Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Welcome Brian Thomas Jr. Jags new star receiver

We should let the guy earn the term "star" before we start calling him that.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-27-2024, 02:27 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: We should let the guy earn the term "star" before we start calling him that.

Agreed.

But he should be given the jersey #11 on day one.   Sorry Mr. Washington.
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2024, 08:09 AM by Mikey.)

(04-26-2024, 01:24 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 12:37 PM)Mikey Wrote: ....then why does it feel like we got next to nothing of value, outside of who we took at 23?

I also think that stat is based on an outdated value chart.

Maybe it feels like no value to you but I happen to find 3 mid round picks very valuable. You're gonna be singing a different tune next year when we have an extra top 70 pick.

Is next year's draft gonna be as IOL heavy as this one was?

Are we gonna sit on our hands again next year?

I think the scoffers were on to something about Baalke. The darft is not his strong suit, that is for certain.

(04-26-2024, 01:31 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 01:01 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Yeah, I like that.

What guys did we have that were from LSU and were meh?

Fournette overall was meh.  DJ Chark was super meh.

k
la
von

how soon we repress

(04-26-2024, 02:27 PM)NoShoes Wrote: Lol some of yall complaining about the trade compensation are ridiculous acting like we moved way down.

An equivalent 2 for 6 spots?  Getting towards the back of 1st?  We’d be screaming if we gave up that.

it's not a 2.

A 2 is almost guaranteed to be a starter. Day 3 guys are your kick coverage team, guys that barely hang on to a roster spot.

We don't need to fill the bottom of the roster. We been doin that for three years already.

Hicken made a fair point this morning on the radio. We'll look back and judge the success of this decision around the following players:

1. Dallas Turner
2. Jared Verse
3. Quinyon Mitchell
4. Amarius Mims
5. Troy Fautanu
6. Chop Robinson

We had needs at EDGE, CB and OL. We ultimately decided to trade back and forego all of these prospects. He echoed the same sentiment a lot of us fear already. The moment something happens to Morse?

It's right back to the basic same five of players we had last year with Fortner back in the line-up. Hard to stretch the field, play the play action game and go over the top when you don't have a line that can buy the QB time there.

It'll be interesting.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-27-2024, 12:01 PM)Jags32250 Wrote:
(04-27-2024, 09:33 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think Thomas Jr will be better than Nabers.  You could argue that Thomas Jr was better than Nabers this past year as well

Good lord

If nothing else, Thomas has the advantage of who is throwing to him this year.

(04-29-2024, 08:19 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Hicken made a fair point this morning on the radio. We'll look back and judge the success of this decision around the following players:

1. Dallas Turner
2. Jared Verse
3. Quinyon Mitchell
4. Amarius Mims
5. Troy Fautanu
6. Chop Robinson

We had needs at EDGE, CB and OL. We ultimately decided to trade back and forego all of these prospects. He echoed the same sentiment a lot of us fear already. The moment something happens to Morse?

It's right back to the basic same five of players we had last year with Fortner back in the line-up. Hard to stretch the field, play the play action game and go over the top when you don't have a line that can buy the QB time there.

It'll be interesting.

See that is my thing. Not only those 6, but all the various guys we sat around and watched go to other teams while we netted the extra capital to make moves and pursue. We didn't get a singular guy to help the inside of the line, unless they are kicking Foster or Little inside.

This was a prime opportunity to do SOMETHING. We did nothing. I think we ALL are going to be particularly attentive to the production that the many IOL prospects who were available in this darft perform, and ultimately that is gonna be what sticks in our craw even more than if say Jared Verse hits 10 sacks a year for the entirety of his rookie deal.

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2024, 08:32 AM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-27-2024, 02:27 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: We should let the guy earn the term "star" before we start calling him that.

Fake till you make it

Jokes aside, I can’t wait to see Lawrence throwing the ball to the rookie. I see where he might be wearing #80, but that could change.

(04-29-2024, 08:28 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-29-2024, 08:19 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Hicken made a fair point this morning on the radio. We'll look back and judge the success of this decision around the following players:

1. Dallas Turner
2. Jared Verse
3. Quinyon Mitchell
4. Amarius Mims
5. Troy Fautanu
6. Chop Robinson

It'll be interesting.

See that is my thing. Not only those 6, but all the various guys we sat around and watched go to other teams while we netted the extra capital to make moves and pursue. We didn't get a singular guy to help the inside of the line, unless they are kicking Foster or Little inside.

This was a prime opportunity to do SOMETHING. We did nothing. I think we ALL are going to be particularly attentive to the production that the many IOL prospects who were available in this darft perform, and ultimately that is gonna be what sticks in our craw even more than if say Jared Verse hits 10 sacks a year for the entirety of his rookie deal.

