Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: #95- going forward
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I haven't started a thread in over a year, not my style to try to draw attention to my posts, but I've been waiting week after week to see someone point out the job this guy has done.

When Roy went down I figured our run D would collapse, particularly with our youth at DE and my overestimation of Odricks impact. Odrick has proven to be unnecessary and hats off to Abry. He has played unbelievable IMO.

I really liked Roy's presence as a veteran leader, but nothing competes with youth and production. I'm totally down with bringing in more talent in the trenches through the draft, but credit where it's due, Jones has far exceeded my expectations.
Yeah hes good, wouldnt mind letting roy go and letting him stick around as our nt
Prisco was praising him on Twitter a couple of days ago.

Quote:I don't see Julius Thomas, Jared Odrick, Dan Skuta, or Davon House being brought back.

I hope we invest in offensive line early in the draft and run a more traditional 4-3 on defense with Abry Jones as the starting NT.
Abry Jones is showing flashes every time he plays, I think he can be a great player. I hope we keep him.

The run D took a hit in the immediate aftermath of Miller's departure. They played in Nashville and got overwhelmed. They recovered nicely. Abry Jones was a good jar on the shelf, ready to be taken down for consistent use.

I can't believe they paid Odrick as much for his returns. He brings nothing distinct to the line, sans excellence in neutral zone line up, and a personal foul or two.
Quote:I haven't started a thread in over a year, not my style to try to draw attention to my posts, but I've been waiting week after week to see someone point out the job this guy has done.

When Roy went down I figured our run D would collapse, particularly with our youth at DE and my overestimation of Odricks impact. Odrick has proven to be unnecessary and hats off to Abry. He has played unbelievable IMO.

I really liked Roy's presence as a veteran leader, but nothing competes with youth and production. I'm totally down with bringing in more talent in the trenches through the draft, but credit where it's due, Jones has far exceeded my expectations.
I completely agree with this.  I remember one of his first starts after Miller went down, and I remarked then he had more stand out plays.

I agree, Abry Jones played really well. He could definitely be a starter or at least part of the rotation even with the return of Miller. 

Jones has been getting a lot of love on 92.5 as well. Lageman loves that guy. He has flashed. Hopefully he can keep it up. 

Odrick fits at End if we go 3/4, he was brought to play pretty much that anyway. None of the current guys could be an effective nose in that set though, they're all 4/3 fits. We seem to have LB sized pass rushers and 4/3 sized tackles, I hope the new coach can sort this out.
Quote:Odrick fits at End if we go 3/4, he was brought to play pretty much that anyway. None of the current guys could be an effective nose in that set though, they're all 4/3 fits. We seem to have LB sized pass rushers and 4/3 sized tackles, I hope the new coach can sort this out.
So if we were to switch to a 3-4, you would envision Jones as a 3-4 DE?

That would seem to make sense to me.  But you are right in that we'd have a glut of 3-4 DEs and no true NT, IMO.

Jackson, Odrick, Jones, Marks (probably gone), Alualu (probably gone) all fit at 3-4 DE.  Of that group, Jones would be the best candidate to be a NT.  I'm still not sold on Miller being a true 3-4 NT.

At this point given the above, it would be tough for me to decide who would start at a 3-4 DE between a healthy Odrick and Jones.

Presumably, Jackson would start at the other DE spot. 

Quote:So if we were to switch to a 3-4, you would envision Jones as a 3-4 DE?

That would seem to make sense to me. But you are right in that we'd have a glut of 3-4 DEs and no true NT, IMO.

Jackson, Odrick, Jones, Marks (probably gone), Alualu (probably gone) all fit at 3-4 DE. Of that group, Jones would be the best candidate to be a NT. I'm still not sold on Miller being a true 3-4 NT.

At this point given the above, it would be tough for me to decide who would start at a 3-4 DE between a healthy Odrick and Jones.

Presumably, Jackson would start at the other DE spot.
I think Abry Jones could fit as a 3-4 NT.
Quote:I haven't started a thread in over a year, not my style to try to draw attention to my posts, but I've been waiting week after week to see someone point out the job this guy has done.

I completely agree.  Abry Jones is a good player. much better than I thought he was. 
Quote:Yeah hes good, wouldnt mind letting roy go and letting him stick around as our nt

Why let Roy go?   What's the point of that?   Roy is a good player.  

It's ironic, I hear people saying we lack veteran leadership, then I hear other people saying we should cut various veteran players.  
Always liked Abry Jones. Now that Roy Miller suffered an Achilles injury, which is always a career-altering injury, it'll be interesting to see how NT is addressed this offseason.
Jones has played well and is more than just the solid back-up and rotational guy I envisioned him as prior to the season. 

Roy Miller is under contract next year, and they'll keep him around if the team doctor's think he'll be able to contribute.  

Nothing wrong with carrying both of these guys on the roster if Roy can re-hab successfully. 
Quote:Jones has played well and is more than just the solid back-up and rotational guy I envisioned him as prior to the season. 

Roy Miller is under contract next year, and they'll keep him around if the team doctor's think he'll be able to contribute.  

Nothing wrong with carrying both of these guys on the roster if Roy can re-hab successfully. 

True, but 29 with an Achilles injury does not generally bode well for a big man.
Quote:True, but 29 with an Achilles injury does not generally bode well for a big man.
His re-hab - if successful - will be no small feet.

stoopid pun couldn't be helped

Quote:His re-hab - if successful - will be no small feet.

I was just happy I got to use bode in a sentence.
Quote:True, but 29 with an Achilles injury does not generally bode well for a big man.

Quote:His re-hab - if successful - will be no small feet.

I see what y'all did there. I am laughing.

Also, would someone please educate me as to what the difference is for a Nose Tackle between playing in a 30 front as opposed to a 40?
Pages: 1 2 3 4