Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Sexton: "Brewster played well"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
huh?

I mean, how low can your standards be?

Once again, the people on Jaguars.com are trying to force-feed the idea that Mike Brewster is a starting center in this league.

So far, he has been very poor. 

I guess he didn't have a bad snap, whoopdiee-doo.

Brewster got blown up on a couple of plays last night.  But, so did Joeckel.  I think the line as a whole needs time to develop.  Hopefully the Bowanko injury isn't significant. 

Quote:huh?

I mean, how low can your standards be?

Once again, the people on Jaguars.com are trying to force-feed the idea that Mike Brewster is a starting center in this league.

So far, he has been very poor. 

I guess he didn't have a bad snap, whoopdiee-doo.
First string offense moved the ball well. I thought the overall blocking was much improved from last week.

He had the one bad play that Gruden called him out for but other than that, I thought he held his own.
Quote:First string offense moved the ball well. I thought the overall blocking was much improved from last week.

He had the one bad play that Gruden called him out for but other than that, I thought he held his own.
It was hard not to call him out on that play since the camera was focused on him and he got manhandled. 
I heard on the radio broadcast last night during the game that Brewster did some good things springing some runs.  The bad thing that jumps out to everyone is the hold.

Jeff said Linder played lights out when he was in there at center.

Quote:It was hard not to call him out on that play since the camera was focused on him and he got manhandled. 
I just think people hear Gruden ripping into him and assume his entire game was bad.

The jags would have never moved the ball like they did if he were stinking up the joint.
He didn't hold up the point of attack. Had an atrocious whiff hold athat resulted in a sack. he also forgot the snap count which resulted in 4 lineman going off false starting sides on 3rd and reasonable. He not good.
Quote:I just think people hear Gruden ripping into him and assume his entire game was bad.

The jags would have never moved the ball like they did if he were stinking up the joint.
Well, he had a few low moments in the game.  I'll have to go back and watch it again, but hopefully he was more effective.  It's tough to ignore the glaring mistakes though.  The whiff and the false start call were both on him. 
Quote:He didn't hold up the point of attack. Had an atrocious whiff hold athat resulted in a sack. he also forgot the snap count which resulted in 4 lineman going off false starting sides on 3rd and reasonable. He not good.
He whiffed the block for the sack and caused the false start.

He held the point of attack fine. Besides the whiff, I don't think he allowed much pressure on Henne from up the middle. The jags could run up the middle too. It was running to the outside where they struggled.
Quote:He whiffed the block for the sack and caused the false start.

He held the point of attack fine. Besides the whiff, I don't think he allowed much pressure on Henne from up the middle. The jags could run up the middle too. It was running to the outside where they struggled.
Running up the middle was improved with the first team.  The stretch plays?  Not so much. 
Quote:Well, he had a few low moments in the game.  I'll have to go back and watch it again, but hopefully he was more effective.  It's tough to ignore the glaring mistakes though.  The whiff and the false start call were both on him. 
He is young and those are mental mistakes. They can be fixed.

I'm just glad to see he isn't getting bull rushed into the backfield like what happened with our interior line so much last year.
Quote:He is young and those are mental mistakes. They can be fixed.

I'm just glad to see he isn't getting bull rushed into the backfield like what happened with our interior line so much last year.

part of the reason he didn't get bull rushed is because on one play, he completely whiffed and let the defender to the QB without putting up a fight.

you can't be noticed for bad plays that frequently.  Overall, he has been terrible.

When he plays 3+ straight quarters without any obvious mistakes and does an average job at everything else, you may say he played like a capable center.  He hasn't even been close to that so far.  
Quote:part of the reason he didn't get bull rushed is because on one play, he completely whiffed and let the defender to the QB without putting up a fight.

you can't be noticed for bad plays that frequently.  Overall, he has been terrible.

When he plays 3+ straight quarters without any obvious mistakes and does an average job at everything else, you may say he played like a capable center.  He hasn't even been close to that so far.  
Playing 3+ quarters without mistakes is what pro bowlers do not young players in the preseason with their first full time gig at a position.

Being part of an interior line group that can create some holes up the middle and actually establish a pocket for our QB to throw from is actually refreshing to see.

