Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: SB Nation article on Marqise Lee's rookie season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
good article. would like to see on on Hurns I think he is a find and could be our #1
Quote:good article. would like to see on on Hurns I think he is a find and could be our #1

Allen Hurns a #1? I highly doubt it, there's a reason he went undrafted, he's a solid athlete but not a great one, he has ok hands not great hands, he’s an ok route runner not a great one, see where I'm going with this? A true #1 WR at this level needs to be great in at least two of those areas, Allen Hurns is more of a chain moving possession guy, I like Marqise Lee's ability to develop into a #1 more than Hurns because he (Lee) is athletically dynamic. Allen Robinson is the guy (imo) that has the best chance of developing because of his size, and his athletic ability, he also has great hands.

If you can't win vertically as a WR at this level you're not a true #1 Imo, because defenses don't have to roll coverage your way. The only way Hurns wins vertically is via double moves, an CB's at this level are simply too good to consistently bite on slant and go's/out and up's, guys like Brandon Marshall, Kelvin Benjamin, and Alshon Jeffery are able to win vertically because their size allots them a huge catch radius, Allen doesn't have that kind of size or catch radius.

Never underestimate hard work.

Quote:Never underestimate hard work.

If you referring to Allen Hurns developing into a number one it doesn't matter how hard he works, he doesn't have the god given athleticism or size to be a true #1 at the NFL level, he can certainly develop into an okay #2, but his ceiling is low. If you weren't referring to Hurns developing into a #1 I apologize.

Quote:If you referring to Allen Hurns developing into a number one it doesn't matter how hard he works, he doesn't have the god given athleticism or size to be a true #1 at the NFL level, he can certainly develop into an okay #2, but his ceiling is low. If you weren't referring to Hurns developing into a #1 I apologize.
He was the best receiver on the team last year.

#1 in catches

#1 in yards

#1 in TDs

:teehee:

Quote:He was the best receiver on the team last year.

#1 in catches

#1 in yards

#1 in TDs

On a team with one of the worst receivers in football (Cecil Shorts), a raw rookie in Marqise Lee, a suspended Justin Blackmon, and a injured Allen Robinson, one should not be surprised Allen Hurns (who had previously played in JF's offense) had success, listen, I think Hurns can turn into a solid #2/#3, but if you honestly believe has a legit chance to turn into a #1 at this level you're going to be disappointed. How often do undrafted wideouts turn into #1 receivers? Thank you.

Quote:On a team with one of the worst receivers in football (Cecil Shorts), a raw rookie in Marqise Lee, a suspended Justin Blackmon, and a injured Allen Robinson, one should not be surprised Allen Hurns (who had previously played in JF's offense) had success, listen, I think Hurns can turn into a solid #2/#3, but if you honestly believe has a legit chance to turn into a #1 at this level you're going to be disappointed. How often do undrafted wideouts turn into #1 receivers? Thank you.
I guess it depends on your Def. of a #1 receiver. I agree #1 in talent he is not. I was thinking more where he plays. 1WR                 TGCGTTE             3WR             2WR

QB

RB

And he doesnt stretch the field, pretty sure he was also #1 in long passes down field. I really think Lee works best from the slot short crossing paterns that he can catch and use his quickness to get YAC. Arob on the opposite side of Hurns.
Quote:I guess it depends on your Def. of a #1 receiver. I agree #1 in talent he is not. I was thinking more where he plays. 1WR                 TGCGTTE             3WR             2WR

QB

RB

And he doesnt stretch the field, pretty sure he was also #1 in long passes down field. I really think Lee works best from the slot short crossing paterns that he can catch and use his quickness to get YAC. Arob on the opposite side of Hurns.

My definition of a #1 receiver is a guy that can take the top off a defense with speed, but can also win in the short to intermediate areas with strength, physical play and toughness, he has to be strong enough to get off the line of scrimmage against press coverage, he has to have great hands, defenses will typically roll coverage (put a safety over the top) his way because he’s a big play threat, my definition of a #1 is a guy that makes everyone around him better, Allen Hurns simply doesn’t possess the physical ability to be that guy, a "Jimmy Smith" type talent is what I’m looking for. Can Allen Hurns be the Jaguars "de facto" #1? Sure, I could "technically" be the Jaguars #1, but that doesn't bode well for the Jaguars offense if that ends up being the case haha.

