Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Texans almost picked Bortles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Quote: 

Houston Texas: The Texans held the first pick in the draft and there’s was much intrigue right up until the final minutes. Houston seriously considered Blake Bortles with the initial selection and I’m told they had two cards filled out at their table. One had Bortles name on it while the other listed the team’s eventual selection, Jadeveon Clowney.
from here: http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=9760

You can see them filling in two cards in the pressure points 8 video:

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...3f378cc12e

I think they will be okay with Clowney but it is interesting that he ended up with a division rival.

So they get to see him twice a year. If they made the wrong pick, it is one that could haunt them for some time. Like Cleveland passing on Roethlisberger.

I think for Bortles he ended up in the right situation. No pressure to start, a coaching staff that has been in place for a year already, in his home state and being joined by his previous RB.

the texans will rue the day. 

We shall make them pay.

We'll get an opportunity twice a year to determine who got the better end of that deal.

Quote:from here: http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=9760

Interesting.

This is one of the few reviews I've seen that ranked this draft class of the Jaguars below an A.

I agree that Houston nailed their draft, though.  Only knock I have on their draft is no QB earlier, but if their guys were gone by their second round pick, I can see why.

But if they get even just competent play at QB between Keenum and Fitzpatrick, the Texans should be in contention.
Quote:from here: http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=9760

Doesn't surprise me. As I asserted previously to that Houston homer, The Texans weren't all that fussed on Clowney. They pretty much took him because they "had" to after backing themselves into a corner by botching the trade options with their unrealistically high demands in exchange for the pick. 

Bortles definitely fits the O' Brien mold of QB, too. 

I think there is truth to this rumor. 

Just another of several assurance (not that we needed any) that Bortles was NOT a "reach" at 3. 
They also have the opportunity to develop Savage without the pressure of pushing him into a starting role without earning the chance (being a fourth round pick, like Garrard was for us.)  If he doesn't become starting material, then you certainly haven't invested a lot.

As long as their defense is stout and they have enough offensive weapons (Johnson is the question mark as he's getting older), like Bullseye said... all they really need is competent play.  Schaub wasn't special, but he was productive.  As long as their QB play doesn't work against them and they protect the football, they should bounce back.

Having such a fantastic defense can afford that.

Quote:They also have the opportunity to develop Savage without the pressure of pushing him into a starting role without earning the chance (being a fourth round pick, like Garrard was for us.)  If he doesn't become starting material, then you certainly haven't invested a lot.

As long as their defense is stout and they have enough offensive weapons (Johnson is the question mark as he's getting older), like Bullseye said... all they really need is competent play.  Schaub wasn't special, but he was productive.  As long as their QB play doesn't work against them and they protect the football, they should bounce back.

Having such a fantastic defense can afford that.

Are they that good of a Defense though? They allowed over four yards per rush attempt and over six yards per passing attempt. They have to switch to a new scheme, they need help in the Secondary, and they lost two starters I believe on their Defensive Line. Granted, Clowney is going to help a lot but he's not going to fix all of their problems.
I think the defense is overrated. Watt is obviously a great player and a superstar. But outside of him? Meh.

Cushing can't stay healthy.

They lost the underrated Antonio Smith and Daniel Manning.

The couple times we played them, DJ Swearinger looked lost.

Some people are predicting the Texans to be a quick turnaround team. I don't see it.

Quote:I think the defense is overrated. Watt is obviously a great player and a superstar. But outside of him? Meh.

Cushing can't stay healthy.

They lost the underrated Antonio Smith and Daniel Manning.

The couple times we played them, DJ Swearinger looked lost.

Some people are predicting the Texans to be a quick turnaround team. I don't see it.

This, and laughing at pirksters comment that Savage can be developed.
Quote:This, and laughing at pirksters comment that Savage can be developed.

Savage will be a tough develop. 

He has accuracy issues. Thats usually not an easy fix. 
I think Bortles is going to make Houston sad for passing on him, and make some of the national pundits poo-pooing the pick look like fools.

"The Texans  held the first pick in the draft and there's was much intrigue right up until the final minutes. Houston seriously considered Blake Bortles with the initial selection and I'm told they had two cards filled out at their table. One had Bortles name on it while the other listed the team's eventual selection, Jadeveon Clowney. In the end Clowney was the smart pick and was made in large part based on fear; the team was afraid of passing up such a potentially dominant defender."

The GMs and even a few owners will say and do a lot of things leading up to the draft, so its hard to tell what the real direction is from the team unless the GM comes out pubicly after the draft saying they really wanted ____ (blank #2) but took a chance on ____ (Blank #1).

If you can believe the stories that came out prior to the draft they had Bortles as their #1 for awhile from the start and than leaned towards Clowney, but they also said Mack was an option.  All of which couldve been a ploy to get a team to trade up which I think they had hoped for an RG3 type of trade offer.  That didnt happen so they went with the best player available on their boards, if it had been Bortles they wouldve drafted him but it wasnt it was Clowney.

Only time will tell which is the better player

Quote:Are they that good of a Defense though? They allowed over four yards per rush attempt and over six yards per passing attempt. They have to switch to a new scheme, they need help in the Secondary, and they lost two starters I believe on their Defensive Line. Granted, Clowney is going to help a lot but he's not going to fix all of their problems.

Well, it is a new scheme, but it is still a 3-4.

Under the Wade Phillips type of 3-4, they really didn't utilize particularly large NTs, and I think that hurt them in run defense, especially when their offense went south.

However, history shows Crennel has used more traditional 3-4 personnel, and that has reflected in the nose tackles he has had where he has been.

That held true with the selection of Louis Nix.

If Nix proves to be the kind of NT I think he'll be, Houston will be a lot tougher to run against.
More merit for the idea that Bortles was/is considered the best QB in this draft. Now he's just gotta prove it.
Bortles was the best qb prospect in this draft. Can't deny that.
Quote:Bortles was the best qb prospect in this draft. Can't deny that.

I still think Bridgewater was, but Bortles' is a legit franchise level QB prospect. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4