Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Youth on Offense
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
How young is our current starting 11 on offense?   This should give you some perspective.

chargers - 22, 29, 29, 28,26, 23, 34,  24, 33, 32,26

avg - 27.8

<div> 
steelers- 26,25,28,25 , 24,26, 31, 25, 22, 32,23 

avg  - 26.1

</div>

<div>jaguars - 22, 23, 27, 22, 22,23, 27,22, 22, 27, 28   (Hurns and Robinson currently starting WRs)

avg - 24.1

I think I'll wait till a few of these guys get a season under their belts before I run about calling for Caldwell's head. 

He said he'd build through the draft and supplement with FA.  He's doing exactly that.  There is no instant gratification. 

</div>

But but but... reasons!!!

It's an excuse.  They did decide to do it this way, so criticism is fair.  Is it the best way?  Time will tell.  Too early, but they better start turning it around before they get run out of here. 

At least they hopefully hit on Bortles.  That keeps continuity with the front office longer than hitting on anything else.

Quote:It's an excuse.  

It's a reason. 
A better way to look at it is include all offensive players because of injuries and depth chart changes throughout the season.

I would also like to see the number of years a player has been in the NFL because not all players are 22 when they are drafted or join teams as UDFAs.

Quote: 

How young is our current starting 11 on offense?   This should give you some perspective.

chargers - 22, 29, 29, 28,26, 23, 34,  24, 33, 32,26

<div style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Noteworthy-Light';font-size:15px;">avg - 27.8

<div> 
steelers- 26,25,28,25 , 24,26, 31, 25, 22, 32,23 

avg  - 26.1

</div>

<div>jaguars - 22, 23, 27, 22, 22,23, 27,22, 22, 27, 28   (Hurns and Robinson currently starting WRs)

avg - 24.1

I think I'll wait till a few of these guys get a season under their belts before I run about calling for Caldwell's head. 

He said he'd build through the draft and supplement with FA.  He's doing exactly that.  There is no instant gratification. 

</div>

</div>
Just because he did that does not make it right.  You don't leave your team void of talent and call that a right move.  A GM's job is to put a competitive team on the field.  He has not done that.

Just because an action is taken does not make it the right one.
Quote:Just because he did that does not make it right.  You don't leave your team void of talent and call that a right move.  A GM's job is to put a competitive team on the field.  He has not done that.

That's called building through the draft, not constantly signing 33 year old FAs.  
Quote:Just because he did that does not make it right.  You don't leave your team void of talent and call that a right move.  A GM's job is to put a competitive team on the field.  He has not done that.

Many believe it's the way to build a sustainable long term winning franchise.  I'm one of them.  The waiting sucks - and it would be nice if a few of these FA signings would have contributed more in the mean time - but I like being loaded up with youth and not spending wildly in FA. 

To each his own I suppose.  
Raiders built through FA signings and i dare to say as bad as we are they are a lot worst. :teehee:

instant gratification = bortles learning and WR with promise!
Quote:Raiders built through FA signings and i dare to say as bad as we are they are a lot worst. :teehee:
agree completely... but if u use fa properly, it can win superbowls...IMO broncos will soon be a example of this.
Quote:Raiders built through FA signings and i dare to say as bad as we are they are a lot worst. :teehee:

Is this a fact?
Quote:Is this a fact?
In a few categories it is. Of course, stats…. you know. 

The raiders have scored a whopping total of 51 points.  (Jags - 67)
Quote:In a few categories it is. Of course, stats…. you know. 

The raiders have scored a whopping total of 51 points.  (Jags - 67)

Jags have played 1 more game though.  We're almost tied in PPG.
Quote:Jags have played 1 more game though.  We're almost tied in PPG.

LOL. You're right.  12ppg and  13ppg. 

I hope we can get that average up to 20 by the end of the year.
Quote:Jags have played 1 more game though. We're almost tied in PPG.

Before we played this week Oakland still had the worst offense pretty much across the board. Bortles almost has more yards already than Carr has in 4 games. We would beat Oakland.

I like the idea of the youth movement as well. And I think it's best for the long term. Granted, it comes with this period of growing pains. But once we develop a team, then you use FA to fill a spot here or there. Teams built on FA usually don't amount to much.

Not to mention, by doing it this way, once we do have a roster of talented young players, we can groom the new rookies behind them so they don't have to jump right in like we're seeing now. It creates a lasting design of success. The interim time, gets a little brutal. But we are slowly getting better.
Quote:Raiders built through FA signings and I dare to say as bad as we are they are a lot worst.

You know why? Because they are the oldest team in the NFL. Many of those free agents are over the hill like MJD.

Oh yes, and they also don't have a head coach because the crappy Dolphins blew them out.

At this point, can we really say that the majority of the issues we're seeing on the field is due to a lack of talent or a lack of experience?

I, for one, do not know...I don't think any of us do and I think that is the fundamental point behind NYC's post. Still, I think a case can be made of it being a combination of both but I think it skews towards an experience deficiency over a talent deficiency. I feel we have plenty of offensive talent in the grand scheme of things. These guys just have to get the reps. Defensively, I think it's more lack of talent but there are some reasons for hope along the D-Line and even in the secondary with Cyprien and McCray if the latter can build upon yesterday's performance.
You remember when we drafted like we were some rushing defensive ends away from the superbowl?  How did that plan work?  You remember when we overpaid for free agents?  How did that work?  Just because some of the players we didn't resign had some gas and good play left in the tank, didn't mean they would work out for this team.

Smith is the only one I feel bad about losing.  Sure it ticks me off when Mincey or Knighton make plays, but do you really think they would have put up with playing for Gus and our current coaches?

Patience sucks.

Quote:Before we played this week Oakland still had the worst offense pretty much across the board. Bortles almost has more yards already than Carr has in 4 games. We would beat Oakland.

I like the idea of the youth movement as well. And I think it's best for the long term. Granted, it comes with this period of growing pains. But once we develop a team, then you use FA to fill a spot here or there. Teams built on FA usually don't amount to much.

Not to mention, by doing it this way, once we do have a roster of talented young players, we can groom the new rookies behind them so they don't have to jump right in like we're seeing now. It creates a lasting design of success. The interim time, gets a little brutal. But we are slowly getting better.

I will never understand why people cannot grasp this concept. It should be obvious to everyone talent and experience don't mean the same thing.

David Caldwell explained when he got the job he wants to build a team from scratch to create lasting success, admitting there will be growing pains along the way. So why  does anybody think just because we are seeing growing pains, his plan does not work?
Pages: 1 2 3