Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: From Peter King's MMQB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Quote: 

DEFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK

Jalen Ramsey, cornerback, Jacksonville. With the Titans down 14 and 5:30 to play and scrambling to rally to save their playoff hopes, backup quarterback Matt Cassel threw a pass to his right that Ramsey made an athletic move and fingertip catch to nab. A great catch, and his 30-yard return for touchdown put the game out of reach. One of Ramsey’s question marks coming into the NFL was his paucity of interceptions in college. But with sneaky picks like that, and with the smooth transformation he’s made to cover corner, Ramsey has answered those questions with strong play.

Also...

Quote: 

7. I think it’s always smart to remember at this time of year (a week from today is BLACK MONDAY WITH ALL THE NEWS ABOUT COACH FIRINGS COMING RIGHT UP!!!) that coaches have lives, and with the firing of each coach comes the firing of 18 to 22 other coaches and their families as well. It’s the lives they bought into, and they lives they love—except for times like this. I asked Austen Lane, who wrote for The MMQB in 2013 what it was like to get fired when the Jaguars, indeed, fired him, to tell me his thoughts on Gus Bradley. I find Bradley to be one of the most sincere and earnest and nice people I’ve met in this business—among coaches, players, team officials, whoever. This comes from Lane:

“The moment I knew Coach Bradley was a man of integrity and high character was the day I found out I was getting released by the Jaguars. Every head coach handles the process of cutting a player differently. Some coaches will give you a generic, We’re going in a different direction, with a handshake and an exit-stage-left while some coaches won’t even meet with a player or provide an explanation. Coach Bradley walked with me into the general manager’s office and sat in a chair right next to me as it was announced I would be let go. It was almost like he wanted to be there to help absorb the gut shot I received. After meeting with the GM, Dave Caldwell, Coach Bradley invited me to his office to meet with him one on one. There wasn’t any generic phrase or rushed handshake to get me out. You could tell he genuinely cared about my well-being and made every effort in reminding me that if I ever needed anything to give him a call. All this coming from a guy I only knew for 3 weeks.”

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/12/26/nfl-w...peter-king

Gus is a fantastic person, but he's easily the worst head coach in NFL history
There's no question that Gus Bradley has a HUGE heart. He's a man of morals and integrity. He's a great friend. I said this before. But he's the kind of friend you could call at 3:00 AM to pick you up if you were hammered outside some bar.

I believe he'd pick up that phone and come save the day. He just couldn't figure it out here and I think maybe it was too much for him to tackle all on his own. He'll go onto be a solid DC again in the NFL or a HC in the NCAA at some point. 

His will to be a good guy most likely took away from his ability to become a good coach, which is unfortunate.

It's not the the Nice Football League though.
I think he'd be a great recruiter at the college level. Could have some real success there.
Quote:I think he'd be a great recruiter at the college level. Could have some real success there.

Was just thinking the same thing.  College Coaching staffs are going to have to employee more life coaching.  The "culture" has changed and the student athlete has to navigate shaky ground.
 Like many here I loved Gus the man..but the NFL is a business and it is all about wins and loses..and there he just did not measure up. He will go back to being a DC and have a great long remaining career in the NFL

Gus found out the hard way. Being friendly in business helps nothing. 

Gus Who?

I could care less.  This game is about results.  I would have felt differently if he was fired 2 years ago, however, his removal was long over due.  He needed to go.

Quote:Gus Who?
Lol I am good with taking this approach.
Quote:Gus is a fantastic person, but he's easily the worst head coach in NFL history

BINGO
Bradley made a lot to money while doing a terrible job.  It is very hard for me to feel sorry for him.  Actually, he stole his pay.

Quote:Gus is a fantastic person, but he's easily the worst head coach in NFL history

100% correct. He may have been a bad head coach, but he isn't a bad person. Bobby Patrino is a good head coach, but he was and still is a coward
Quote:Gus found out the hard way. Being friendly in business helps nothing.
Remember when you said Ramsey doesn't have good hands and he wasn't a good pick?

I remember.
Quote:Also...

Gus will find success again.  He'll learn from this experience.  He's a talented coach, as evidenced by his success in Seattle.  Like some others who have commented, I think he'd be a fantastic college coach.
Quote:Bradley made a lot to money while doing a terrible job.  It is very hard for me to feel sorry for him.  Actually, he stole his pay.
He did not.  He worked hard and tirelessly.  He failed.  But he did not steal his pay.  Be careful that the harshness you're judging him with doesn't come back to bite you.
I think Gus would make the best high school football coach. And I'd go see that in action. I feel like he could really positively impact lives. But just not NFL head coach material.
I remember hearing Henne tell the story about how, right after they drafted Blake at #3, Gus called him up and asked how he was after they drafted a QB at #3. Henne said he told Gus not to worry about him and to just do what he has to do or do what's best for the team or something like that.

I still remember that about Gus. I don't think anyone can honestly say that Gus isn't a super nice guy, maybe one of the nicest HCs in NFL history, but being nice isn't what keeps you being a HC. It might keep you around longer then you should be kept as HC, for some teams, but eventually winning games will win out over being a super nice guy, when you are an NFL HC.
Quote:Also...

I wish Gus told me that. I'd tell him I could use a cool half of million.

Regards..................the Chiefjag
Pages: 1 2 3