Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Was the Marrone hire a contingency for Caldwell?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Was wondering why the FO wouldn't just name him OC rather than make Olsen the oc with him as the " assistant head coach/ oline".. Then i pictured the possiblity of us going 0-8 to start the season and realized maybe marrone is daves way lf covering another horrible start to a year.... If they start like horse crap, he fires bradley and lets marrone take the reins.

Maybe ive lost it after 4 years of bottom of the league, but everything smells like conspiracy to me lol.
You arent alone. I am not one to immediately think CONSPIRACY!!! but... At times the decisions made in the FO make you wonder. Imo it is a fail safe for Caldwell. If things goes south early he has a top tier HC prospect he could just bring up to HC on the staff, and if things go well he has a quality assistant that will likely be gone in 2016 anyway. Either way he is either our HC or another teams HC in 2016 if I had to guess.

Quote:You arent alone. I am not one to immediately think CONSPIRACY!!! but... At times the decisions made in the FO make you wonder. Imo it is a fail safe for Caldwell. If things goes south early he has a top tier HC prospect he could just bring up to HC on the staff, and if things go well he has a quality assistant that will likely be gone in 2016 anyway. Either way he is either our HC or another teams HC in 2016 if I had to guess.
Thats where im at.... No matter how i look at it, that makes the most since... If all goes well, great, dave was right hiring bradley...but if it hits the fan, we have a hc in waiting.. I know we need help on the oline, but bringing a guy who was a decent canidate for most hc positions as the oline coach/ assistant hc just seems like the" steve young to montanta" situation to me(not the best metaphor, but one is coming in to push the other up or out)
I think you're reading too much into it. If I'm not mistaken Gus makes the calls on his coaching staff. Meaning he has the right to fire/hire who he wants and give whatever title he sees fit. I'm pretty sure Gus didn't hire Marrone with the contingency that he will replace him.
Didn't Gus hire Marrone?

Gus hired Marrone. They are working as a team. Everybody take a deep breathe and relax.
If the Jaguars don't progress well enough from the standpoint of Shad Khan and he decides a coaching change is necessary,  I'll be surprised if Doug Marrone is the team's HC in 2016.   Even if Dave Caldwell is back,  I think Shad Khan is going to want a HC that can be sold to the fan base better than Marrone.     Especially,  considering the investments that Khan has made into the Jaguars franchise already and much more to come in 2015 (  multitude of salary cap space. ).   Marrone has too many question marks surrounding his HC stay in Buffalo to offer the type of confidence that would be needed if the Jaguars have another disappointing season.

Maybe the hire nothing more than Gus saying lets bring in a veteran HC (probably short term) with the experience on the other side of the ball that he doesnt have to turn this O around? I just see him as an advisor.
I'm sure part of the reason Marrone took the job was because he knew if gus went he'd take over, that being said I'm sure gus hired him for the extra experience to make sher he's not fired
Perhaps it was so marrone could focus entirely on the weakest section of our offense the o line

added Olson has a better record with young qbs so Gus probably wanted him working more closely with bortles

i doubt Bradley replacement is on the staff right now
Quote:Was wondering why the FO wouldn't just name him OC rather than make Olsen the oc with him as the " assistant head coach/ oline".. Then i pictured the possiblity of us going 0-8 to start the season and realized maybe marrone is daves way lf covering another horrible start to a year.... If they start like horse crap, he fires bradley and lets marrone take the reins.

Maybe ive lost it after 4 years of bottom of the league, but everything smells like conspiracy to me lol.
Gus hired Marrone, not Dave, so how is this a Caldwell contingency?

In the end, I think Gus wanted that experience on the coaching staff, and he had a real need to find a reputable offensive line coach.  They did something similar a few years back when the hired Mike Tice and gave him basically the same designation.  He was never the fallback guy for the team.  It was just a way of luring a coach to Jacksonville to handle a specific position while giving him a bit more of an expanded title. 
Quote:I think you're reading too much into it. If I'm not mistaken Gus makes the calls on his coaching staff. Meaning he has the right to fire/hire who he wants and give whatever title he sees fit. I'm pretty sure Gus didn't hire Marrone with the contingency that he will replace him.

