Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What are you reading?

(04-09-2024, 11:06 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I'm currently devouring a book about the Lewis and Clark expedition titled Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose. It's a detailed biography of not only the expedition, but an in-depth view of Merriwether Lewis from childhood. It also details the extensive materiel preparations he directed along with the relatively brief but extensive scientific and medical training he underwent to lead the expedition and glean as much knowledge as possible about the flora, fauna, landscape and minerals encountered. 

Lewis was quite the leader and explorer who was complimented by Clark. The Corps of Discovery were a bunch of tough dudes and a tough squaw in Sacagawea, who was caring for her child which was only a few months old when she joined the expedition and only 15-years-old herself. It's an absolutely amazing story.

I am a descendant of his or so I am told.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2024, 01:06 PM by The Real Marty.)

I've launched into the 3-volume "The Civil War: A Narrative" by Shelby Foote.

I just finished The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare. Those men were ahead of their time.

I'm reading Persepolis Rising right now which is book 7 in The Expanse series. I recently finished "Co. Aytch" by Samuel Watkins, a civil war soldier. It was equal parts memoire/diary. Very worthwhile read. Although he wasn't really a professional writer, he gives a great historical perspective of a 19th century foot soldier.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

May not be the place for this, but I've always thought that I had/have a learning disability.  I really have trouble reading books.  I lose focus and end up re-reading sentences and paragraphs.  To this day I don't believe that I've read an entire book.  I'm amazed that I was as successful in business..and the business that I was in (IT and consulting)...with this issue.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-14-2024, 07:42 PM)RicoTx Wrote: May not be the place for this, but I've always thought that I had/have a learning disability.  I really have trouble reading books.  I lose focus and end up re-reading sentences and paragraphs.  To this day I don't believe that I've read an entire book.  I'm amazed that I was as successful in business..and the business that I was in (IT and consulting)...with this issue.

But you don't exchange letters? Dyslexia ain't the cause then 

Could just be an attention deficit. Adderall is amazing

(04-14-2024, 08:29 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(04-14-2024, 07:42 PM)RicoTx Wrote: May not be the place for this, but I've always thought that I had/have a learning disability.  I really have trouble reading books.  I lose focus and end up re-reading sentences and paragraphs.  To this day I don't believe that I've read an entire book.  I'm amazed that I was as successful in business..and the business that I was in (IT and consulting)...with this issue.

But you don't exchange letters? Dyslexia ain't the cause then 

Who said anything about dyslexia?  And I’m not taking another drug at my age and retired.  There would be no purpose.

(04-14-2024, 08:44 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(04-14-2024, 08:29 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: But you don't exchange letters? Dyslexia ain't the cause then 

Who said anything about dyslexia?  And I’m not taking another drug at my age and retired.  There would be no purpose.

There are pretty much only two causes for not being able to read a book.

Dyslexia or attention deficit syndrome.

(04-14-2024, 08:46 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(04-14-2024, 08:44 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Who said anything about dyslexia?  And I’m not taking another drug at my age and retired.  There would be no purpose.

There are pretty much only two causes for not being able to read a book.

And where did you get your medical degree?

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2024, 09:39 PM by americus 2.0.)

Started on Lioness: Golda Meir and the Nation Of Israel. She is Israel's first Prime Minister. So far it's about her years leading up to becoming PM. 

What's been fascinating is learning how different the German and other European Jews were from the Russian Jews in that day. The German Jewish immigrants in America thought the Russian Jews who came here were most definitely less than. There has always been a spotlight on German Jews in WW2 and less so on the Polish. Rarely heard about Russian Jews so it never occurred to me how different they were and how differently they were treated when coming here. 

Meir and her family were Russian Jews who immigrated to the US when she was a kid and moved to Palestine in her 20s with her husband and their two children. Evidently she was a Zionist and was very interested in Israel being established as a country. 

Another thing that was interesting is how immigrants were.....distributed to other parts of the country with NYC and the East Coast becoming crowded. So what's happening now with immigrants being bussed to other states is nothing new but 2024 is very different than the 1940s.

(04-14-2024, 09:17 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(04-14-2024, 08:46 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: There are pretty much only two causes for not being able to read a book.

I have ADD and Adderall is the only reason I can concentrate on reading anything. Or concentrate on anything, period.

(04-14-2024, 09:36 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Started on Lioness: Golda Meir and the Nation Of Israel. She is Israel's first Prime Minister. So far it's about her years leading up to becoming PM. 

What's been fascinating is learning how different the German and other European Jews were from the Russian Jews in that day. The German Jewish immigrants in America thought the Russian Jews who came here were most definitely less than. There has always been a spotlight on German Jews in WW2 and less so on the Polish. Rarely heard about Russian Jews so it never occurred to me how different they were and how differently they were treated when coming here. 

Meir and her family were Russian Jews who immigrated to the US when she was a kid and moved to Palestine in her 20s with her husband and their two children. Evidently she was a Zionist and was very interested in Israel being established as a country. 

