Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles was bad...but.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
It was his worst game. However, the question arises that we coulda won with Henne.

Maybe. The D was ferocious.

But, the Browns played a total different D with Bortles vs Henne. Although it didn't seem to matter, it does in a way.

Blake has to get his INTs down. He wasn't an INT machine in college, so it's fixable.

His competitiveness, toughness and accountability to himself will make him a good QB.

Gus said 24 hour revelry. Screw you Gus. We are doing the rest of the week. We needed it. A good Dawg pounding.

Someone wrote in today's Monday morning QB....hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel is the rear end of the train. Let's hope.

Bring on the Fish. They're on the same roll the Browns were.
People can say Bortles was bad yesterday and yeah, theres truth in that.....

That said, he also orchestrated the 80+ yard winning TD drive and the timing of that TD drive was crucial right on the heels of the big 4th down stop on the Browns HC's awful decision to not kick the FG. 

Bortles also keeps more drives going with first downs gained with his feet than Henne ever would. 

The D was playing pretty awesome but they're also getting some rest with the new O staying on the field longer. 

He was bad but is still light years ahead of Henne.

Bortles should have never sat the bench this year.... thats for sure.

Quote:People can say Bortles was bad yesterday and yeah, theres truth in that.....

That said, he also orchestrated the 80+ yard winning TD drive and the timing of that TD drive was crucial right on the heels of the big 4th down stop on the Browns HC's awful decision to not kick the FG. 

Bortles also keeps more drives going with first downs gained with his feet than Henne ever would. 
the thing about that drive, was it seemed like it was the only drive all game we went uptempo, no huddle, and got in a rhythm. it's not like we weren't getting first downs, so you have to wonder why we didn't try that on a couple more drives. he seems much more comfortable in the no huddle offense at this point. seems to play a lot more freely, gets out of the pocket and keeps his eyes down the field. i hope we go no huddle more often in the future, but i do understand the concern the coaching staff would have with so many young players and possibly have guys running the wrong routes.
Quote:It was his worst game. However, the question arises that we coulda won with Henne.

But, the Browns played a total different D with Bortles vs Henne. Although it didn't seem to matter, it does in a way.

Blake has to get his INTs down. He wasn't an INT machine in college, so it's fixable.

His competitiveness, toughness and accountability to himself will make him a good QB.

Gus said 24 hour revelry. Screw you Gus. We are doing the rest of the week. We needed it. A good Dawg pounding.

Someone wrote in today's Monday morning QB....hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel is the rear end of the train. Let's hope.

The browns would've definitely defended differently against Henne than Bortles. With Bortles, you've got to at least be concerned with him throwing 10+ yards down the field; but with Henne, you can pretty much commit to stopping the run as he has seldom shown any inclination to go 'downtown' with the ball. In other words, with Henne at quarterback, the browns could run the same defense on us that we were against them. Winner? Browns.
Bad day overall, but I like that he stays aggressive even when it back fires on him.  He will learn to limit those mistakes.

Quote:He was bad but is still light years ahead of Henne.

Bortles should have never sat the bench this year.... thats for sure.

I don't know about that. Yes, defenses are playing us differently with Blake and it is helping our offense overall. However, we're only a few starts in to Blake's career and I'm starting to see some of his old habits creep up in his game again. I'm not talking about the rookie decision making mistakes...that's understandable.

I'm talking about making sure his mechanics are set when throwing the ball. With the kind of pressure he's getting and him trying to make a play (usually improvising), I'm seeing him not set his feet as much as he did early on. We have two(?) games before the bye. I hope the coaches re-emphasize his mechanics during the off-week.
I personally don't think they would have won with Henne. Even if Bortles played poorly, his presence on the field alone gives a spark to a seemingly dead motor. Sometimes a spark is all ya need. I think Henne on the field brings a sort of "doom and gloom" to the moral of the team from what I've seen. So, in my opinion, Henne playing yesterday, would have equaled a loss.. 

Quote:It was his worst game. However, the question arises that we coulda won with Henne.

What I took from the game is that they feared Blake Bortles arm so the Browns execllent DBs covered well not fearing a running game from the Jaguars.  The entire defensive scheme was focused on stopping Blake from throwing.. lots of blitzs and coverage...

Then Blake started to run which changed the game plan a bit for the Browns... they had to worry about him rushing up from the pocket with the lbs... and the read running plays allowed the running backs (D-Rob) to rush to the outside as the Lbs were split...

The rookie Wrs werent matched up well against the young but experinced DBs of the Browns so the running game & the Jaguars ability to stop the run which is the browns key to success on Offense lead to the victory.

Telvin Smith was a huge difference maker in this game, not just his int, or the other pass he almost intercepted.. .not the forced fumble he caused.. but all the other plays you may not have noticed that also helped the Jaguars Defense look so good..

he was a star much like how hurns was in week 1 opener... it let the league know that they have to watch out for this guy.
Cannon
Bortles is young and is being asked to make plays with a young team around him, I actually expect more game like this.  But I also cant wait to see this team reap the benefits in a year or two because of this.

The team responds better with Bortles in the game, no doubt. It's also no doubt Bortles is much more talented than Henne.

To be fair, Henne did beat the Browns in Cleveland. So, there's that.
Bortles made mistakes, but he didn't let them get to him.  Keep in mind that Peyton Manning in his prime once threw 6 interceptions.  That's not his rookie year, that's his prime.  I'm not comparing him to Manning here.  I'm saying if even one of the greatest QB's of all time can have that kind of day, then there's no reason to expect our QB not to.  I have a feeling once our WR's get it together, we'll see more TD's and fewer INT's from Bortles.  

Honestly the one play where I thought Bortles really made a bad rookie mistake was the INT that was in front of Cecil.  There was enough room for Bortles to tuck it and run.  The DB was committed to covering Cecil so Bortles probably would have gotten down pretty close to the goal line, if not scored.

One of the other ones somebody got a hand on the ball at the Dline.

But he had something that he hasn't had yet this season: a running game.  Just how much pressure that took off of him is crazy.  

Quote:Bad day overall, but I like that he stays aggressive even when it back fires on him.  He will learn to limit those mistakes.

Agree.  Bad days happen with rookies, and are to be expected.  Yet he's got the "bounce back" you need, the mental toughness you want in a special QB.

Saw a shot from the sidelines after the Robinson rush TD that looked like him apologizing to the defensive players like Clemons, Marks and Bryant. They just patted him on the back.....Thought that was cool
Quote:the thing about that drive, was it seemed like it was the only drive all game we went uptempo, no huddle, and got in a rhythm. it's not like we weren't getting first downs, so you have to wonder why we didn't try that on a couple more drives. he seems much more comfortable in the no huddle offense at this point. seems to play a lot more freely, gets out of the pocket and keeps his eyes down the field. 

I agree totally
Bortles has a release that is a bit windy uppy.... seems to be something fans of other teams have made fun of

Quote:Honestly the one play where I thought Bortles really made a bad rookie mistake was the INT that was in front of Cecil.  There was enough room for Bortles to tuck it and run.  The DB was committed to covering Cecil so Bortles probably would have gotten down pretty close to the goal line, if not scored.

I agree with this. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4