Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
DL + OLB - 2024 Edition

The new staff needs to be taking a good look at RRH and Muma/Miller. If they like what they see, the front seven could be set. If they don't, they need to address it early in the draft.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-31-2024, 01:28 PM)mikesez Wrote: The new staff needs to be taking a good look at RRH and Muma/Miller.  If they like what they see, the front seven could be set.  If they don't, they need to address it early in the draft.

What do Muma and Miller have to do with DL+OLB? 

They are backup ILBs.

Jags are going to be in 4-2-5 nickel most of the time. 
Lloyd and Oluokun are still your ILBs. 
I see many fans trying to figure out the Will and Sam positions because Pederson mentioned a 4-3 front, but they will run that so infrequently - it won't really matter. 

The real question for me is whether or not they trust Hamilton to be effective in 2024 and if they are planning to add a NT type to rotate with him. 

I think they like what they have at DE/OLB and I'm not sure we see any big additions there, but more pass rushers is never a bad thing.

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2024, 01:53 PM by Jag149.)

(03-31-2024, 01:28 PM)mikesez Wrote: The new staff needs to be taking a good look at RRH and Muma/Miller.  If they like what they see, the front seven could be set.  If they don't, they need to address it early in the draft.

Here are the guys we have for up front.  We seem to be awash with guys 299 to 285.  Nothing wrong with these guys, but they are going up against 300lb to 320lb plus offensive linemen don't be surprised if they can get pushed around sometimes. We need another 320ish NT guy to pair with Hamilton.

DaVon Hamilton 335lbs, Jerimiah Ledbetter 299lbs, Arik Armstead 290lbs, Roy Robertson-Harris 290lbs, Adam Gotsis 290lbs, Esezi Otomewo 282lbs, Tyler Lacy 285lbs.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(03-31-2024, 10:51 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I read an article by a 49ers writer who called Armstead "damaged goods" and said he has plantar fasciitis which will not be fixed or go away, and that will cause him to miss a lot of games in the future.  So I hope the Jags do more on the defensive line than just Armstead.

I seriously doubt they'd sign somebody without a physical.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-31-2024, 01:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

What do Muma and Miller have to do with DL+OLB? 

They are backup ILBs.

Jags are going to be in 4-2-5 nickel most of the time. 
Lloyd and Oluokun are still your ILBs. 
I see many fans trying to figure out the Will and Sam positions because Pederson mentioned a 4-3 front, but they will run that so infrequently - it won't really matter. 

The real question for me is whether or not they trust Hamilton to be effective in 2024 and if they are planning to add a NT type to rotate with him. 

I think they like what they have at DE/OLB and I'm not sure we see any big additions there, but more pass rushers is never a bad thing.

You still need 7 starter quality players even if they're usually not all on the field at the same time.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-31-2024, 01:53 PM)Jag149 Wrote:

Here are the guys we have for up front.  We seem to be awash with guys 299 to 285.  Nothing wrong with these guys, but they are going up against 300lb to 320lb plus offensive linemen don't be surprised if they can get pushed around sometimes. We need another 320ish NT guy to pair with Hamilton.

DaVon Hamilton 335lbs, Jerimiah Ledbetter 299lbs, Arik Armstead 290lbs, Roy Robertson-Harris 290lbs, Adam Gotsis 290lbs, Esezi Otomewo 282lbs, Tyler Lacy 285lbs.

Thank you

(03-31-2024, 02:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-31-2024, 01:53 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Here are the guys we have for up front.  We seem to be awash with guys 299 to 285.  Nothing wrong with these guys, but they are going up against 300lb to 320lb plus offensive linemen don't be surprised if they can get pushed around sometimes. We need another 320ish NT guy to pair with Hamilton.

Thank you

Sweat would be such a good pairing
Weighs in at 366 I believe

(03-31-2024, 01:53 PM)Jag149 Wrote:

When did they sign Otomewo? Is he camp fodder or an ascending talent?
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(03-31-2024, 06:47 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(03-31-2024, 01:53 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Here are the guys we have for up front.  We seem to be awash with guys 299 to 285.  Nothing wrong with these guys, but they are going up against 300lb to 320lb plus offensive linemen don't be surprised if they can get pushed around sometimes. We need another 320ish NT guy to pair with Hamilton.

When did they sign Otomewo? Is he camp fodder or an ascending talent?

He was on the practice squad last year. He was signed in January.