Another thing that was interesting is how immigrants were.....distributed to other parts of the country with NYC and the East Coast becoming crowded. So what's happening now with immigrants being bussed to other states is nothing new but 2024 is very different than the 1940s.

(04-14-2024, 09:17 PM)RicoTx Wrote: And where did you get your medical degree?

I have ADD and Adderall is the only reason I can concentrate on reading anything. Or concentrate on anything, period.

My dad's family were/are Russian Jews.  None of the ones who are alive today have any stories of German Jews discriminating against them.  They all spoke Yiddish whether they came from areas controlled by Russia or by Germany.  The Russian Jews got to the US later, and had spent generations living in all-Jewish villages.  The German Jews came to the US earlier, and usually had lived in larger cities frequently mixing with other groups, so coming to NYC was more of a culture shock for the Russian ones and less so for the German ones.  But there wasn't hostility between the two groups, at least not the way my family tells it.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(04-14-2024, 09:17 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(04-14-2024, 08:46 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: There are pretty much only two causes for not being able to read a book.

University of Google.   (a.k.a. UGO, The Fighting Search Tools)

(04-13-2024, 01:06 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I've launched into the 3-volume "The Civil War: A Narrative" by Shelby Foote.

Shelby Foote’s work would have languished in obscurity if it weren’t for Ken Burns and his Civil War documentary. He claimed Burns made him a millionaire.

Foote was an interesting guy to listen to. I haven’t read any of his books but gathering from his appearances in the documentary, I’m sure they’re very good reads. 

I’ve started reading American Prometheus. It’s very well written.

Reading a little bit of these three at the moment during my lunch breaks:

The 48 Laws Of Power by Robert Greene.
Owning Your Own Shadow: Understanding The Dark Side of the Psyche by Robert A. Johnson.
The Complete Books Of Enoch (Annotated): Large Print Collector's Edition by Dr. Nathaniel Avery.

I enjoy these reads so far. They're practical, they offer insight into psychology and how we all interact with one another. There's tons of historical references in the 48 Laws of Power and neat little notations and quotes on the sides of each page in red to give it a little more examples of the Law that you're reading on.

Owning your own Shadow is also intriguing. It touches on Carl Jung's theories and it essentially explains that, at some point, you're racking up shadow points, whether you feel it or not, want to acknowledge it or not, it's human nature, and, if done correctly, you can turn that part of your psyche into Gold.

Instead of snapping at an innocent cashier or [BLEEP] that cut you off in traffic, you can turn that part of your psyche into something worthwhile and learn from it. The intent is to get you on a path that allows you to freely let these transgressions out of your life more quickly and constructively instead of banking them and going on a tirade.

The Book of Enoch is mostly for fun. It's a bit of a Prophetic book with Pre-Flood biblical figures. Some people in the religious world consider it non-canon. Some others consider it canon. I consider it very interesting and worth reading where you can come up with your own conclusions. Enoch is the great grandfather of Noah.

It describes the names of the tribes and some of the 200 angels that descended upon the Earth and began teaching humanity some of the good, the bad and the ugly things we still use upon each other now in modern times. Weapon making, poison, fire, make-up, etc.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-18-2024, 04:34 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Reading a little bit of these three at the moment during my lunch breaks:

The 48 Laws Of Power by Robert Greene.
Owning Your Own Shadow: Understanding The Dark Side of the Psyche by Robert A. Johnson.
The Complete Books Of Enoch (Annotated): Large Print Collector's Edition by Dr. Nathaniel Avery.

I enjoy these reads so far. They're practical, they offer insight into psychology and how we all interact with one another. There's tons of historical references in the 48 Laws of Power and neat little notations and quotes on the sides of each page in red to give it a little more examples of the Law that you're reading on.

Owning your own Shadow is also intriguing. It touches on Carl Jung's theories and it essentially explains that, at some point, you're racking up shadow points, whether you feel it or not, want to acknowledge it or not, it's human nature, and, if done correctly, you can turn that part of your psyche into Gold.

Instead of snapping at an innocent cashier or [BLEEP] that cut you off in traffic, you can turn that part of your psyche into something worthwhile and learn from it. The intent is to get you on a path that allows you to freely let these transgressions out of your life more quickly and constructively instead of banking them and going on a tirade.

The Book of Enoch is mostly for fun. It's a bit of a Prophetic book with Pre-Flood biblical figures. Some people in the religious world consider it non-canon. Some others consider it canon. I consider it very interesting and worth reading where you can come up with your own conclusions. Enoch is the great grandfather of Noah.

It describes the names of the tribes and some of the 200 angels that descended upon the Earth and began teaching humanity some of the good, the bad and the ugly things we still use upon each other now in modern times. Weapon making, poison, fire, make-up, etc.

Man I do pretty well in this department until I get on my bike. I have ZERO self-control when it comes to dealing with dumbbells in their cars. Probably comes with the anxiety of "is this guy gonna stop, or am I bout to leave a few layers of skin on the road?" or "this is a no turn on red intersection, why is this buttmunch parked in the crosswalk?"

If I ever got lasers in my eyes, there would be a lot of random flat tires in TLH, I tellerwut.