Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How is Bortles worse than Blaine Gabbert?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
ESPN just showed a stat of the worse NFL QBRs since 2010 while talking about Cutler getting benched. Blaine Gabbert was on the list with 21.7...and Bortles was ahead of him with a 21.4 and only Jimmy Clausen had a worse QBR. I just don't understand how Bortles' QBR is so low. Yes he has 17 INTs to 10 TDs but that's really the only stat he's THAT subpar in. I mean, i don't know how you watch Bortles and say he is as bad as Gabbert. PFF and other advanced statistic websites also have Bortles as being really brutal. I just don't get it.

Quote:ESPN just showed a stat of the worse NFL QBRs since 2010 while talking about Cutler getting benched. Blaine Gabbert was on the list with 21.7...and Bortles was ahead of him with a 21.4 and only Jimmy Clausen had a worse QBR. I just don't understand how Bortles' QBR is so low. Yes he has 17 INTs to 10 TDs but that's really the only stat he's THAT subpar in. I mean, i don't know how you watch Bortles and say he is as bad as Gabbert. PFF and other advanced statistic websites also have Bortles as being really brutal. I just don't get it.

I know the INTs bring it down, and Bortles has a bunch of them.

Do the pick 6s bring it down even more then just a standard INT would?

If that's the case, then that could be how his QBR is Gabbert bad, instead of just bad.
That's why those websites are incredible crap
That's one reason why I hate stats. They don't tell the whole story. Blaine Goobert <<<<<<<<<<Blake Bortles. Even with this terrible O line Blake stands tall and gets smashed almost every play, while Goobert goes to the fetal position. They aren't even close, once again ESPN is not reliable.
He doesn't curl up like a 3 month old in the face of a rush. Good enough for me.
Quote:He doesn't curl up like a 3 month old in the face of a rush. Good enough for me.

See, it wasn't even a minute after my previous post. Goobert is a scared little girl.
No, I'd say Bortles performance is every bit as bad as Gabbert's, and the numbers bear it out.

However...

QBR, like all QB rating systems, don't take the whole picture into account.  That's one of the reasons I usually don't pay any attention to it.  I have seen Gabbert's rookie season, and I've seen Bortles'.  There's good reason to be hopeful about our young QB.

Stats only show so much. Gabbert had a prime MJD and a great run blocking line and still did crap. He also crumbled under pressure and didn't have the mobility Bortles has.
I think this stat is only one game...
Bortles looks much better but hasn't produced much better.  Yet.  It's all about potential in Bortles.  In Blaine, it was hopeless.  But Blake hasn't played all that well so this isn't that suprising.

If anyone tells you they weren't excited after seeing this, they are flat out lying.

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=09oUUhkSxbQ'>https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=09oUUhkSxbQ</a>
Quote:No, I'd say Bortles performance is every bit as bad as Gabbert's, and the numbers bear it out.

However...

QBR, like all QB rating systems, don't take the whole picture into account.  That's one of the reasons I usually don't pay any attention to it.  I have seen Gabbert's rookie season, and I've seen Bortles'.  There's good reason to be hopeful about our young QB.

I don't see how you come to that conclusion.

Bortles will stand in the pocket (occasional problem--rookie). He's far more accurate throwing deep. He's thrown for more yards. I suppose he throws more INTs, but the problems with the OL really take a toll on him. You'll gradually see Bortles rush throws and fail to step-up in the pocket after taking abuse all game. When he doesn't take as many sacks, he's routinely stepping-up and making decent throws.

This stat is pure garbage. 
That video lol

Quote:That video lol

That is the confidence and swagger you want out of your franchise man.
Quote:If anyone tells you they weren't excited after seeing this, they are flat out lying.

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=09oUUhkSxbQ'>https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=09oUUhkSxbQ</a>

Pretty sure that was a collaboration from seldom right, oklahomie, and jagfan88.
First of all, the Youtube Gabbert's a Real American video is pure gold!  I watch it at the start of every NFL season to get my hyped!

Now for the stats I pulled.

BB5 has played 12 games.   Gabbert played 10 games in 2012 (2nd year) and 3 games in 2013 (before being upgraded with Henne--let that sink  in)

BB5 10 TDs                    BG  10TDs

BB5  17 INTS                  BG  13 INTS

BB5  6.4 YPA                  BG  ~5.8 YPA

BB5  2,676 YDS              BG  2,143 YDS

BB5  60.8% Completion  BG  ~57%

So yeah, and that's not taking into consideration all the ghosts BG saw when he was in the pocket.
Attempts:

BB5  416                             BG  364

BB5 has been asked to do more with less and has better real stats.  The ESPN total QBR stinks, if you ask me.  Though I do agree with the Johnny Football total QBR or 1.4 or whatever it was.

I think the problem with ESPN's stats is that it's very subjective and thus subject to be skewed based on the stat taker's biases...

Blaine has won more games. He's also had more or the same winnings drives.

Yawn
Gabbert has a better record in the division too. And a better road record. At least in winning perfecntage.

See how misleading all these can be?
I think the 4 pick 6's have a lot to do with it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4