Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Rushing issues. Whats the problem? Oline talent, scheme, or RB talent?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So what in your opinion is the main problem with our rushing game? Is it Jedd Fisch's new zone blocking scheme? Is it simply depleting O-line talent? Or our RB talent? Or even our passing game failures which is causing opposing defenses to load the box every down.

For me, I think we have to use the process of elimination here. Toby Gerhart was extremely successful in Minnesota so that kinda takes out RB talent. During the first half of the season opener, Chad Henne turned into Dr. Jekyll and made some great long throws. Our running game didn't exactly do much even during that small period of passing success. Check that one off. So we're down to players or plays. Oline talent vs. Oline scheme.

The Zone blocking scheme traditionally favors pass blocking more than run blocking. Its designed to make the QB either roll out or step up within 2-3 seconds of the snap since the O-line is blocking an area not necessarily a player. In my opinion, It fully guarantee's a QB to have atleast 2-3 everytime unless an Olinemen gets manhandled because a defensive linemen is always having to encounter an Olinemen no matter where he goes. The running aspect gets hurt because the Olinemen typically still stay to their zone unless the whole line shifts but it gives fewer "holes" to run through and allows opposing linebackers to fill the few holes you actually have.

As far as Oline talent, Outside we have Joeckel, Paztor, and bradfield. Paztor is injured. Bradfield is just as Dr. Jekyll/Mr hyde as Henne. Joeckel however seems to be doing his job the most consistently. Inside, We got Beadles, Linder, and Mclendon. Linder and Mclendon are struggling bad. Linder is still a rookie and Mclendon is just absolutely terrible. Beadles is about as average as we get.

In conclusion, I'd say Zone blocking is 50% of the issue, Oline talent is 40%, and 10% is our lack of accurate downfield passing.
All of the above and HC and coordinator.

Why can't I pick everything.  Either that or corn.

Quote:All of the above and HC and coordinator.

You're a stellar new poster.
Quote:Why can't I pick everything.  Either that or corn.

Yes, All of those are issues hurting the running game but the poll question is, What is the MAIN problem?
I picked talent.  But that's 1a.  I feel the others are 1b, 1c, and 1d.  SERENITY NOW!

Quote:Yes, All of those are issues hurting the running game but the poll question is, What is the MAIN problem?
Quote:Yes, All of those are issues hurting the running game but the poll question is, What is the MAIN problem?

It could be the fans.  Instead of supporting the Jags, we are bashing them.  It's hurting the players feelings and it shows in the performance.  We must be that 12th fan like in Seattle.
Talent. List the names of the Jags o-line starters who would start on other teams.

Quote:Talent. List the names of the Jags o-line starters who would start on other teams.
None including the second pick in the draft last year.
All the above>
Quote:It could be the fans.  Instead of supporting the Jags, we are bashing them.  It's hurting the players feelings and it shows in the performance.  We must be that 12th fan like in Seattle.

Never, EVER blame the fans.  We pay to watch this crap.  They get paid.  boo frigidy hoo.  We've won 11 games in the last 3+ years.  No fan base wouldn't be like us in the same situation.  Seattle's 12th man is only like that because they are good.
I would pick OC, but it's not listed...

Who runs a bruiser around the end?
a little bit of OL talent

most of it is QB/playcalling

The Oline needs serious help when 13 sacks occured and your starting running back averages 2.0 over the course of the first two games of the season.  The OLine is not the sole problem, as a great Running Back will still find a way to run at least on a few plays & (a few times the blocking was decent and still Toby didnt get much on the plays).

O-line talent/ Henne. I'm not impressed by Gerhart, but he was much more effective in Minnesota. There's gotta be a reason. Reason I say Henne is because the defense isn't scared of him throwing. Yesterday they blitzed the majority of the time, instead of completing some short throws he was like a deer in the headlights. Gotta make em pay for sending everyone and Henne obviously cant
Quote:O-line talent/ Henne. I'm not impressed by Gerhart, but he was much more effective in Minnesota. There's gotta be a reason. Reason I say Henne is because the defense isn't scared of him throwing. Yesterday they blitzed the majority of the time, instead of completing some short throws he was like a deer in the headlights. Gotta make em pay for sending everyone and Henne obviously cant

Thats where bortles quick releases/drops will cut the sacks in half and put the defense back a little bit. It will help a little but not enough as next offseason is where it can be permanently fixed. Next year might be the first year where I cheer for us to take a center in the first round

Quote:None including the second pick in the draft last year.
Lol, you're clueless.
ZBS needs to go

Absolutely its everybody, that lost this game and last weeks game.  I would like to know what is said during half-time and on the way home. " Besides we are doing the right things and still in the process." I guess will find out at 12:45 today what changes are going to be made.

Quote:ZBS needs to go

Or atleast modified. I like the idea of setting up the pass moreso than the run but its too far skewed with this particular iteration. ZBS simply requires way more talent to run efficiently than man blocking. I'd like to see a gap scheme maybe next season if we don't overhaul the inside personnel

Also consider this, The seahawks, Broncos, Steelers, Ravens, eagles, and saints all use zone blocking but as I understand it, The Jags use a different version of ZBS and that might be the problem.

Pages: 1 2 3