Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Henne – Just the facts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
I see a lot of the commentary on this site and others associated with QB Chad Henne. 

I also see two camps:  Those of us For Henne and those of us Against Henne.  I ride the fence.  I want him to perform well, but I'm unsure he is capable of it.  I need to pick a side.

Let’s talk facts about Henne and what we can expect in the 2014 season.

Note: All facts taken form

http://espn.go.com/nfl

and

http://www.nfl.com

League Facts from 2013:

• Jaguars finished 4-12 that ranked them Tied for 3<sup>rd
    </sup>

worst record (TB, OAK, CLV, ATL).
  • 13 Teams finished above .500.  All 13 made the playoffs.

• 19 teams finished .500 or below.  All 19 missed a playoff spot.

QB Facts from 2013:

Henne:

• 18<sup>th
    </sup>

in Total Passing Yards with 3,241
  • 16<sup>th
    </sup>

in Completions: 305 
  • 16<sup>th
    </sup>

in Attempts: 503
  • 19<sup>th
    </sup>

in Comp. Percentage: 60.6
  • T26th Touchdowns: 13

• T9th in interceptions: 14

• T14<sup>th
    </sup>

in Sacks taken: 38
Opinion:

Average in most catagories.  What jumps out at me are TD’s, Interceptions and Sacks.  This is where Henne is statistically bad. But how do we judge him on these items?

• TD’s – Perhaps we need to rank the 2013 receivers. 

• Interceptions – How do you break down between QB play, WR Play and late game playing from behind?

• Sacks – QB or arguably the worst O-line in the NFL?

2014 Expectations:  I’ll leave this up to you guys to debate.

So, all that to say Henne is average at best?

I think that's been pretty well established, hasn't it?

I'm still trying to figure out how 13 teams made the playoff last year.... :whistling: 

Quote:I'm still trying to figure out how 13 teams made the playoff last year.... :whistling:

I was thinking the same thing.
When in doubt, 

Blank #2 is a sage choice.

HeadSlap

Average in virtually every category and will be ranked as a bottom 5 QB in all the NFL preview specials.

13 teams made the playoffs? WHAT?

Let’s not dwell on the typo’s.  Mistakes happen.

The bigger question is how good can Henne be?

If he’s average with subpar talent can he be above average with the 2014 roster?

Quote:Let’s not dwell on the typo’s.  Mistakes happen.

If he’s average with subpar talent can he be above average with the 2014 roster?

He's not average.

He can be made to appear average by cherry picking some stats, but he's bottom of the league as far as experienced starters go.
Quote:
Let’s not dwell on the typo’s. Mistakes happen.

That's why the board provides an edit button.

Quote:So, all that to say Henne is average at best?

I think that's been pretty well established, hasn't it?
I would take an average QB like Henne, over a QB like Gabbage any day.

Quote:He's not average.

He can be made to appear average by cherry picking some stats, but he's bottom of the league as far as experienced starters go.

Your dislike of the guy is clouding your judgement.  He is average and can play better than that for stretches of time given enough support.  
A lot of what we call "QB stats" are really team stats.  Henne has never to my knowledge played on a decent team.   I thought he played okay last year given that he was on a really lousy team.    I think this year, with better players around him, Henne will look a lot better.   I know Henne is not our long term starter.   It's just that a lot of people simple-mindedly blame everything on the QB, when in fact football is a team game.   It takes all 11 guys to make an offense click. 

He's close to the bottom in QB rating also.

To determine if he's average in my opinion, pick which starting QBs you'd take him over.  I can't see enough of them that I'd put him ahead of to put him in the average range. 

Sure he's 18th in passing yards, but some of the guys below him are RG3, Kaepernick, Foles, Cutler, and Rodgers (due to injury obviously), just to name a few.  Obviously no one is taking Henne over them.

Another thread asking how good can Chad Henne be? Lol smh......
He's going to shock the world, Kurt Warner 1999 Rams style

Quote:He's going to shock the world, Kurt Warner 1999 Rams style

Why?

Did he stock groceries at Publix during the offseason?
Quote:Your dislike of the guy is clouding your judgement.  He is average and can play better than that for stretches of time given enough support.  

Are we talking about the same guy? I'm talking about the Chad Henne that has never thrown more TDs than INTs in a season, the guy who has never had a season passer rating as high as 80. The guy that blows games at the end if they're close.

Are you talking about that Henne? Because if you are then you're deluding yourself if you think he's as good as average among starting QBs.

By passer rating he wasn't even in the top 30 of guys that had thrown a decent number of attempts. The only stat he's upper tier of the league in is INTs, and it's not the good kind of upper tier of the league.

I don't have a dislike of the guy, I have dislike of having to watch another year of hopelessly bad QB play.
Quote:He's not average.

LOL. "Cherry picking."   The OP listed his average rankings in 7 major categories.  How on God's green Earth is that cherry-picking?

Just stop.

He's average at best and everyone knows it.  Why can't you accept that?  

Quote:Average in virtually every category and will be ranked as a bottom 5 QB in all the NFL preview specials.

*Except where it matters most.  TD's.  Garbage time was his best friend last season.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11