Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 86 yard touchdown run
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
What was your take on the breakdown?

I saw marks over commit to the weak side, which took him out of the play. Then in the secondary Cyprien followed suit and went into the 'pile of bodies' on the weak side leaving a monster hole for Bush to explode through. Granted Guy almost caught up with bush, no defensive player could catch him.

Looks like gratz got blocked very well by Ebron the rookie tight end.
My initial concern and question was....

"Are you telling me nobody on our defense can catch 29 year old Reggie Bush?"

Quote:My initial concern and question was....

"Are you telling me nobody on our defense can catch 29 year old Reggie Bush?"
he may be 29 but that man is in phenomenal shape and still really really fast
Cyprien with the blunder.

I feel like Cyp read that run terribly, but overall backside containment was just not there for whatever the reason may be
The last man chasing him was Alan Ball...who is 29

Quote:he may be 29 but that man is in phenomenal shape and still really really fast

I think a large part of that is the work ethic of Reggie Bush and that wasn't a bell cow RB most of his career.   When a RB gets to 29,  one usually starts to think the skills can start diminishing.    This game went a long way in demonstrating that Bush should be at his peak at least for the 2014 season.    In addition to the 86 yard TD run,  he had an impressive 24 yard run that was called back by a holding penalty on TE Brandon Pettigrew.
I wouldn't be surprised if Gratz was in on that screw up too. 

Why does anyone care if Bush is 29? The defense's job does not change for certain players because of how old they are. Age is only a number for guys like Bush, who is still a very good RB.

What does matter is how we messed up. Did the Lions do something to confuse everybody before Bush crossed the LOS? It could have been a misdirection play.

Quote:Cyprien with the blunder.

From a Jaguars perspective,  the way I would look at the mistake is it's better to happen in the 3rd pre-season game than in the 3rd regular season game.   It's a learning tool,  much like Andre Branch's off the charts interception is a learning tool for Matthew Stafford.
Not discounting anything Bush has done, but holding typically leads to impressive runs.

Quote:Why does anyone care if Bush is 29? The defense's job does not change for certain players because of how old they are. Age is only a number for guys like Bush, who is still a very good RB.

What does matter is how we messed up. Did the Lions do something to confuse everybody before Bush crossed the LOS? It could have been a misdirection play.

From what I recall,  it was great execution by the Lions Offense,  especially by Reggie Bush,  Eric Ebron,  and WR Kevin Ogletree.   Overagressiveness likely contributed to one or two Jaguars players being out of position.    It's something that certainly is correctable for the Jaguars Defensive player (s ) involved.
Quote:From a Jaguars perspective,  the way I would look at the mistake is it's better to happen in the 3rd pre-season game than in the 3rd regular season game.   It's a learning tool,  much like Andre Branch's off the charts interception is a learning tool for Matthew Stafford.
I think you are forgetting his immense disdain for both Cyprien and Gratz despite the fact that they will probably both be starting on this team 5 years from now.
if Cyp picks the right hole he blows bush up for a 2 yard loss.  I prefer LBs and DTs to blow up run plays though

Quote:Not discounting anything Bush has done, but holding typically leads to impressive runs.

True but I my comment was based more on the physical skills displayed on that run.    Even without the 86 yard TD run,   I would have felt good about Bush's performance based on the play called back and a run at the beginning of the game.  
Quote:I think you are forgetting his immense disdain for both Cyprien and Gratz despite the fact that they will probably both be starting on this team 5 years from now.

I think that people that are down on those two DB's now will probably be in their corner before this season is over.

Regarding Dwayne Gratz,  two things that impressed me about him in the Jaguars road games in Chicago and Detroit are his tackling and physical play.   He seems to be a good fit in Gus Bradley's Defense.   
Quote:True but I my comment was based more on the physical skills displayed on that run.    Even without the 86 yard TD run,   I would have felt good about Bush's performance based on the play called back and a run at the beginning of the game.  
was indeed a nice run.
Quote:was indeed a nice run.

With most starters playing very little in the 4th pre-season game,   this was the game for veterans like Reggie Bush to tune up for the regular season.   After what I saw from Bush,   I'm confident he's ready for the regular season.    I think Toby Gerhart fits the same category,  despite being a # 2 backup behind the great Adrian Peterson up until this season.  Gerhart didn't get much blocking help the other night but he's a load to bring down.    I can envision Gerhart getting at least 275 carries this season.
To me, it's Cyp. He's our "in the box" safety for a reason. Marks may have made a mistake, but had Cyp stayed disciplined, it would have been a what? 5-7 yard gain instead of a 89 yard touchdown. As our 8th man against the run, Cyprien simply can't gamble like that and allow the RB to run free. That's a big play for the offense majority of the time.

Guy took the bad angle.
Pages: 1 2 3 4