Quote:My definition of a #1 receiver is a guy that can take the top off a defense with speed, but can also win in the short to intermediate areas with strength, physical play and toughness, he has to be strong enough to get off the line of scrimmage against press coverage, he has to have great hands, defenses will typically roll coverage (put a safety over the top) his way because he’s a big play threat, my definition of a #1 is a guy that makes everyone around him better, Allen Hurns simply doesn’t possess the physical ability to be that guy, a "Jimmy Smith" type talent is what I’m looking for. Can Allen Hurns be the Jaguars "de facto" #1? Sure, but that doesn't bode well for the Jaguars offense if that ends up being the case.
Right now that is either Lee Or Hurns. I truly think we will spend on a #1 WR in free agency and let the rookies develope along side him.

Quote:Right now that is either Lee Or Hurns. I truly think we will spend on a #1 WR in free agency and let the rookies develope along side him.

The Jaguars don't have anyone on the current active roster that fits the bill I just described, the one guy that can potentially develop into that is Allen Robinson. I also think the Jaguars will go after a veteran WR, the guy I'd keep an eye on is Torrey Smith, he's not a #1 (Imo), but he has the elite speed to consistently win deep.

Quote:The Jaguars don't have anyone on the current active roster that fits the bill I just described, the one guy that can potentially develop into that is Allen Robinson. I also think the Jaguars will go after a veteran WR, the guy I'd keep an eye on is Torrey Smith, he's not a #1 (Imo), but he has the elite speed to consistently win deep.
I ment  Arob both he and hurns are 6'3 Lee is the smaller quicker reciever.

But yes i would like to see them get Larry Fitzgerald not sure cards will let him get out of there.
Quote:I ment  Arob both he and hurns are 6'3 Lee is the smaller quicker reciever.

But yes i would like to see them get Larry Fitzgerald not sure cards will let him get out of there.

Ok my bad, here's a scenario (and a realistic one), the Jaguars sign a guy like Torrey Smith in free agency, and gets a sober focused Justin Blackmon back as well, all of sudden you have a surplus of receivers. What do you do? If that's the case Allen Hurns might not even make the final 53, there's no way they could "sneak" him to the practice squad either, he might generate some trade interest but it'd be a late
round pick at best. This a scenario I'm sure the Jaguars are thinking about, because there's a good chance it happens given the unique situation of Justin Blackmon.

Quote:Ok my bad, here's a scenario (and a realistic one), the Jaguars sign a guy like Torrey Smith in free agency, and gets a sober focused Justin Blackmon back as well, all of sudden you have a surplus of receivers. What do you do? If that's the case Allen Hurns might not even make the final 53, there's no way they could "sneak" him to the practice squad either, he might generate some trade interest but it'd be a late
round pick at best. This a scenario I'm sure the Jaguars are thinking about, because there's a good chance it happens given the unique situation of Justin Blackmon.
Teach Hurns how to return punts :teehee:
Good read. Thanks for posting.

I think Lee has a better season than hurns, sanders, or shorts next year.

#1 in catches

#1 in yards

#1 in TDs

So?

#1 in catches

#1 in yards

#1 in TDs

I think he will be the best WR on the team this year also and our first 1000 yrd WR since Jimmy Smith.
Quote:I think he will be the best WR on the team this year also and our first 1000 yrd WR since Jimmy Smith.

I have to agree with this. Love the way Hurns runs his routes. Love his combination of speed and size and last but not least is his toughness. This dude got slammed over the middle almost every game and got up everytime and kept playing!
Quote:I ment  Arob both he and hurns are 6'3 Lee is the smaller quicker reciever.

Hurns isn't 6' 3"
Pages: 1 2 3 4