Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Completely excited about our two new Smiths
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Telvin's speed is killer, and Chris Could be an absolute steal. I have a solid feeling our FAs and our draft picks will be getting to the quarterback at a better rate than in the last couple years. I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks.

Both looked good in the rookie camp.  Unfortunately, it's underwear practice.  We'll see how that translates when the pads are on and the hitting is real.

Chris Clemmons in FA was a huge addition, but I also REALLY Like Chris Smith, but Telvin is a 4-3 OLB he isn't going to be rushing the passer too often. 

Quote:Telvin is a 4-3 OLB he isn't going to be rushing the passer too often. 
Says who? Certainly not the coaches.
Quote:Says who? Certainly not the coaches.
Gus Bradley in an interview called him a "Nickel Linebacker"  "A guy who can come in and cover Tight Ends/RBs on passing downs" "We need to take advantage of his speed and cover ability"
Quote:Gus Bradley in an interview called him a "Nickel Linebacker"  "A guy who can come in and cover Tight Ends/RBs on passing downs" "We need to take advantage of his speed and cover ability"
Yes, that is a strength of his, but nowhere did anyone say he wouldn't rush the passer. Actually, they mentioned that too. It's also a strength of his.
Quote:Yes, that is a strength of his, but nowhere did anyone say he wouldn't rush the passer. Actually, they mentioned that too. It's also a strength of his.
Every player on the D will at some point rush the passer in a blitz play, he's still not going to be a pass rusher, he's a 4-3 OLB not a DE. 

He's not a pass rusher. This isn't even debateable 
Quote:Every player on the D will at some point rush the passer in a blitz play, he's still not going to be a pass rusher, he's a 4-3 OLB not a DE. 

Linebackers don't pass rush??? Have you ever looked at sack stats for teams with 4/3 defenses? Better yet, do you even watch football?

Linbackers pass rush all the time.
Quote:Telvin's speed is killer, and Chris Could be an absolute steal. I have a solid feeling our FAs and our draft picks will be getting to the quarterback at a better rate than in the last couple years. I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks.
Agree....
Quote:Linebackers don't pass rush??? Have you ever looked at sack stats for teams with 4/3 defenses? Better yet, do you even watch football?

He's special.  He's going to be a nickelbacker, eh.
If he can just get around 230 lbs and maintain that speed, look out

Quote:He's special.  He's going to be a nickelbacker, eh.
LOL! +1

One of these guys?

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt199...nickel.gif
Quote:LOL! +1

One of these guys?

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt199...nickel.gif
Bingo!  Sorry, I couldn't resist. 

The "eh" gave it away, right? Wink

Look at the bright side.  Telvin would have a theme song when he takes the field.  "Hero" or "Rock Star"

Quote:If he can just get around 230 lbs and maintain that speed, look out

EXACT-A-MUNDO...

He'll potentially be a Wrecking Force...

Size and Speed prevails...

NH3...
Quote:Linebackers don't pass rush??? Have you ever looked at sack stats for teams with 4/3 defenses? Better yet, do you even watch football?

In special plays yes, in their base defense they do not. like I said, if they sent a blitz with him yeah he'll rush the passer, but he's not a pass rusher. 
Quote:Every player on the D will at some point rush the passer in a blitz play, he's still not going to be a pass rusher, he's a 4-3 OLB not a DE. 

So Debatable that it isn't humurious...

Not A Pass Rusher he isn't? Or maybe he's A Run Rusher...

NH3...

To say outside linebackers in a 4-3 do not rush the passer at all would be false, however (thishurts me a lot to admit he is pretty much right), the OLB in a 4-3 defense has a much lower sack rate than a 4-3 de or a 3-4 olb.
3-4 OLBs, and D Linemen are the only players who can be considered "Pass Rushers"

Blitzing on occasion doesn't make you a pass rusher, your job isn't to rush the passer. He is not a pass rusher. Paul Posluszny is not a pass rusher, Geno Hayes is not a pass rusher, Russel allen was not a pass rusher and Telvin Smith is not a pass rusher.

Have you ever heard of a guy named Lawrence Taylor? How about Derrick Thomas?

Need I go on?

Quote:Have you ever heard of a guy named Lawrence Taylor? How about Derrick Thomas?

Need I go on?
You just named two outliers. The majority of the 4-3 OLB are not known for rushing the passer. Telvin will mostly play in coverage; he may on occasion blitz but I doubt it is that often.
Pages: 1 2 3