Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Tail that Wags the Dog
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
No matter how you feel about Obama, or our policy towards Israel, or our negotiations with Iran on ending their nuclear program, no matter how you feel about any of that, you have to admit that Netanyahu's decision to come and address a joint session of Congress, without an invitation from the White House, or even consulting the White House, is pretty insulting to the President of the United States. 

Even Fox News (Chris Wallace and Shep Smith) has said this is very insulting and a bad thing to do.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHWbqwh4PB0

Imagine the President going to another country to address members of Parliament without any consultation with the head of state of that country.  

It's all a big election stunt by Netanyahu, banking on the idea that insulting the President of the United States will help him win re-election. 

The United States is just about Israel's last supporter in the world, and if they lose public support in the United States, they are sunk.   That's what makes this such a stupid political stunt.   Support for Israel has up until now been bipartisan, but actions like this, deliberately and publicly insulting the head of one political party, risks turning that support into a partisan issue.   

What a stupid, pointless thing to do.  

Agreed. He comes off as a bully. Never good in negotiations. He's banking on the GOP control to side with him on every issue.

He's not the helpless victim he tries to portray.

Yes he's our ally. So was Russia at one time.

I support our alliances, and that they are our supporter. But acting this way regardless of his reasons puts him in a bad light, IMO.
While you both have valid points and this is a politically incorrect thing to do, President Obama has thumbed his nose at Israel time and time again since taking office.  Granted two wrongs do not make a right but there is some justification regardless of how petty in may be.

Quote:While you both have valid points and this is a politically incorrect thing to do, President Obama has thumbed his nose at Israel time and time again since taking office.  Granted two wrongs do not make a right but there is some justification regardless of how petty in may be.
Personally, I am just fine with distancing ourselves from Israel. I don't think they antagonistic and land grabby ways are something we should support and reward with billions of dollars.

That aside, I think there is big difference between saying things in interviews and press conferences about another country/leader and going to the country's governing body in a manner that does it in person. Both him and the GOP led congress should be ashamed of themselves. The base will eat it up though regardless of some backlash from the pundits.
He knows that Obama and the Left in this country are his enemies. He is very wise to bypass the hostile co-equal part of our government that is in its last days for the friendly co-equal part of our government that will be in power for the foreseeable future.

Quote:He knows that Obama and the Left in this country are his enemies. He is very wise to bypass the hostile co-equal part of our government that is in its last days for the friendly co-equal part of our government that will be in power for the foreseeable future.

Sure it's wise, just in an incredibly insulting way. The lack of protocol nor respect for the office fits in very well with the current congress. It's not surprising he would do this, just wrong and I think it's ok to say that. 
Stopping or at least trying to stop Iran is probably more important to Israel then scoring political points with or against a foreign political party.

Quote:Stopping or at least trying to stop Iran is probably more important to Israel then scoring political points with or against a foreign political party.
We need to negotiate harder, with more bombs. At least that's what it seems he wants.
Quote:Sure it's wise, just in an incredibly insulting way. The lack of protocol nor respect for the office fits in very well with the current congress. It's not surprising he would do this, just wrong and I think it's ok to say that. 

I don't know if you quite get this, but there's a whole lot of people around the world who think Barack Obama is an unqualified [BLEEP] and they'll do what they have to to avoid dealing with his petulant self.
Quote:I don't know if you quite get this, but there's a whole lot of people around the world who think Barack Obama is an unqualified [BAD WORD REMOVED] and they'll do what they have to to avoid dealing with his petulant self.
There are even more people around the world who think Netenyahu is a war criminal that our congress has invited to speak to them presumably about furthering the war mongers' agenda that the GOP will completely faun all over. What's your point? That you dislike Obama? 
Quote:We need to negotiate harder, with more bombs. At least that's what it seems he wants.

I don't think you'll ever convince Israel or Iran to negotiate you're talking about ethnic differences that have been at war long before we ever came around. I just prefer to stay out of it all together.
Quote:There are even more people around the world who think Netenyahu is a war criminal that our congress has invited to speak to them presumably about furthering the war mongers' agenda that the GOP will completely faun all over. What's your point? That you dislike Obama? 

My point is that it's no insult to me to avoid dealing with an embarrassment like Obama. I completely understand, as does the late King Abdullah and the PM of India.
Quote:My point is that it's no insult to me to avoid dealing with an embarrassment like Obama. I completely understand, as does the late King Abdullah and the PM of India.

You have no problem with insults to the office because you don't like the person in the office. I however, think the office deserves respect regardless of who is in it. I also don't think the gop should have invited such a warmonger to speak to them period. 

Aside from that, isn't it becoming more public knowledge that the late King and his family are one of the driving forces behind the spread of extremism in the middle east? I mean if that's who you want to compare the Israeli PM to. Frankly neither country should get our support, IMO
Quote:My point is that it's no insult to me to avoid dealing with an embarrassment like Obama. I completely understand, as does the late King Abdullah and the PM of India.

So the Speaker of the House has invited the Prime Minister of Israel to come over here and do something that is blatantly insulting to the President of the United States.   You think it is wise for the Prime Minister of Israel to do that?   You think it is wise for the Prime Minister of Israel to take sides in US politics?   I think it's incredibly stupid, no matter what I think of the current occupant of the White House. 
Quote:So the Speaker of the House has invited the Prime Minister of Israel to come over here and do something that is blatantly insulting to the President of the United States.   You think it is wise for the Prime Minister of Israel to do that?   You think it is wise for the Prime Minister of Israel to take sides in US politics?   I think it's incredibly stupid, no matter what I think of the current occupant of the White House. 
Absolutely

In addition to that, back in the 90's Netenyahu ripped another politician running for PM for going to speak before congress in the weeks leading up to election as an obvious political ploy. Just find that interesting. 
One of my favorite quotes ever was from Maj. Richard Winters of Easy Company (Band of Brothers).

An officer who at one time was senior to Winters passed by him and didn't salute him because, frankly he (Cpt. Sobel) was a turd. Winters told him, you respect the rank, not the man.

We may not respect the man in office for whatever reason but we should respect the position he holds.
It's an insult to the Office of the President and, by extension, the people of the United States. The insult is shared by the Republican controlled congress. Do not think for a minute they weren't aware this would happen, and are enjoying it.

So was everyone as upset when Pelosi went and visited Assad?

Quote:So was everyone as upset when Pelosi went and visited Assad?
Apples and oranges. But yes, that was a bad idea. I don't much like Pelosi
Quote:So was everyone as upset when Pelosi went and visited Assad?

I wasn't even aware she did that, but if she did, without the backing of the White House, then she is definitely at fault for that. 

Edit: I looked it up, and it happened during the Bush administration, without the backing of the White House.  It was a bad thing to do. 

Pages: 1 2 3