Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: TELVIN SMITH why isnt he starting?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I know he's a rookie, and they do have him play in certain packages but with all the flashes this guy has shown why isnt he on the field more?

Did you see him whiff on Cedric Peerman? Should have been fourth down but instead he got a 20 yard gain and they scored shortly there after.

Because he can't tackle runningbacks.
He's a nickle backer because he doesn't have the size to compete straight up with RB's most of the time.  I would guess that he'll see some kind of expanded role next season tho with a full season under his belt.

He's flashed, but he's also been a liability more often than not. He'll compete for a starting position by next season.
Quote:I know he's a rookie, and they do have him play in certain packages but with all the flashes this guy has shown why isnt he on the field more?
It's not the flashes of excellence that gets you on the field... it's the lack of boneheaded plays.
Quote:He's a nickle backer because he doesn't have the size to compete straight up with RB's most of the time.  I would guess that he'll see some kind of expanded role next season tho with a full season under his belt.

Yep. Once he bulks up this offseason he should be the starting WILL backer. As of right now nickle LB is the perfect role for him. 

He has so much speed, awareness, and great at catching surely they can find the right fit for him.

Quote:He has so much speed, awareness, and great at catching surely they can find the right fit for him.

They have. Nickel linebacker is the prefect position for him at this stage in his early career.
until he bulks up some he will play the nickel backer position

I get the responsibility of the Middle linebacker, but what about the Sam and the Will linebacker positions? What are their responsibility?
Quote:Yep. Once he bulks up this offseason he should be the starting WILL backer. As of right now nickle LB is the perfect role for him. 

Quote:until he bulks up some he will play the nickel backer position
This.

Everyone, including himself, knows he needs to bulk up some. I'm sure he'll be able to do it without losing any of his speed. He should be fine next year, with a season under his belt.
If missed tackles are the reason Cyprien should never see the field. He also miss fits and assignments but is still out there. Guess having proper weight is the be-all end-all.
Quote:I know he's a rookie, and they do have him play in certain packages but with all the flashes this guy has shown why isnt he on the field more?
He's been getting 30+ snaps most weeks.  They've been playing lots of nickel.  He's got to tackle better to start on the weak side. 
He's a situational guy right now until he gets the bulk to be an every down LB.

He's a +9.0 the last 4 weeks according to PFF, with a positive grade against the run over the span. Keep him on the field and let him learn. Absolutely no reason not to at this point of the season. Hopefully the coaching staff doesn't pull a Laroy Reynolds with him.

Quote:Because he can't tackle runningbacks.

!!! 
The issue isnt him not being able to tackle running backs. Its him not being able to take on blockers in the run game. 

Quote:He's a +9.0 the last 4 weeks according to PFF, with a positive grade against the run over the span. Keep him on the field and let him learn. Absolutely no reason not to at this point of the season. Hopefully the coaching staff doesn't pull a Laroy Reynolds with him.
He's rating high because they are putting him in situations where he can be successful. If they put him out there in situations where his size becomes a disadvantage, that rating goes down the tubes.

It's his size not his lack of experience that is holding him back right now and he's not going to gain 20 lbs by taking more snaps.
Because he weighs 220 lbs., which is the equivalent of a bendy straw for starting linebackers. Small, fast linebackers work in Madden; in real life, a linebacker that small can't disengage from blockers and will struggle to bring down bigger offensive skill players. Telvin needs some muscle and some experience before he becomes a real option on the weak side. For now, the nickel role fits him perfectly.

Pages: 1 2 3 4