Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Questions from a new Jags fan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello all. After 30 years as a diehard Bucs fan, I am switching teams. So, I have a few questions for veteran Jags fans (if you'll indulge me):
What site has the best news, inside info, and active forum - is it this one?
I am going to watch the games from last season before the draft. What are the Jags strengths and weaknesses?
I know Bortles was drafted early in the first last year and had ups and downs this past season. What is the fan base's consensus on him?
Thanks for anything you guys/gals offer!
This is a family-oriented forum with strict rules; if you're looking for something less strict, I would suggest reddit.

The Jags are strong in every category, and display no weaknesses entering 2015. Blake Bortles is a mix between John Elway and Joe Montana, although hes slightly better than both.

Welcome to the dark side.
Why do you hate yourself so much? 

Quote: 

<div>Hello all. After 30 years as a diehard Bucs fan, I am switching teams. So, I have a few questions for veteran Jags fans (if you'll indulge me):
I am going to watch the games from last season before the draft. What are the Jags strengths and weaknesses?
I know Bortles was drafted early in the first last year and had ups and downs this past season. What is the fan base's consensus on him?

</div>

Why, after 30 years of being a diehard Buccaneers fan are you deciding to follow our team in Jacksonville? You had a great year in 2002 with Gruden. Historically you guys have struggled off and on just like we have.

Outside of my question though, to answer yours.

As far as forums are concerned. We're the go to place my friend.

As far as news on the team, 1010XL on the radio here in Jacksonville is our flagship station (92.5 FM).

As far as social media you can find plenty of good sources on Facebook like Jaguars Today and our actual team page.

As far as the team. I think our biggest strength right now is just our overall youth. They'll improve as a team year by year. We're respectable in the pass rushing department. We've got some promising players in the secondary but our glaring need and weakness is the free safety position. We swung and missed for McCourty this off-season when the Patriots were able to retain him there. I think our General Manager will pursue one in RD3.

Offensively as you pointed out, we did draft Bortles. I think the grand majority of the fanbase is on-board for this kid. He passes the eye test. He just needs to cutback on his turnovers and make better decisions. Some of us are on the fence about bringing in Greg Olson to run the offense after firing Jedd Fisch. We'll see how it goes. As far as weaknesses are concerned, it's the runningback position by far. We need a steady workhorse to allow Bortles to potentially work out of the play action game. We've got a good core of receivers though. A trio of rookies from last year in Robinson, Hurns, and Lee all made splashes here and there.
Quote: 

<div>Hello all. After 30 years as a diehard Bucs fan, I am switching teams. So, I have a few questions for veteran Jags fans (if you'll indulge me):

</div>

Not only is this the most active forum, it also features posts from some of the most patient, intelligent, and well-read fans in all of Jaguar Nation, if not the NFL itself.  But seriously, the fan reaction to Bortles has been that he's played like a rookie and has a lot of potential (except for about 5 posters who think he is a total bust and will never amount to anything).
Quote:Hello all. After 30 years as a diehard Bucs fan, I am switching teams. So, I have a few questions for veteran Jags fans (if you'll indulge me):

Do you live in Tampa?
You can't be die hard and then switch who your favorite team is.

Stupid thread.
Quote:You can't be die hard and then switch who your favorite team is.

Stupid thread.

Be nice. One less Bucs fan is always good. Not that i have any bias
Whats the point of leaving the bucs

Bigcatcountry.com is ok for news.

The bucs suck...that being said, why switch to the jags?
Come on guys, this is an obvious troll attempt. He must think they're getting the pick we want or something, which is ridiculous because there is no way the Bucs take Leonard or Fowler. 

Nothing to see here, just move along. 

Quote:Bigcatcountry.com is ok for news.

The grammar is generally bad, and the site is run by the most bitter and gelatinous insurance salesman in the city, but there are some decent writers over there. I like to read the fan posts; fat Alfert generally avoids those.
BCC is too heavy with "opinion" articles. I prefer facts and news from sites not opinions of some fan.

Welcome!

As far as Bortles he looked great in Preseason, but struggled at times mainly due to the weakest pass blocking offensive line in the NFL. 

As far as weakness goes the Jaguars have tons as you would expect from a team that barely won 3 games.  The Oline as I mentioned is the worst, the FS is bad, and the CBs are young & learning.

The strength of the Jaguars is the Defensive Line it was fierce last season.  The team lost Big Red Bryant but talent was replaced with talent with signing of Odrick.

This site is the only one I use.
Quote:Welcome!

As far as Bortles he looked great in Preseason, but struggled at times mainly due to the weakest pass blocking offensive line in the NFL. 

As far as weakness goes the Jaguars have tons as you would expect from a team that barely won 3 games.  The Oline as I mentioned is the worst, the FS is bad, and the CBs are young & learning.

The strength of the Jaguars is the Defensive Line it was fierce last season.  The team lost Big Red Bryant but talent was replaced with talent with signing of Odrick.

This site is the only one I use.
Pretty much what he said. The consensus opinion on Bortles is that he seems to show promise but with such a poor offensive line last season it was hard to tell. We had an excellent defensive line but a poor secondary. We have a new OC this season so everyone here is having to learn a new play book. We haven't had a winning season in a long time; last season we finished 3-13... that should tell you a lot. We have a billionaire owner (a relative new-comer in the NFL) in Shad Khan. He made his money in the automotive after-market industry with his business based out of Indiana, and a lot of interest in London. He has pumped a lot of money into dressing up the local stadium with things like the biggest billboard/scoreboards in the world and expensive 'cabanas' (featuring a swimming pool). We have a relatively inexperienced head coach in Gus Bradley and GM in Dave Caldwell. Bradley was formerly the defensive coordinator for the seahawks. Dave Caldwell was formerly with the falcons and seems to be doing a pretty fair job here so far.

As far as forums, this one is probably the most popular and does indeed have some pretty intelligent posters on it, though it's also an excellent place to get 'flamed'. The theme is generally family oriented so don't use four letter expletives or even abbreviations of one. As another poster already indicated, probably the most popular local 'sports talk' venue is 1010xl radio and a good place to pick up team information. 

I certainly welcome you as a new Jaguars fan but I have to wonder why, after being a buc's fan for thirty years, would you decide to switch to the Jags?
Quote:BCC is too heavy with "opinion" articles. I prefer facts and news from sites not opinions of some fan.

BCC is pretty much a news aggregator now. With a few not open for discussion opinion pieces.
Quote: 

</div>
I gather my Jags news from Jaguars.com  - ESPN's Jaguars blog :   http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jaguars

... and following a few Jags writers on twitter.  https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran   -   https://twitter.com/APMarkLong

The Jags are in the third year of a massive rebuild.  (you can count on one hand the guys that were on this team pre-2012 that still remain) 

Folks are mostly cautiously optimistic that our new GM is acquiring good young talent but we've yet to see it translate to wins. This season seems reasonable for the team to at least come near a .500 W/L record. 

Bortles is the biggest key to that happening, and the O-line play may be a close second. Jury is still out on the QB but he possesses a rare pocket awareness and escapability that could be excellent building blocks if he can solidify his footwork and other fundamentals that were shown to be very raw last year. 
Pages: 1 2 3