Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Is It Time to Move On From Marcedes Lewis?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Currently Marcedes Lewis has a 2015 salary of $6.65 Mil with another $150,000 in workout money.

All of this for a glorified Blocking TE.

If the Jags can sign a Pass Catching TE, might they replace Marcedes Lewis with a more affordable blocking TE like

Lee Smith - TE - Bills - 6'6" 265 lbs - 28 in Nov 2015

He currently is a UFA and should cost less than 2 Mil/Yr.

Doug Marrone and Nathanial Hackett both know this guy since he helped make their running game go.

Does it make sense to pay a premium to keep Marcedes when we can get his replacement for perhaps a 1/3 of the cost and get a younger talent to boot?

The Jags could try and see if they could get a draft pick for him, perhaps a 5th or 6th Rd pick, or they can cut him outright. His salary is a bit high but perhaps he would lower this salary for the team he was traded to say like the Raiders with JDR. Marcedes is a West Coast guy, maybe he needs to finish his career on that coast.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I'd say it's time to move on. He is what he is. Never lived up to the pass catcher he was in college, dropped easy catches too much, and with the terrible qb play every catchable ball is so much more important to haul in.
Marcedes needs to have his salary adjusted to his play.If it took cutting him and then resigning him then so be it. I know this will not be popular with this fan base but he is a good TE when healthy. Pass catching TE he is not. I would love for him to retire a Jaguar.

Is this really a question?
We should cut him then try to resign him for TE3 money.
Restructure his contract, as least. If we can't do that, then I do believe it's time to move on from him.

He's strong and versatile with room to still be good either here or somewhere else. I think the Jags should keep him.

If the team moves on, it won't be a cap move. If they can upgrade the position, they will. His roster spot is certainly no lock this year.
Paying him too much to sit on on the bench and be unproductive on the field
The front office isn't going to cut Lewis because he makes $6.65 million. The only way they might cut him is if they find a better player for the position. This team has $65 million in cap space, how much money a player makes is almost completely irrelevant to the football decisions the is going to make. 

If he takes a pay cut Im fine with him staying with us but the money he has been paid is not worth what we have seen on the field.

Saw scarecrows for sale at Tractor Supply earlier this week. Instant upgrade
Quote:If the team moves on, it won't be a cap move. If they can upgrade the position, they will. His roster spot is certainly no lock this year.

Bingo.

If they can get someone better, his spot is in jeopardy. If not, it's likely he stays around.
Yea ive been bummed with Mercedes since he came outa ucla.  Just a big bust.  I say try and restructure and see if u can keep him here for more appropriate money and then sign a guy like Charles clay to go with him...cant help but think how helpful thatd be for both bortles and maybe even Mercedes.

It's been time to move on from Lewis for a couple of years now, but he keeps winding up as the best option on the team. I had some hope that Clay Harbor might nudge him off the roster this year, but Harbor was not up to the task.

I'm hoping the team lands a guy like Charles Clay who's in Lewis' class as a blocker, but a much better receiver as well.

Depends...

If he is willing to re-structure his contract to more closely align with his level of play then he would be worth keeping. If not, then he needs to get dropped like... like Mercedes Lewis trying to catch an easy pass! 

He's the best cage-fighter we have on the team sooo...
Is it 2010 again already?
[Image: anigif_original-grid-image-31493-1404667325-9.gif]

"Pay me, Biotch"

Quote:If the team moves on, it won't be a cap move. If they can upgrade the position, they will. His roster spot is certainly no lock this year.
I agree.

Besides, this is the last year of his contract anyway. His salary is off the books after this upcoming season.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7