Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Age Old Question - Win or Draft Pick?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
With 5 games remaining at 1-10 which is more important to you?
Win.  Always. 
Win, no contest.

Leave it to the OP to entertain such a moronic notion to begin with.

For the sake of the coach and players, win every remaining game. For the sake of the future success of the team, lose every game. If Mariotta's stock continues to rise, the Jags could trade back to the Bucs and still get Gregory or Williams. In addition, they'd get an extra 2nd (giving them 2 high second's) and an extra first the next year. This opportunity doesn't happen often. It stinks to lose, but I doubt you'd find many Colt fans who now regret their 1 win season two years ago. 

Draft pick - we have a ton of holes to fill yet.  Would be awesome to pick up an extra 2nd rounder.  Get a pass-rushing DE in the 1st round, then a TE and OT in the 2nd.  

Much better than a couple meaningless wins in garbage time. 
Undecided.  Winning is priority one, but our lack of talent is so bad, I would say it's not worth it to the franchise to win anymore games.  I will never root for them to lose though.  Every week, my homerism jumps up, and I want them to smash the Giants this weekend, even though it will not happen.  Not sure if that's an answer to your question, lol.

Quote:Win.  Always. 

Truer words could never be spoken!  :thumbsup:
Dude, I remember last year attacking all those stupid posters that were talking about tanking. I was screaming from the top of my lungs how it's always about winning in the nfl...

Now things don't seem so black and white. All this losing really takes a toll on a fan's perspective
What would be nice is to NOT be in this position year after year after year...
Win.  There is really no question about it.

Draft position will fall where it falls, and when the time comes just deal with it.

Remember, draft picks = rookies.  Where has a bunch of rookies starting gotten us to this point?  The draft class is not going to change what this team does during that particular season.  It simply gives future developmental players.

Our current roster of rookies needs to win.  They need to experience it.  They need to know what it feels like and what gets them there.

At this point during this rebuild, the draft is more about acquiring depth.  Free agency and the current development of current rookies is more important.

Win 

There is no Clowney/Watkins calibur player at the top and we don't need a QB. I think we give Joekel another year or two so LT isn't a need. 

I know a lot will flame me for this, but here's how I feel about this topic right now:

I think significant shakeup must occur with our coaches. I think waiting to make coaching changes until we see the results of next year is just delaying the inevitable. I believe once one recognizes there is a problem that needs to be corrected every day the issue isn't addressed is a waste. I think if we run off a winning streak, it could allow the owner and gm to rationalize that the entire staff can be given a pass until next year. And in my opinion that would be a mistake.

Also, if we get the number 1 overall pick, there's a possibility of trading down for more picks. And at this point the more picks we have the faster we get better once we install more competent coaches.
I remember this question a few years back and I got reamed for saying lose this last game.  So many people said how great it would be to send Wayne out with a win.  A lot of people were so happy about that.  Now what does that win give us?  Andrew Luck twice a year instead of RG3.  I know this is not the same situation but for someone to say always win well I agree to disagree.  Give me the draft position.      

Quote:I know a lot will flame me for this, but here's how I feel about this topic right now:

I think significant shakeup must occur with our coaches. I think waiting to make coaching changes until we see the results of next year is just delaying the inevitable. I believe once one recognizes there is a problem that needs to be corrected every day the issue isn't addressed is a waste. I think if we run off a winning streak, it could allow the owner and gm to rationalize that the entire staff can be given a pass until next year. And in my opinion that would be a mistake.

Also, if we get the number 1 overall pick, there's a possibility of trading down for more picks. And at this point the more picks we have the faster we get better once we install more competent coaches.

Quote:I remember this question a few years back and I got reamed for saying lose this last game.  So many people said how great it would be to send Wayne out with a win.  A lot of people were so happy about that.  Now what does that win give us?  Andrew Luck twice a year instead of RG3.  I know this is not the same situation but for someone to say always win well I agree to disagree.  Give me the draft position.      

So tell me... what is draft picks going to do for this team right now?
Quote:So tell me... what is draft picks going to do for this team right now?
Right now? Like this season? Nothing.

But that to me isn't the issue. In my eyes, I could ask you what will winning a game or two do for us right now.... You know?
If you don't have a QB - lose. Since we do - win.

Quote:Right now? Like this season? Nothing.

But that to me isn't the issue. In my eyes, I could ask you what will winning a game or two do for us right now.... You know?

The thing is, you have to look at the big picture.  Do we need draft picks to "stock the roster" and have a whole new class of rookies starting, or do we need some depth?  That's what draft picks will get us right now, simply depth with perhaps 1 or 2 being immediate "impact" players that start right away.

Our current rookie roster needs to learn the lesson of winning right now.
Quote:Dude, I remember last year attacking all those stupid posters that were talking about tanking. I was screaming from the top of my lungs how it's always about winning in the nfl...

Now things don't seem so black and white. All this losing really takes a toll on a fan's perspective

What did the Texans gain by "tanking"? Like a few posters on here suggested they were doing.
When you have a QB, win. When you dont, draft pick.
Pages: 1 2 3 4