Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Blake's backup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Blake Bortles is getting sacked... a lot. He is a mobile quarterback who uses his legs to keep plays alive. He nevertheless gets sacked way too often. Sometimes it's his fault too; but more often than not, it's because of our perpetually weak offensive line. We haven't had a really strong offensive line since back in the days of Tony Boselli.

So it would be nice if Bortles had that kind of help around him. He obviously doens't at this time, especially when it comes to blockers. The probability is that if Blake continues to get pounded, he's gonna get hurt and have to go out of the game. Given the other more pressing needs the team has right now, a better backup quarterback option is to get a cheaper one than Chad. 

In fact, if we really view Blake as our 'franchise quarterback' for the foreseeable future, then why not get a very low round quarterback from no name university, and pay him league minimum. If he does have to come in, we wouldn't hardly be worse off than we have been with a more expensive Chad Henne. The probability is that he will spend the bulk of his time on the sideline, so why pay more for an 'experienced' side line cowboy?

Chad has brought virtually nothing to the game to help the team beyond being a body out there to take the snap and hand the ball off. He is not a down field threat nor a threat to run. He is a game manager, which is a nice euphemism for someone to take the snap and hand the ball off. We could get someone younger (and potentially faster as a result) who would cost us a lot less than Chad. You don't need a veteran for a backup unless he's former 'world class' stuff who can help train your new rookie franchise quarterback. Chad isn't. 

I don't know what kind of contract Chad has, but at the end of it I would part ways with Chad and get a kid for a backup. Chad is a known quantity as a quarterback and challenges no one. He had a shot as the starter and lost the job to a rookie. That says it all. Lets get someone way less expensive and replace him when we get the chance.

Absolutely not. I can't take another young QB that needs "development". Give me a veteran who knows how to not lose games aka not chad henne. Wait until Bortles "gets it" before we go with another developmental QB.

Brian Hoyer may be available next year.

Quote:Absolutely not. I can't take another young QB that needs "development". Give me a veteran who knows how to not lose games aka not chad henne. Wait until Bortles "gets it" before we go with another developmental QB.

edit: Nevermind, thought you said you wanted more of checkdown Chad for a moment there.

RGIII
Quote:RGIII

oo lala

Jake Locker

Quote:edit: Nevermind, thought you said you wanted more of checkdown Chad for a moment there.

Nobody could want that...
Quote:Jake Locker

Did you see him in relief the other day?

He's clearly not interested in being in the NFL if it's not as a starter.
Gabbert will be available maybe we can get Roman for OC and Gabs as backup. :teehee:

Quote:Did you see him in relief the other day?

He's clearly not interested in being in the NFL if it's not as a starter.

They all want to be starters.  Didn't even know he played but I doubt any QB plays that great on that team right now.  
There are a lot of failed 2011 QBs coming on the market this year. Smile

The coaching staff implied that Henne has value above and beyond filling in if Bortles is injured. If that's the case, it would probably be best to keep him. It's not like the Jags need the cap space.

Chad Henne (as a backup isnt horrible) he knows the playbook, he's tough, and doesnt take a lot of risks.  The bad side about Chad is that he is least likely among the available QBs to get a first down or make a winning drive.  He wont however cause turnovers as much as others and is often labeled as a game manager.

Quote:Gabbert will be available maybe we can get Roman for OC and Gabs as backup. :teehee:

Good god put the Gabbert fat head away and come to reality.
He just needs a veteran that can help him in the classroom and preparation.

Quote:They all want to be starters.  Didn't even know he played but I doubt any QB plays that great on that team right now.  

Mettenberger looks pretty promising so far for a late round prospect.

Locker came in as the backup and threw for less than 100 yards and a couple of INTs. He was never good, but looks like he either doesn't care about preparation as a backup, or isn't capable of it.
Believe it or not, Henne is one of the better backups in the league.

We could really use a veteran backup for Blake.

There has to be one available that's better then Henne.

I don't know what Henne brings to the QB meetings or how much he really helps Bortles from the sidelines, but the only things I see positive about Henne is that he's pretty tough, as in he rarely gets hurt, and he's pretty inexpensive as a back up QB.

I have no confidence that he could come in and actually move the offense or win a game.

Quote:We could really use a veteran backup for Blake.

I don't know what Hene brings to the QB meetings or how much he really helps Bortles from the sidelines, but the only things I see positive about Henne is that he's pretty tough, as in he rarely gets hurt, and he's pretty inexpensive as a back up QB.

I have no confidence that he could come in and actually move the offense or win a game.

That's the key. He's not good at all.

If Bortles needs a mentor then it means we don't have the right coaching staff.

Draft late round prospects to develop as the backup, don't bother with signing overpriced failures whose last team deemed them expendable.
Quote:We could really use a veteran backup for Blake.

I don't know what Hene brings to the QB meetings or how much he really helps Bortles from the sidelines, but the only things I see positive about Henne is that he's pretty tough, as in he rarely gets hurt, and he's pretty inexpensive as a back up QB.

So who is out there that offers more than Henne?

Henne has actually won games for the Jaguars.
Pages: 1 2 3 4