Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: People think they know better than Dave and Gus...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Why don't we let them judge when Bortles is ready to start instead of deciding they're wrong and he should be playing?

The majority of people on here when they drafted Blake didn't like the pick and a lot of people said we should taken Manziel or Bridgewater over him, we should have tried to trade down instead of picking him and saying he would be available late in the round if really wanted him. All of a sudden these people love Blake and are shouting from the rooftops that he should be starting.

Why don't we let Dave and Gus decide? They knew what they where doing when they picked Blake and they know what they are doing now. Bortles is the future of this franchise and if they feel it is better to not start him game 1 then I believe in that. They have a plan, this isn't Gene Smith we're talking about.

People like to get butt hurt over stuff. It happens. He'll start soon enough and then....championship.
I will let them decide then.

**puts telephone down **

Tongue

Just messin' with you.

Agreed, let the people who get paid to do this decide. Funny fighting over it, we have no say
Message board = different opinions
because we are the one's who pay to go see the games. may, just maybe, we don't want to watch chad freaking henne, when we have a better qb on the bench. 

Quote:because we are the one's who pay to go see the games. may, just maybe, we don't want to watch chad freaking henne, when we have a better qb on the bench.

Blah blah blah. He'll start, try to enjoy the process instead of whining about it.
I want to see Bortles start. I don't think I know better than Gus & Dave, because I still think they will start him. However if they dont start him I won't be writing anything negative about them because they have shown to have done a great job so far.

People are allowed to have opinions. If Dave and Gus would say that they want Blake to sit to develop better habits is one thing. But sitting him and insisting Chad gives them a better chance to win is completely baffling. Its obvious Blake is the better QB right now. Thats the only frustrating thing. 

Quote:Blah blah blah. He'll start, try to enjoy the process instead of whining about it.

Typical
We are on a message board where opinions are welcome. If we just agreed with everything it'd be boring here.
Gus preaches competition. And Bortles has severely outplayed Henne during the preseason.

I was all for letting Bortles start the season on bench because I thought he was really raw. But he has surpassed my expectations by 1000%.

He has made nearly every throw in the book already that Henne can only complete on Maddon. Down the seam between a corner and safety, a corner route between a corner and safety, skinny post, etc. He's even audibled twice that turned into big gains. What else does he have to do to prove he is better? Footwork? Practice can only do so much, let him learn in the games.

Plus, if he turns out to be as good as he looks he will be, we need to get as much production and experience from him as we can while he is on his rookie contract.
Why don't we start 7 or 8 more threads about this.
We dont know what Gus Bradley knows at this point because he's only a 4-12 head coach. They're basically saying the team isn't good right now and will be next year when we start Bortles. Well he better start getting into the playoffs next year or begin looking for a defensive cordinator job.

Caldwell on the other hand has done a good job acquiring talent thru the draft and free agency while keeping the books clean. I have no problem with him it's the head coach who's my gripe with concerning Blake. To say they're trying to win this year w/o putting the best qb out there is a lie. Henne will look a mess game one and we'll have to sit thru 16 of these stinkers. Even if they bring in Blake later in the year we would miss out on some games we loss earlier because of Henne hurting our chances to make a playoff run.
In watching the Jaguars pre-season games against the Bears and Lions,   I believe that Blake Bortles would give the Jaguars the best chance of winning regular season games.   However,  the Jaguars Offensive Line is just not settled enough at this time for the team brass to feel comfortable with putting Bortles out there in a regular season setting.    The rest of the Jaguars team from a position unit standpoint looks vastly improved.   Yet,  at this point in time,  the Jaguars don't have even one Offensive Lineman that's playing to a level that the front office and coaches can be comfortable with.   Of course this will gradually change.   But why risk injury with Bortles and him developing bad habits when someone like Chad Henne can run the Offense in this transition period?   

Even more than the Jaguars Offensive Line in general,   the Center position looks like the most unsettled position on the team.  It's not a good formula going with a Center that's learning and/ or struggling and a rookie QB,  regardless of him being advanced for a rookie QB.

Quote:Blah blah blah. He'll start, try to enjoy the process instead of whining about it.
enjoy the process of henne? no thanks.
I like Bortles, and believe him to be a special talent with a real chance of being the QB Jaguar fans have longed for. That said, as well as he played against Detroit, I saw two would-be interceptions that were dropped, balls that simply should not have been thrown.

He's almost ready, but not quite. There really is no rush.

Quote:In watching the Jaguars pre-season games against the Bears and Lions,   I believe that Blake Bortles would give the Jaguars the best chance of winning regular season games.   However,  the Jaguars Offensive Line is just not settled enough at this time for the team brass to feel comfortable with putting Bortles out there in a regular season setting.    The rest of the Jaguars team from a position unit standpoint looks vastly improved.   Yet,  at this point in time,  the Jaguars don't have even one Offensive Lineman that's playing to a level that the front office and coaches can be comfortable with.   Of course this will gradually change.   But why risk injury with Bortles and him developing bad habits when someone like Chad Henne can run the Offense in this transition period?   

Even more than the Jaguars Offensive Line in general,   the Center position looks like the most unsettled position on the team.  It's not a good formula going with a Center that's learning and/ or struggling and a rookie QB,  regardless of him being advanced for a rookie QB.
and to add on to this (while they've played well) three of our receivers that are likely gonna see extensive action are all rookies and they are without a doubt gonna have their struggles too.
Quote:I like Bortles, and believe him to be a special talent with a real chance of being the QB Jaguar fans have longed for. That said, as well as he played against Detroit, I saw two would-be interceptions that were dropped, balls that simply should not have been thrown.

He's almost ready, but not quite. There really is no rush.
3 if you can't the one where he hung Hurns out to try and it was almost picked. Granted, regardless of when he starts he's gonna throw a few bad picks at least the Detroit game gives him good tape to review.
Quote:Why don't we let them judge when Bortles is ready to start instead of deciding they're wrong and he should be playing?

Quote:People are allowed to have opinions. If Dave and Gus would say that they want Blake to sit to develop better habits is one thing. But sitting him and insisting Chad gives them a better chance to win is completely baffling. Its obvious Blake is the better QB right now. Thats the only frustrating thing. 

Quote:Gus preaches competition. And Bortles has severely outplayed Henne during the preseason.

I think the frustration for most fans is simply not knowing where the goalpost is. It's not so much a question of criticizing their judgement,as it is frustration over the unknown criteria in the decision process.  I, for one, would love to hear an answer to one simple question;

What does Bortles need to do to start?

1)  Outperform Henne?

2)  Improve his footwork/mechanics?  If so, by how much?

3)  Sit for a predetermined amount of time regardless of how rapidly or to what extent he improves?
Pages: 1 2 3