He took about 40 snaps, made two obvious mistakes but was also part of three successful scoring drives. Could his play improve? Yes, of course, but it was far from terrible.
Quote:Playing 3+ quarters without mistakes is what pro bowlers do not young players in the preseason with their first full time gig at a position.

Being part of an interior line group that can create some holes up the middle and actually establish a pocket for our QB to throw from is actually refreshing to see.

He took about 40 snaps, made two obvious mistakes but was also part of three successful scoring drives. Could his play improve? Yes, of course, but it was far from terrible.

Nah, you could see 3+ quarters of play without glaring mistakes from guys like Pasztor.  It's not asking for the world.  

Ask yourself this question:  Is Mike Brewster the Center playing better than Mike Brewster the guard?  jaguars.com wanted us to believe that the position switch to his "natural position" would make him significantly more effective.

I didn't ask for 3 quarters of dominance.  I think he isn't starting material.  Never was, and probably never will (unless he improves significantly). He's playing like he played as a guard, which is poor.  Even when he played as a guard, we had some scoring drives, we had some successful drives and runs, but noone in their right mind would call him starting caliber.  

Quote:Nah, you could see 3+ quarters of play without glaring mistakes from guys like Pasztor.  It's not asking for the world.  

Ask yourself this question:  Is Mike Brewster the Center playing better than Mike Brewster the guard?  jaguars.com wanted us to believe that the position switch to his "natural position" would make him significantly more effective.

I didn't ask for 3 quarters of dominance.  I think he isn't starting material.  Never was, and probably never will (unless he improves significantly). He's playing like he played as a guard, which is poor.  Even when he played as a guard, we had some scoring drives, we had some successful drives and runs, but noone in their right mind would call him starting caliber.  
If you compare the protection the interior line has given the QB this preseason as compared to last season, there has been a huge improvement and he is 1/3rd of that improvement.

It is a new group of guys playing o line together. Mistakes from the young player with the most mental responsibilities of the group should be expected. My biggest concern was him getting man handled and so far he hasn't. That is something that's hard to overcome. The mental mistakes can easily be overcome.

I'm not expecting him to develop into a pro bowl center, but when he overcomes the mental mistakes I think he can become at least a serviceable guy.
I believe they are going to "set" the line very soon so that they have a consistent lineup and the guys have time to work together as a starting unit moving forward.

That being said...

From what I'm hearing, Linder is the best interior lineman on the team.  So, I wouldn't be surprised if they name him the starting C either just prior to or just after the next preseason game.

By the fourth preseason game, their lineup should be complete.  If not, that signals it might be a tough year for interior line.  It would be a blessing if Linder can grow into Meester's long term replacement.  I think now that he's gone, even the folks who wanted him out sooner can better appreciate what Meester has meant to this team for so long.  If we've got that guy in Linder, then we've got less to worry about re: interior line than it would appear on the surface.

The only way I see Brewster making the team is if Bowanko's injury is worse than it seems.

If Linder is truly the best interior lineman, then he should be named QB of the OL (and sooner than later.)

Sexton watched a different game....Brewster did not play well.  Too many mistakes.

Quote:part of the reason he didn't get bull rushed is because on one play, he completely whiffed and let the defender to the QB without putting up a fight.

you can't be noticed for bad plays that frequently. Overall, he has been terrible.

When he plays 3+ straight quarters without any obvious mistakes and does an average job at everything else, you may say he played like a capable center. He hasn't even been close to that so far.

I think calling him terrible after 2 preseason games is a little overkill. It's gonna take time for the line to jell. Right now, it's new.

He may be stopgap at OC anyway. One of the rooks will be snapping for us for years to come.
Quote:If you compare the protection the interior line has given the QB this preseason as compared to last season, there has been a huge improvement and he is 1/3rd of that improvement.

Sorry, but I completely disagree.  In one half of play yesterday, he allowed a sack and a holding call (on the same play) up the middle.  We opened no holes through the middle last game... and I think the one nice run up the middle by Gerhart had Brewster on the bench at the time (please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm just recalling at this time)
Quote:He didn't hold up the point of attack. Had an atrocious whiff hold athat resulted in a sack. he also forgot the snap count which resulted in 4 lineman going off false starting sides on 3rd and reasonable. He not good.
this ^
Pages: 1 2 3 4