson Brown

Meade was the Union General who won the Battle of Gettysburg, but he was heavily criticized for not being more aggressive after the battle.  Lincoln thought Meade had missed an opportunity to win the war by finishing off Lee's Army of Northern Virginia before it could escape back into Virginia.  This book looks at the actions of Meade from the time he took command of the Army of the Potomac just 3 days before the Battle of Gettysburg, on through the time when Lee finally got across the Potomac River to home territory.  It's a very interesting book.  Even though Meade won the battle, the Union army was about as crippled as the Confederates were.  Thousands and thousands of killed and wounded, lack of food, lack of ammunition, horses that hadn't been fed for a week and were worn out.  Dozens of high-ranking officers killed.  Men marching without shoes.  It was a mess.  Yet there was Lee, trapped against the Potomac River, which had flooded, his pontoon bridge gone.

Everyone likes to study battles, but it's what happens between the battles that is almost as important.  Someone once said, "Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics."

I’m waiting on a copy of Descent into darkness : Pearl Harbor, 1941 : a Navy diver's memoir. 

Written by a Navy diver who was involved in the salvage of sunken ships after Pearl Harbor. The water inside the ships was so murky with filth that lights could not be used because it only reflected it back into the diver’s eyes. They had to memorize the blueprints of the ship and then navigate it in complete darkness while bodies nudged them.

All ya'lls bull [BLEEP]..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare by Damien Lewis.

The story of the first known secret squirrel military spec ops unit courtesy of Winston Churchill. They performed a bunch of missions during WW2. 

A movie based on their first operation comes to theaters 19 April starring Henry Cavill, Alan Rictson (Prime's Jack Reacher), Cary Elwes, Alex Pettyfer, etc., and directed by Guy Ritchie. That means it will be over the top, of course.

(03-18-2024, 07:45 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare by Damien Lewis.

The story of the first known secret squirrel military spec ops unit courtesy of Winston Churchill. They performed a bunch of missions during WW2. 

A movie based on their first operation comes to theaters 19 April starring Henry Cavill, Alan Rictson (Prime's Jack Reacher), Cary Elwes, Alex Pettyfer, etc., and directed by Guy Ritchie. That means it will be over the top, of course.

That sounds interesting.  I might try that one.

(03-19-2024, 06:45 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-18-2024, 07:45 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare by Damien Lewis.

Ditto.  Thanks Americus!

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(03-19-2024, 09:44 AM)copycat Wrote:
(03-19-2024, 06:45 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: That sounds interesting.  I might try that one.

Ditto.  Thanks Americus!

You're welcome!

The Mountain in the Sea.

Kinda nerdy but revolves around Octopuses. They are extremely intelligent but they are also very odd. They have a short life span (3-5 years), they don't teach their young which means they have to learn on the fly and they are very good at adapting. This book talks about a situation where Octopus start to form a language and become way more aware of what humans are doing around them.

(03-19-2024, 06:45 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

It's pretty interesting. Churchill knew things needed to be done that could never be "official" so the SOE, or the Special Operations Executive was formed to perform clandestine missions where, if caught, they would be disavowed. 

A fun fact is Ian Fleming, the author of all the James Bond novels was part of it all but not as an operator. I can't remember his job title just now but he worked with Brigadier Colin Gubbins whose code name was "M". Evidently much of what the SOE was about was inspiration for Fleming's books. 

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2024, 06:31 AM by copycat.)

(03-19-2024, 10:56 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(03-19-2024, 09:44 AM)copycat Wrote: Ditto.  Thanks Americus!

You're welcome!

It is not available in either Kindle or B&N.  I think that is a first for me.

I do a lot of audiobooks. I have some recommendations:
Self-help: the 7 habits of highly effective people
Sci Fi: Rite of Passage by Alexei Panshin
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-21-2024, 06:31 AM)copycat Wrote:
(03-19-2024, 10:56 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: You're welcome!

It is not available in either Kindle or B&N.  I think that is a first for me.

Amazon.com: The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare: Now a major Guy Ritchie film: THE MINISTRY OF UNGENTLEMANLY WARFARE eBook : Lewis, Damien: Kindle Store

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2024, 12:14 PM by copycat.)

(03-21-2024, 07:24 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-21-2024, 06:31 AM)copycat Wrote: It is not available in either Kindle or B&N.  I think that is a first for me.

Amazon.com: The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare: Now a major Guy Ritchie film: THE MINISTRY OF UNGENTLEMANLY WARFARE eBook : Lewis, Damien: Kindle Store

That is weird.  All I got was a sample when I looked but I was looking directly in the kindle app.

Thanks

(03-21-2024, 12:13 PM)copycat Wrote:
(03-21-2024, 07:24 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Amazon.com: The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare: Now a major Guy Ritchie film: THE MINISTRY OF UNGENTLEMANLY WARFARE eBook : Lewis, Damien: Kindle Store

That is weird.  All I got was a sample when I looked but I was looking directly in the kindle app.

Thanks

Books can’t be purchased in the Kindle app, only through Amazon.

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM by copycat.)

(03-21-2024, 03:53 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-21-2024, 12:13 PM)copycat Wrote: That is weird.  All I got was a sample when I looked but I was looking directly in the kindle app.

Thanks

Books can’t be purchased in the Kindle app, only through Amazon.

That makes sense.  I have Kindle Unlimited and have never tried to purchase a book.

Thanks

I'm currently devouring a book about the Lewis and Clark expedition titled Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose. It's a detailed biography of not only the expedition, but an in-depth view of Merriwether Lewis from childhood. It also details the extensive materiel preparations he directed along with the relatively brief but extensive scientific and medical training he underwent to lead the expedition and glean as much knowledge as possible about the flora, fauna, landscape and minerals encountered. 

Lewis was quite the leader and explorer who was complimented by Clark. The Corps of Discovery were a bunch of tough dudes and a tough squaw in Sacagawea, who was caring for her child which was only a few months old when she joined the expedition and only 15-years-old herself. It's an absolutely amazing story.