Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Mallett to the Texans
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Houston has traded a conditional 7th in 2016 to the Patriots for the services of Ryan Mallett. I don't have an opinion on the guy, but he can't be any worse then our trio of QB's have shown us so far.

If he doesn't throw a pick six in back to back games, it's an upgrade from 2013.
Certainly worth the pick.
oh no im scared

Quote:If he doesn't throw a pick six in back to back games, it's an upgrade from 2013.
You got that right.
Quote:Certainly worth the pick.
A 7th/6th is pretty cheap. Low risk/high reward. I'm excited to see what the kid has, lord knows he has sat long enough.
Wait for it...

I can't wait to see this guy fail. He blows.
Quote:A 7th/6th is pretty cheap. Low risk/high reward. I'm excited to see what the kid has, lord knows he has sat long enough.

Can't argue with that. Wasn't a high round pick. Not even a mid round.

The Texans QB situation is pretty bad. I don't think mallett is ever going to be a franchise guy in this league but for a 7th or 6th... Even if it buys you guys 2 more wins its worth it.

It at least gives fans and players the impression that they're trying to fix it.
Quote:Can't argue with that. Wasn't a high round pick. Not even a mid round.

The Texans QB situation is pretty bad. I don't think mallett is ever going to be a franchise guy in this league but for a 7th or 6th... Even if it buys you guys 2 more wins its worth it.

It at least gives fans and players the impression that they're trying to fix it.

We mainly acquired Mallett because O'Brien wanted a somewhat competent backup to come in in case Fitzpatrick gets injured or fails miserably, and he didn't feel like Keenum could be counted on.

I'm guessing he still is hoping Savage becomes the long term answer though.
Definitely worth the low pick out of desperation, who knows you may strike lucky. Doesn't seem NE were that impressed with his play though...
Why? They could've had him for nothing ... Just wait another day or two. O well
How much will the texans regret not taking Bortles?

Maybe they think they can get something out of him.  Thing that confuses me though is:

A)  The risk of him being traded elsewhere was obviously non existent, otherwise, why would a conditional 7th round pick in a few years had been enough

B} If he was waived, doesn't Houston have first claim on waivers?

Quote:Maybe they think they can get something out of him.  Thing that confuses me though is:

A)  The risk of him being traded elsewhere was obviously non existent, otherwise, why would a conditional 7th round pick in a few years had been enough

Yes and yes. This stinks of desperation.

The freefall of the texans reminds me of the freefall of the Jaguars after the 2007 season.
Quote:A)  The risk of him being traded elsewhere was obviously non existent, otherwise, why would a conditional 7th round pick in a few years had been enough
Exactly, if they were only willing to offer that, would they really care if they "missed out" on him?

On the other hand, the only way this is a loss for them is if they only get enough production out of him to lose the 7th rounder. Really not much risk at all.

One thing is for sure, it does tell me that they're the most QB desperate team in the league, not even the Raiders wanted him.

Quote:Maybe they think they can get something out of him.  Thing that confuses me though is:

I believe that I read somewhere that the Cowboys were also in talks with the Patriots regarding Mallet.

Considering the Texans' roster, it isn't a bad move.  He is a potential upgrade to Case Keenum.
Quote:I believe that I read somewhere that the Cowboys were also in talks with the Patriots regarding Mallet.

Considering the Texans' roster, it isn't a bad move. He is a potential upgrade to Case Keenum.

The report of Dallas interest has been refuted.
Quote:The report of Dallas interest has been refuted.

LOL the losing side always denies they had interest. 
Quote:The report of Dallas interest has been refuted.

Not questioning you, but I haven't seen that.  Can you post a link?
Considering the price Mallet went for it seems ridiculous to believe any other team in the league had any real interest. A conditional seventh rounder in two years is as close to nothing as a trade's value can be.

Seems more likely that the patriots dug their heels in, said to the texans "we'll keep him on the team for a year before we release him if you want him" and the texans blinked.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12