If Trevor gets his leg broken or ACL, MCL.... Baalke should just be fired immediately

(04-29-2024, 08:08 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 01:31 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Fournette overall was meh.  DJ Chark was super meh.

k
la
von

how soon we repress

We're really testing the theory this year.  If it's all meh in a couple of years, I don't see how we can ever draft from LSU again.

(04-29-2024, 08:33 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(04-29-2024, 08:28 AM)Mikey Wrote: See that is my thing. Not only those 6, but all the various guys we sat around and watched go to other teams while we netted the extra capital to make moves and pursue. We didn't get a singular guy to help the inside of the line, unless they are kicking Foster or Little inside.

If Trevor gets his leg broken or ACL, MCL.... Baalke should just be fired immediately

See I'm devious, I'd put Baalke in at QB before I fire him.

Pff grade for BTJ on deep passes 20+ yards is 99.9 lol. The highest grade ive ever seen on a player. 670 yards and 12 TDs.

(05-06-2024, 06:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Pff grade for BTJ on deep passes 20+ yards is 99.9 lol.  The highest grade ive ever seen on a player.  670 yards and 12 TDs.

This is what has got me excited about the pick. He excels at what Trevor does best.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

1. Dallas Turner
2. Jared Verse
3. Quinyon Mitchell
4. Amarius Mims
5. Troy Fautanu
6. Chop Robinson

It'll be interesting.
I mean i get where you are going however i think you need to pick just one of those players it is only fair.  If any of those guys miss it could have been our pick.  I personally would have liked an interi9r o line for sure.  I am kind of ok the way it laid out.  I would have liked a trade up for jpj on day 2.

Just rewatched some highlights of Odunze, who was my favorite in this draft, and Thomas. I gotta say, Thomas compares well. I didn't see a ton of contested catches because he gets great separation and is a lot of times behind his man and a few steps ahead when the ball gets there. Odunze is similar though appears a bit more physical. I saw two push offs from Odunze on a couple of his touchdown highlights. Good for him for getting away with it, but he also might wind up getting more offensive pass interference calls coming at him if he doesn't disguise them well. Also saw him spin around in the air to catch the ball with his body on a couple of catches where he kinda rag dolled when he hit the ground and his head snapped back and hit the turf. If he doesn't brace for impact better he might wind up a little more susceptible to concussions. At any rate, I still really like both guys but came away feeling even better about Thomas.

I think Thomas is in a better situation than Odunze and Nabers. He's easily in a better situation than Nabers because of QB play, but even if Caleb Williams isn't a bust, he's still a rookie trying to figure things out. And Odunze probably is the bonafide number 3 option there until he figures things out perhaps later in the year or next year. Thomas could be the 1 or 2 here right out of the gate. If Trevor is given a quarter second more on average and Thomas picks things up relatively quickly, Thomas could have some big games this year.

He could of had 25 or 30 TDs if Daniels didnt miss him and underthrow him so much. As crazy as that sounds.

(04-29-2024, 08:15 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 02:27 PM)NoShoes Wrote: Lol some of yall complaining about the trade compensation are ridiculous acting like we moved way down.

An equivalent 2 for 6 spots?  Getting towards the back of 1st?  We’d be screaming if we gave up that.

it's not a 2.

A 2 is almost guaranteed to be a starter. Day 3 guys are your kick coverage team, guys that barely hang on to a roster spot.

We don't need to fill the bottom of the roster. We been doin that for three years already.

A 2nd rounder has a %33 chance of becoming a starter (so it's way less than guaranteed), a 3rd rounder has a %16 chance.  (1st rounder has a %50 chance.)  If you tally a team with their allotted picks (1 pick in each round) they have a %117 of finding a starter throughout the draft, a %58 chance of having 2 starters, etc. These numbers are based off finding a run-of-the-mill starting player.  As expected the numbers change based on your slot in each round, so I would assume these numbers are based on a team in the middle slot (exactly where the Jaguars were.)

My feeling is that the best GMs can increase that number by %10 or so, but I don't have any numbers to back up that opinion.

(05-08-2024, 08:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He could of had 25 or 30 TDs if Daniels didnt miss him and underthrow him so much.  As crazy as that sounds.

So every other team saw that and still let him drop?

Methinks not.

(05-09-2024, 10:54 AM)cland Wrote:
(04-29-2024, 08:15 AM)Mikey Wrote: it's not a 2.

A 2nd rounder has a %33 chance of becoming a starter (so it's way less than guaranteed), a 3rd rounder has a %16 chance.  (1st rounder has a %50 chance.)  If you tally a team with their allotted picks (1 pick in each round) they have a %117 of finding a starter throughout the draft, a %58 chance of having 2 starters, etc. These numbers are based off finding a run-of-the-mill starting player.  As expected the numbers change based on your slot in each round, so I would assume these numbers are based on a team in the middle slot (exactly where the Jaguars were.)

My feeling is that the best GMs can increase that number by %10 or so, but I don't have any numbers to back up that opinion.

source?

I smell some skewed stats. Maybe day one starter percentages above?