(03-31-2024, 05:18 PM)StrayaJag Wrote:
(03-31-2024, 02:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Thank you

Sweat would be such a good pairing

Here is who I would be looking at for the DL, depending on where they have that slotted in the draft.  Murphy and Logue a little light but you get the idea.  

T'Vondre Sweat - 362lb  Texas               Round 1 will not make it to our #48 pick in the second
McKinnley Jackson 326lb Texas A/M       Round 1 a reach, may possibly make it to our #48 pick in the second (unless there is a run on beef)
Khristian Boyd 317lb   N.Iowa               Round 3 or 4
Myles Murphy 309lb  Clemson                  Round 4
Jordan Jefferson 317lb  LSU                      Round 4 to 5
Justin Rogers 346lb  Auburn                     Round 4 to 6
Zion Logue 314lb   Georgia                       A late round sleeper for multiple teams
Evan Anderson 319lb  FLA-ATL                 A late round sleeper for multiple teams

(03-31-2024, 08:26 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(03-31-2024, 05:18 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: Sweat would be such a good pairing

Here is who I would be looking at for the DL, depending on where they have that slotted in the draft.  Murphy and Logue a little light but you get the idea.  

T'Vondre Sweat - 362lb  Texas               Round 1 will not make it to our #48 pick in the second
McKinnley Jackson 326lb Texas A/M       Round 1 a reach, may possibly make it to our #48 pick in the second (unless there is a run on beef)
Zion Logue 314lb   Georgia                       A late round sleeper for multiple teams
Evan Anderson 319lb  FLA-ATL                 A late round sleeper for multiple teams

Sweat is going to eat himself out of the league. Jackson or two of the others would fortify the interior DL. Baalke probably won't double dip, however, since he wasted a pick on Lacy, who's slowly developing into just a guy.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2024, 11:33 PM by Predator. Edited 1 time in total.)

We definitely need more depth at the interior DL.

The interior could play well early on in the season for the first parts of games but would start to wear out badly if we got behind on time of possession and started to completely wear out early on in games as we got into the later part of the season.

We need at least another quality guy in the middle for us to have a rotation that can hold up.

Arik Armstead was a replacement for a starter we let go and added no depth.

I don't want to be in the situation like last year where we had to overplay our starters because there was a big drop off skill and talent wise with our depth.

Undersized late round draft picks and practice squad players aren't going to cut it. We are just going to get run all over if we don't add a decent big guy to the rotation.

Our biggest Achilles heel in the later part of the season was that we couldn't run the ball and couldn't stop the run.

I think we made some steps to improve the Oline, but the depth on the interior Dline hasn't improved. Right now we are in a situation where we are hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with some young players in order to field a decent Dline with some quality depth.

Draft big boys, and draft them early

(03-31-2024, 09:31 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(03-31-2024, 08:26 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Here is who I would be looking at for the DL, depending on where they have that slotted in the draft.  Murphy and Logue a little light but you get the idea.  

Sweat is going to eat himself out of the league. Jackson or two of the others would fortify the interior DL. Baalke probably won't double dip, however, since he wasted a pick on Lacy, who's slowly developing into just a guy.

Lacy is a big end, we need interior guys. I'm hopeful that we get two of those in the draft.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2024, 08:58 AM by Mikey.)

(03-31-2024, 10:51 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I read an article by a 49ers writer who called Armstead "damaged goods" and said he has plantar fasciitis which will not be fixed or go away, and that will cause him to miss a lot of games in the future.  So I hope the Jags do more on the defensive line than just Armstead.

I smell sour grapes.

(03-31-2024, 01:56 PM)RicoTx Wrote:

I seriously doubt they'd sign somebody without a physical.

mass durr class hurr hurr
Tongue

He's a 30 year old defensive lineman. They're all damaged goods by that point, it's just a matter of what he can and can't overcome to be productive.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

He definitely does that's what I saw too.
No Fun

(04-02-2024, 03:57 PM)nhiverson Wrote:

He definitely does that's what I saw too.

He missed the last 5 games of the season with a torn meniscus in his knee and his plantar fascitis acting up. Came back and played all 3 playoff games.

He said it was his knee and not his foot that was giving him the most trouble, which is contrary to what Shanahan was saying last year, so who knows.

Hopefully the knee surgery goes well and his foot doesn't hold him back. We definitely need to add another DT.

Allen and Walker are DE's now in this scheme, not OLB. Lloyd must have gotten the memo.