Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NASCAR track wants to host a Jaguars preseason game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Quote:According to Mark Long of the Associated Press, the president of Daytona International Speedway wants to bring a game to the infield of the fabled race car track.

“We’ve not had a formal discussion with the Jags here, but we’ve got some great relationships,” DIS president Joie Chitwood said, while wearing a Jaguars jersey and hanging out on the practice field. “There’s always an opportunity.”

The Jaguars have acknowledged the need to become a regional team, and have considered farming out preseason games to places like Orlando or Gainesville or Daytona Beach.
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.nbcsports.com/content/nascar-track-wants-host-jaguars-preseason-game'>http://m.nbcsports.com/content/nascar-track-wants-host-jaguars-preseason-game</a>

I've seen this thrown around in the past and I wonder if Khan and Lamping would be willing to do something that's "out of the box".

Would you be in favor of giving up a preseason game in hopes of strengthening the Jags regional foothold?

In a semi related story:

2010 Daytona 500 champion Jamie McMurray

practices with the Jaguars

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/6/10/5797026/daytona-500-champion-jamie-mcmurray-practices-with-jacksonville-jaguars'>http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/6/10/5797026/daytona-500-champion-jamie-mcmurray-practices-with-jacksonville-jaguars</a>
If they do it, hopefully it doesn't happen while season ticket holders are already being shorted a game in the regular season.  I don't care if it's just a preseason game.  It's one more loss for those of us who attend each home game. 

As a season ticket holder I would not mind. Seems it could be complicated as how would they assign seating to those of us who are season tick holders and such. Otherwise it would be a fun day trip. maybe go down Friday and be a party weekend.

Quote:If they do it, hopefully it doesn't happen while season ticket holders are already being shorted a game in the regular season.  I don't care if it's just a preseason game.  It's one more loss for those of us who attend each home game. 
This
Quote:If they do it, hopefully it doesn't happen while season ticket holders are already being shorted a game in the regular season. I don't care if it's just a preseason game. It's one more loss for those of us who attend each home game.

If its just a preseason game I would be in favor of it. Preseason games are hard enough to draw as it is. This would hopefully help that, at least for one game and potentially help create new fans in the process.
A preaseason game at daytona would help this franchise across the board. Sure, It will de-value season tickets but its not like the jags haven't been increasing its value 10 fold over the last 5 years.

Its time we take central florida as jags territory.

Quote:If its just a preseason game I would be in favor of it. Preseason games are hard enough to draw as it is. This would hopefully help that, at least for one game and potentially help create new fans in the process.

Yeah, that's all fine and good, but you can't take 2 home games away from season ticket holders.  When the London thing winds down, fine, play one in Daytona. I'd go.  But, not until then. 
I don't want to lose another home game. 

As a season ticket holder, I'm ok with it.  It's an hour/hour and a half ride for most people in Jacksonville. 

You are taking a chance of getting a whole new population of fans to watch the Jaguars.  Plus, watching a game there could be pretty interesting.

I like the vision Khan has and I really think he is going to continue to grow this team regionally which will help long term. I agree though that they really need to do something to make this fair to season ticket holders.
Quote:If they do it, hopefully it doesn't happen while season ticket holders are already being shorted a game in the regular season.  I don't care if it's just a preseason game.  It's one more loss for those of us who attend each home game. 

I can fully understand that take as I know you are a season ticket holder yourself. 

But speaking from an out of state fan's perspective, I like the idea of the Jags branching out and tapping more regional markets. Khan/ Lamping's effort to help the visibility of this team/ marketing of the team is a good sight to see.  

No issues with this.

It would be interesting if they can move TC down to Orlando/Daytona, and/or move a little to the west around Lake City. 

Quote:No issues with this.

It would be interesting if they can move TC down to Orlando/Daytona, and/or move a little to the west around Lake City. 

They are not moving away from their facilities they just spent millions to upgrade.
Agreed.

I might be okay with it if they did it after the London series is finished.
Yea I don't see them taking another game from STH even if it is just a preseason game.

Quote:Yeah, that's all fine and good, but you can't take 2 home games away from season ticket holders.  When the London thing winds down, fine, play one in Daytona. I'd go.  But, not until then. 
Daytona is much closer than London. Apples to Oranges IMO. Its not hard to drive 1.5 hours from J-Ville to Daytona, even in the slow lane.
Quote:Daytona is much closer than London. Apples to Oranges IMO. Its not hard to drive 1.5 hours from J-Ville to Daytona, even in the slow lane.

Taking a home game is taking a home game. Doesn't matter where it is moved to. 

It would be unreasonable to assume a season ticket holder would be able to go to a Daytona "home game".
I like the idea, once the London series is over.  It would help to regionalize the team.  Now, if it was counted as a "home game" with the season tickets, then I wouldn't like it.  If the game was on Saturday, I would make a weekend trip out of it. 

No offense, but driving from Jax to Daytona for one preseason game is not a big deal.   I drive up from the Orlando area for EVERY home game.

That being said, can you imagine the media field day with this?  I can hear ESPN now.  "The Jaguars are so desperate for fans they are moving a game to a race track."

I'll pass.

When will they have a hockey game there?  :whistling:

I guess any way you can bring in revenue, cant blame the man.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7