Quote:Didn't Gus hire Marrone?
I understand that...i guess the part im hung up on is why a guy who was relatively sucseful as an hc makes a move that is, at least from an outsider looking in, a down grade... I know the money he is getting from buf adds a different dynamic to his situation, but it still seems weird... A hc from a 9-7 team walks away to take a oline job on one of the worst teams in the nfl?

Either way, im happy he is here and im hoping our oline looks way better next year.
Quote:Gus hired Marrone, not Dave, so how is this a Caldwell contingency?

In the end, I think Gus wanted that experience on the coaching staff, and he had a real need to find a reputable offensive line coach.  They did something similar a few years back when the hired Mike Tice and gave him basically the same designation.  He was never the fallback guy for the team.  It was just a way of luring a coach to Jacksonville to handle a specific position while giving him a bit more of an expanded title.
I honestly still felt like fo makes those decisions but if gus actually was the guy who called up marrone, interviewed him, and got him to sign on the dotted line, then no, this isnt a caldwell contengency... The tice situation makes alot of since as well... Only thing was tice was fired iirc cause the vikes were terrible, so him makeing a move to oline coach wasn't an eyebrow raiser.
Its common for position coaches to be given the Assistant Head Coach tag for additional responsibilities. Also, Caldwell should have NO contingency plan.

Seriously, you're going to fire Bradley for not being able to win with the roster of UDFA, rookies, and 2nd year guys that Caldwell has given him?

You fire Bradley, you fire Caldwell.

You keep Gus, you keep Dave.

We got some quality coaches. Now we've got conspiracy theorists out there saying the hires are a plan to replace the current coach. Can't we ever just be happy with the moves made?

Quote:We got some quality coaches. Now we've got conspiracy theorists out there saying the hires are a plan to replace the current coach. Can't we ever just be happy with the moves made?
Lol youve caught me...now i feel sooo guilty about inquiring about a recent hire.....honestly i am happy, ive always been a supporter of gus and dave and i like the marrone hire alot... I think it adresses one of our main problems head on...my only concern that i guess makes me a consperiacy theorist is why marrone would have taken the job he did...i really would not want the situation i originaly posted to actually happen, just stating it seemed like a possiblity from what ive seen so far(which isnt much)... Lol and the last sentence in my op was kindof a joke but its cool, take it how you want.

I have noticed over the last few years this is a trend... Tons of blind optimism in the offseason with people bashing anyone who questions moves made by the team... Then flip [BLEEP] when we start the year 0-8 and act like its a huge shocker
Quote:Was wondering why the FO wouldn't just name him OC rather than make Olsen the oc with him as the " assistant head coach/ oline".. Then i pictured the possiblity of us going 0-8 to start the season and realized maybe marrone is daves way lf covering another horrible start to a year.... If they start like horse crap, he fires bradley and lets marrone take the reins.

They only place Marrone has been OC was the Saints and Sean Payton called the plays for them. That's the only answer you need.
I'd be interested to see a thread on some of the top conspiracy theories around here for the last decade or so. I bet there would be some really entertaining entries.
Marrone has HC experience.

Olson does not.

If Bradley is sick, away, or fired -- Marrone would be the guy to step in.

Outside of that... Marrone is just the Oline coach.

Olson will be the OC and I would guess Olson will call plays on game-day.

If Marrone takes over as HC in some capacity, he could, in theory, relieve Olson of game day duties and take it into his own hands.

Bradley hired these guys though... maybe he felt Marrone's HC experience could help him. A contingency plan for himself maybe.

No, you're not alone at thinking about this possibility. It actually crossed my mind too when I read the title 'assistant head coach'. I would like to think though that Dave gives Gus the benefit of the doubt about what it's going to take to turn this team around and not take any premature action. Besides, I expect that Dave, Gus, and Khan were all involved in the decision to gut the team a couple of season back and go with youth (aka-the draft) to rebuild the team. They knew it was not going to be an overnight fix, especially given the depth of the damage done over the years (particularly by Gene Smith). 

I find I have a certain predisposition to smell conspiracy too often too; perhaps its a result of reading too many Richard Marcinko stories.
Pages: 1 2 3