Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Better Call Saul
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I approached this series hoping it would be at least half as good as Breaking Bad, and it has exceeded those expectations. It has the potential to be even better, something I never thought I'd say, as I consider Breaking Bad to be one of the two best TV series ever, the other being The Sopranos.

Better Call Saul features two of my favorite characters from Breaking Bad, Saul Goodman and Mike Ehrmantraut, and one of my favorite comedic actors, Michael McKean. I especially enjoyed the episodes that revealed Mike's back story.

It has a tone similar to Breaking Bad, but stands on its own quite nicely. The too-short first season raises more questions that it answers, which bodes well for next season.

Love it. My expectations are lower than yours however. I think it'll be a long time before I can say that a show is better than BB but BCS is a great spinoff and prequel.
Love Better Call Saul! Great show!

I've really enjoyed it, I keep forgetting while I watch it that it leads to breaking bad which to me means it really stands on it's own as just great writing, acting and story telling.
Quote:Love it. My expectations are lower than yours however. I think it'll be a long time before I can say that a show is better than BB but BCS is a great spinoff and prequel.

From what I gather, the story line will eventually catch up to the Breaking Bad timeline and possibly beyond.
I still haven't figured out why Breaking Bad was so popular. I have binge watched through the series about 3 times and still don't get it. Good show, but nothing special. I have really liked BCS so far. Not every episode is great, but as a whole, I enjoy it.

Quote:I approached this series hoping it would be at least half as good as Breaking Bad, and it has exceeded those expectations. It has the potential to be even better, something I never thought I'd say, as I consider Breaking Bad to be one of the two best TV series ever, the other being The Sopranos.

Better Call Saul features two of my favorite characters from Breaking Bad, Saul Goodman and Mike Ehrmantraut, and one of my favorite comedic actors, Michael McKean. I especially enjoyed the episodes that revealed Mike's back story.

It has a tone similar to Breaking Bad, but stands on its own quite nicely. The too-short first season raises more questions that it answers, which bodes well for next season.

The episode about Mike and his past a couple of weeks ago is probably the best hour of TV I've seen in years. I had hopes this show would be a good way to get my Breaking Bad fix, but it really did exceed expectations wildly.

Agree that season 1 was way too short, but the good news is they've already picked it up for season 2, so more Saul to come.
Quote:I still haven't figured out why Breaking Bad was so popular. I have binge watched through the series about 3 times and still don't get it. Good show, but nothing special. I have really liked BCS so far. Not every episode is great, but as a whole, I enjoy it.

Breaking Bad was a masterfully written show, but the acting was what really elevated it to a different level. The way Cranston transitioned from mild mannered high school teacher to drug kingpin and mass murderer and back again was great TV. The character development and the supporting cast only added to the great was of that show.
Quote:Breaking Bad was a masterfully written show, but the acting was what really elevated it to a different level. The way Cranston transitioned from mild mannered high school teacher to drug kingpin and mass murderer and back again was great TV. The character development and the supporting cast only added to the great was of that show.
Don't take my comments wrong. I did enjoy the show. To me, outside of a couple of [BAD WORD REMOVED] lines, I couldn't really get into Walter. Mike was my favorite character.

Quote:I still haven't figured out why Breaking Bad was so popular. I have binge watched through the series about 3 times and still don't get it. Good show, but nothing special. I have really liked BCS so far. Not every episode is great, but as a whole, I enjoy it.

That is blasphemy sir!
Quote:From what I gather, the story line will eventually catch up to the Breaking Bad timeline and possibly beyond.
It'd be funny if the show ends with him getting kidnapped by Walt and Jesse.

I just watched the entire series on Netflix for the first time. I can honestly say it is one of the best series I have ever seen.
Quote:Breaking Bad was a masterfully written show, but the acting was what really elevated it to a different level. The way Cranston transitioned from mild mannered high school teacher to drug kingpin and mass murderer and back again was great TV. The character development and the supporting cast only added to the great was of that show.

I didn't watch it on it's initial run. I was skeptical until I watched it. The character development was outstanding.
Quote:I didn't watch it on it's initial run. I was skeptical until I watched it. The character development was outstanding.

I too was a skeptic, but I had an opportunity a little while back to binge watch the show on Netflix, and I'm almost glad I waited.  I tried to watch the show when it first came on, but I just didn't get into it after the first couple of episodes.  When I went back and watched it again on Netflix, it hooked me almost immediately.  Not sure why it didn't stick the first time, but Breaking Bad is indeed the best television show since the Sopranos in my book. 

When they started talking about Odenkirk reviving Saul for a spinoff, I was doubtful it would come even remotely close to meeting expectations in comparison with Breaking Bad.  When the show got the green light, I figured I'd watch an episode or two to see just how campy they'd make the guy look, and I've been totally surprised with how good the show actually is.  I guess I shouldn't be considering it's the same bunch who produced Breaking Bad, but I just didn't see where they could take this story line.  It's fresh, interesting, and it still pays homage to the show from which it sprouted.  Seeing the hat tips to Breaking Bad in every episode, and knowing that the story lines eventually converge, I've been captivated by the show. 

Like I said earlier, getting the back story on Mike, who was one of my favorite characters from BB, was like manna from heaven.  It really added quite a bit to the substance of the character to get a sense for who he was before he became the gruff muscle for Saul.  That character alone is worth the price of admission.  Even in the episode last night, we're still learning things about this guy that were never fully hashed out in BB.  It's must see TV, IMO. 
Like others, this show has exceeded my expectations as well.

I'm really impressed at how dense the storylines are.  It's much better than it has any right to be.  What should be little more than backstory, is a wealth of entertainment that stands on it's own. The fact it ties in so seamlessly and tightly with Breaking Bad, makes the experience that much richer.

The H2 on Sprewells had me cracking up

Lol is the guy on the phone the same guy from breaking bad
Yeah the hummer was bad..

Did anyone think the Lancer was a few years before it's debut in the US?

$50 shots of tequila and a night with blondie? Slick Jimmy ought to hold on to that....

I think BB was one of the best shows I have ever viewed.  That being said, I think this is going to be better.  Gilligan/Gould are the most underrated people in television.  Their incredible.  Their abilityto lead you in so many ways.  To give so many ideas as to what it could be, and then drop something on  you that's nothing like anything you were expecting.  Well we all have extreme expectations, because we know how the story ends.  The way they get you there, is going be why this sow will be even better than BB.

If you guys have been fallowing Odenkirk since Mr. Show, you'll agree that It's goingto be weird watching him give thank you speeches at the Emmys.  If you haven't, GO WATCH MR. SHOW!!!!!!!

Quote:Yeah the hummer was bad..

Did anyone think the Lancer was a few years before it's debut in the US?

$50 shots of tequila and a night with blondie? Slick Jimmy ought to hold on to that....

Wasnt that tequila the same one Gus brought the cartel boss?  The bottle looked familiar 
Gilligan always sets a hook for the next show. Now I want to know what's up with the light switch.
Pages: 1 2 3 4