Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles vs Luck as Rookies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
So just a little statistical comparison so far. I think we can all agree Luck was surrounded by far more talent than Bortles has been (Reggie Wayne alone)

Bortles so far:

YPA: 6.9

TD's: 8

Ints:  14

YPG: 256.13

Rating: 72.2

Luck:

YPA: 7.0

TD's: 23

Ints: 18

YPG: 275.1

Rating: 76.5

I wonder what it would look like if they swapped teammates...
i think it would make more sense to compare them through Luck's first 8 starts since that is where Bortles is at, rather than Lucks total stats.

That's true but I can't be bothered
Luck through 8 starts:

Passing yards: 2404 

YPG: 300.5

Completion percentage: 57% (56.9 to be exact)

YPA: 7.1 

TDs: 10

INTs: 8

Rushing yards: 148

Should be noted that in his 8th start Luck threw for 433 yards, so up to week 7 he was at 1971 yards. Just a step ahead of Bortles. Overall Bortles compares pretty favorably to Luck. Luck had more ypg and total yards but Bortles makes up for that with completion percentage, which is 6 percentage points higher. Their ypa attempt are virtually identical, with Luck just .2 ahead. Luck also only had 2 more TDs. Bortles has far more rushing yards at 204 already. The difference obviously is in the win column and the number of INTs. Much like Peyton, Luck came on later in the season in terms of TD production. Will be interesting to see if Bortles does the same.

But no guys Blake is a bust.... gimme a break. He's gonna be a stud.
Also according to this link Luck had 14 dropped interceptions as people like to talk about Bottles decision making.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-an...tions-2012

Luck was also supposedly the most pro ready qb for a long time and had all pre season reps unlike Bortles.
Should also be noted that luck had way more talent around him offensively than Bortles does. Reggie Wayne alone makes a big difference. Not to mention having his college TE Coby Fleener to throw to, while Bortles pretty much doesn't have a tight end ever. Luck had two major security blankets, the closest thing Bortles has to a consistent security blanket right now is A-Rob. 

Bortles vs. Luck is really what it's all about. I don't think a comparison is really possible given the rather extreme variables, but just visually I'd tip my hat pretty heavily to Luck. He is just an amazing athlete and competitor, and I expect him to win multiple Superbowls.

For us it will be about the competition between the two. Can BB aspire to surpass one of the finest QB's to come along in 15 years? I do think he he has the skillset to give Luck a run for his money if other pieces fall into place. Luck really is the target for our entire franchise. Either we find a way to at least split with the Colts year after year, or else we face the uphill struggle of finding our way to the tournament as a wildcard at best. The best of the best recognize the huge importance of homefield advantage in the playoffs, and that is what we should aspire to. Of course, we are not even close right now, and likely are years away (likely even from the playoffs).

I want the Jaguars to win the Superbowl. No other achievement matters to me as a fan.

Luck is the target. We must build our team to defeat him and whoever else is around him. Until we achieve that much, the rest of the conversation about a championship is a waste of time.
i think we have a better owner and GM than the Colts. I think Gus is building a better defense than what the Colts have to offer. I think our running game is looking more viable for the long term than the Colts right now. I think our receiver corp, talent and depth wise, is looking better than the Colts for the long term. It's just a matter of if we have the right coaching staff, if we can get the O-Line to where it needs to be, and if Bortles can put it all together by year 3. I just hope the Colts don't end up getting Todd Gurley or Melvin Gordon somehow this year.

I think Bortles will have himself a highly effeciemt breakout game, pull his numbers (TD/Int) ratio closer to 1:1 by seasons end (more like 18 TDS 20 Ints). I really feel this way. He gets Marcedes back, he'll be coming off a bye week, he has a run game to set up the play action. I think he'lol look good in these last 6 games
I think it's a bunch of homers in here.
What's all this Bortles vs Luck vs Peyton??? I'd say more like Bortles vs Eli.
Quote:What's all this Bortles vs Luck vs Peyton??? I'd say more like Bortles vs Eli.

How about we just stick with Bortles vs the rest of his own class for now?
Luck was also the once-in-a-generation qb prospect that was way more nfl ready. I'm not worried about bortles. I liked the improvement I saw against dallas. He made better decisions, and he made some tight window throws. His raw ability is elite, now he just needs to work on his mechanics and stay consistent with the decision making.
Quote:How about we just stick with Bortles vs the rest of his own class for now?
Well lets compare them then and what do you think of him compare to the rest of his class? 
Quote:Well lets compare them then and what do you think of him compare to the rest of his class? 

Some here actually prefer Derek Carr and his 5.6 YPA  :teehee:
Quote:Well lets compare them then and what do you think of him compare to the rest of his class? 

The graphic they showed on Sunday comparing him to the other 3 QBs (TB, Carr, and Mettenberger(?)) showed that he was more prolific in yards, percentage, and TDs (Carr had more because of the 4 TD game but also has more starts). All good things. He's trailing in INTs and wins. I'd say that for a guy who wasn't supposed to be starting at all and playing with 5 other rookies he's doing pretty well against the field.
Quote:Some here actually prefer Derek Carr and his 5.6 YPA  :teehee:
Is JW a oakland fan also? 

• Seriously tho, you can see the ceiling on Carr, and its nothing like Bortles, Carr is making better decisions THIS season, but he is a limited QB. Bortles will almost certainly be better
Quote: 

Is JW a oakland fan also? 

• Seriously tho, you can see the ceiling on Carr, and its nothing like Bortles, Carr is making better decisions THIS season, but he is a limited QB. Bortles will almost certainly be better

She hates the Raiders because they play in the division with her true loves.
Quote:Is JW a oakland fan also?
Carr doesn't ever look like moving down the field. It's like watching the Henne/Gabbert era.

Bortles is trying to win and Carr is trying not to lose, both have a lack of quality players around them
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5