Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Gerhart? Do we keep him?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
If we cut Gerhart before March 14th, we won't owe him anymore money.

So my question is, should we cut him or keep him? DRob, Todman, Storm and a possible rookie could be in line here.

I say we cut him or try to trade him maybe. I don't know his trade value but I would love to draft Gurley in the 2nd if he was there or Coleman in the 3rd.

Is this team in some sort of cap crisis that requires they unload a player to save money? 

I don't see them cutting or trading him.  Especially when the GM has said RB is not going to be a priority for them this off season.  If they were to move on, they sure as heck wouldn't do it before they have someone on the roster they feel confident can replace him.  The guy played most of the year with nagging injuries.  My guess is they recognize this and will stick with the investment, especially with a new offense being installed that hopefully will utilize his strengths more effectively than Fisch did. 

He was getting better and might want to consider keeping but we need another good back from the draft too.

Robinson should be good to go.

Quote:Is this team in some sort of cap crisis that requires they unload a player to save money? 

I don't see them cutting or trading him.  Especially when the GM has said RB is not going to be a priority for them this off season.  If they were to move on, they sure as heck wouldn't do it before they have someone on the roster they feel confident can replace him.  The guy played most of the year with nagging injuries.  My guess is they recognize this and will stick with the investment, especially with a new offense being installed that hopefully will utilize his strengths more effectively than Fisch did. 
Cutting him to make room for players who have played better than him or to make room for more talented runners. I'm not saying I think we should cut him but depending on how things shape up, it wouldn't shock me to see him cut.
I think we keep him. Once he was healthy, Gerhart actually did a solid job. Denard will likely be the lead back, but Gerhart will be able to spell him along with Todman every so often.

Quote:Cutting him to make room for players who have played better than him or to make room for more talented runners. I'm not saying I think we should cut him but depending on how things shape up, it wouldn't shock me to see him cut.

They've got their investment in the guy.  I think they're committed to him for at least another year.  The injuries had a significant impact on his ability to be productive, and the play calling didn't help either.  I don't see them moving on from him.  If they do secure another RB at some point, he's not the one that would be moved to make room (even though there's no need to make roster room either).
Quote:If we cut Gerhart before March 14th, we won't owe him anymore money.

So my question is, should we cut him or keep him? DRob, Todman, Storm and a possible rookie could be in line here.

Only if they're targeting his replacement in the draft.
He can play a role, and it's not like we're bleeding with talent at the position. We essentially have 3 role players I don't see any of them as full time backs. We have enough problems to address this offseason.

No reason to release Gerhart.

What exactly did Storm Johnson do?

Todman is our best running back. Keep Toby and give todman more carries.

Quote:What exactly did Storm Johnson do?
He ran into the pile with total commitment. 

He's a developmental guy.  Wasn't expecting much from him this year, and he didn't disappoint. 

As long as he isn't starting I don't care. 

With the cap room last year, they did pay his $3m signing bonus in the form of a roster bonus, taking the full amount into last year's cap.  There would be no dead money, or unamortized bonus, to hit this next year's cap if he is released.  He is due a salary of $3m ($2.5m base + $0.5m roster bonus) this next year, none of which is guaranteed. 

The salary is not cap prohibitive if they keep him, nor is there any dead money hit should they release him.  The decision to keep or release him would be solely by performance expectation to the other RBs on the roster.  Personally, I think Robinson and Gerhart are safe, but Johnson and Todman are at risk if another back is brought in to compete.   

If they think someone is already on the roster that can take his spot (e.g. Todman or Storm), then yes, but otherwise no.  We're not strapped where we have to cut him.

I think if they get the right tackle position figured out, and Linder gets bigger and better at run blocking we'll might be pleasantly surprised with what Gerhardt is able to do.  He showed it at the end of the season that once he gets into the secondary that it takes 3 guys to bring him down.  Just get him past the HUGE guys and we'll be able to power run him into the ground like they did in Stanford given that he stays healthy. 

Now as for DRob, I'm curious, because I think Todman and DRob have a very similar skill set, Both quick smaller and elusive and if DRob didn't get hurt I think he's got the bigger upside of Todman.  Ultimately it'll come down to who is healthy. 

He's currently our 3rd best back and is getting paid like a top 10 RB.. cut him, cap issues or not he isn't worth keeping.

We gain nothing for letting him go. No one is going to give us a pick for him and we don't need the cap space.
This is kinda like the argument about if we should cut justin blackmon, there's literally no reason to do it. 

Pages: 1 2 3