Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Luke Joeckel has already added 10-12 Lbs this offseason
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
per rotoworld

"Jaguars LT Luke Joeckel has already added 10-12 pounds since last season.

Joeckel's priority this offseason is to add strength and quality weight after he got down as low as 280 pounds in 2014. He wants to play up at 310-315 pounds, necessary numbers for an NFL left tackle. We're certainly not writing off the talented Joeckel even though he has been a liability rather than an asset through two seasons".
If he and Cyprien have a good bounce back year, that 2013 class will look pretty darn good.
Some discussion in this prior thread of this news: 

http://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/top.../?p=464588

Interesting that his "defenders" for lack of a better term were saying he was robbed an offseason to add strength and weight last year due to injury and it hurt him   ---  and now that's exactly what he and others are proclaiming. 

Anyway...  I hope it shows up on the field.  I'm fairly confident he'll be an above average LT this season if he stays healthy. 

Honestly not worried about Luke at all. He and Linder are the least of the OLine worries.

Can Bowanko step up? Is Parnell the real deal? Will Beadles be the guy we paid for?
I think the upgrade in coaching will help him more than anything.

Quote:I think the upgrade in coaching will help him more than anything.
Yeah because it was clearly a problem for Linder, right?
Quote:Yeah because it was clearly a problem for Linder, right?
Maybe, he might have been twice as good as he was with better coaching. Who knows?
Quote:Yeah because it was clearly a problem for Linder, right?

G v. OT?
Eric Fisher was in the same exact boat, needed to add strength and needed time to adjust to the NFL.

Just saw this, hopefully it can help the guy. This probably happened because of Marrone.

Quote:Just saw this, hopefully it can help the guy. This probably happened because of Marrone.
Why would this have happened because of Marrone..? We all suspected he needed to add weight, strength and size to be successful.
Hopefully he's doing it the Barry Bonds way and has the same masking agents.

Quote:I think the upgrade in coaching will help him more than anything.

Ouch --- dissing Boselli ?
Quote:Honestly not worried about Luke at all. He and Linder are the least of the OLine worries.

Can Bowanko step up? Is Parnell the real deal? Will Beadles be the guy we paid for?

Actually I was thinking the other day if Joekel can be "just above average" I'd almost be happy.  That way, we could also secure him to a long term contract and not break the bank.  Financial balance while we sink our $$ into the skill positions if these new guys turn out to be good.
Quote:Some discussion in this prior thread of this news: 

http://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/top.../?p=464588

Interesting that his "defenders" for lack of a better term were saying he was robbed an offseason to add strength and weight last year due to injury and it hurt him   ---  and now that's exactly what he and others are proclaiming. 

Anyway...  I hope it shows up on the field.  I'm fairly confident he'll be an above average LT this season if he stays healthy. 
I think it's pretty safe to assume that missing conditioning that would have allowed him to get bigger and stronger had to have an impact.  Instead of working on that, and on improving his technique, he was busy rehabilitating an injury that required surgery.  That has to have a negative impact on any player.  

He has the potential to become a rock solid LT with his athletic ability alone if he can just get stronger and work on a few things.  He's got that opportunity this year, so we'll see pretty quickly if it helps or not.
Luke has indeed potential but he was playing catch up all last year.  If he is truly at ~315 that is great news.  Beadles is just a guy that is very overpaid.  I don't see Beadles playing so well to cover up for Luke, but I think Luke could make Beadles look good and even great.  Bowanko and Linder should get better.  If Parnell is the real deal, things look great for Bortles.

Luke can definitely move so the weight shouldn't impact him too much.  Bortles must be VERY happy to have a 10% bigger LT.

I think the unit should definitely be improved this year. Parnell is a major upgrade over anything we had at RT last season. He just has to be average and that will be a major improvement. Joeckel/Beadles/Bowanko/Linder should all benefit from having a year of cohesion working with each other to improve as a collective unit. They should also each individually improve with a year of experience, training, practice and workouts under their belt. They still may not be a great unit this year, but it should be a serious improvement.

Quote:G v. OT?
Different coach for interior OL?

My point was I wouldn't expect a coaching change to make a huge impact.

Make or break year?
Quote:Make or break year?
Unless he regresses even further, no way. IIRC those rookie contracts are basically guaranteed so I would be surprised if he doesn't finish his rookie deal
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6