Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Start Blake Bortles?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Personally, I would...

Start him as soon as hes able to convince the coaches he can outplay Henne.

Quote:Start him as soon as hes able to convince the coaches he can outplay Henne.

That's what I'm thinking.
If he's better than Henne in training camp/preseason, yes.  If our mr measurables GM likes the fact he's a competitor, start him, don't baby him out of fear of what happend to Gabbert.  I think it was visible that Gabbert was not mentally tough on the field.   Andrew Luck, RGIII started day one.

They won't start him unless he's ready. I seriously doubt they'll rush him in there. This team is more than likely not a playoff team yet anyway, and wasn't going to be regardless of who they drafted. So rushing him in there would accomplish nothing.

But of course that's mu opinion and it's as useless as everyone else's.
Quote:If he's better than Henne in training camp/preseason, yes.  If our mr measurables GM likes the fact he's a competitor, start him, don't baby him out of fear of what happend to Gabbert.  I think it was visible that Gabbert was not mentally tough on the field.   Andrew Luck, RGIII started day one.

Completely agree. I really don't like the idea of sitting him on the bench for the season
As soon as we resigned Henne did anyone think this was a path to a winning season?  Don't give him the David Carr treatment but definitely coach him up.

I wouldn't be surprised if he out plays Henne.
Quote:Personally, I would...

Can you not vote in your own poll?  Right now, there are 0 yes votes.  
Don't rush him in there but I'd expect him to beat out Henne pretty quick for the starting position. He was drafted high enough he should make us better from day one.

Quote:Can you not vote in your own poll? Right now, there are 0 yes votes.

Yes, but it's purely for others opinions.
It will be interesting to see how the offseason develops and how Blake grasps the offense.  If he can make some improvements with his footwork this offseason then his odds will improve.  Gus and Dave preach competition...Blake should be allowed 100% to compete with Henne.

Think he beats out Henne so he will start.
I don't want him to start Day 1, because I am paranoid about what happened to Gabbert. If he shows he is ready in pre-season, he deserves to start.

I think he has a chance to outplay Henne in the pre-season and start from Day 1, but I think it's more likely he plays the last 4 to 8 games of the season.  I voted Maybe.

Hard to say yet. I don't think del rio and co had any idea how to evaluate a qb. This regime seems slightly more poised to make the right, but tough call. That being said, I also find it hard to believe he won't beat out Henne. I would like to see him sit at least 4 to 5 games.
When he's comfortable. They identified his weaknesses, and I doubt he plays before addressing them to a good degree
Quote:I don't want him to start Day 1, because I am paranoid about what happened to Gabbert. If he shows he is ready in pre-season, he deserves to start.
That is a concern of mine as well. Gabbert had 3 different HC,OC and systems in 3 years, that didn't help either, but you can't teach anyone to not be afraid to be hit...It seems that most people were fine when it was announced that no matter what QB was taken by the Jags, he more than likely wouldn't start playing until the following year, now that we drafted one, people want him to start from day 1. I would expect as the year goes on, we would see sprinkles of Bortles here and there, but toward the end of the year, we would see much more of him, unless Henne is hurt and we needed him to start

Caldwell can stew all he wants. He has no idea what he just did, and his perception-building fiends aren't going to successfully combat the tidal wave of public opinion. Bortles starts year one, game one.

If he doesn't start right away, Bortles becomes a bust on the scale of Ryan Leaf.

Obviously, the team spread their intent to select Bortles around the media well in advance of the draft. Their cronies in the media blend in really well. The difference is the only media people that like/approve of the Bortles pick are the Gator-infested media (decent side money in a down year for Florida football) and franchise cronies embedded in the national media.

The effect the Gator worms and cronies have results in instantaneous neutral opinion.

For example this clever way of understating the necessary pick pan from SI:

Reaches

• Blake Bortles, Jacksonville (No. 3): The Jaguars had to find a quarterback, and it is of critical importance that a team in such a situation lands the exact guy it wants. Clearly, Jacksonville was keen on Bortles.

The confidence in this pick may be worthwhile in a couple of years, once Bortles inches closer to his full potential. But he does have a lot of work to do before he gets there, and the Jaguars passed on Manziel, Bridgewater, Sammy Watkins, Mack and others to get him. This was a very early gamble for a team that had plenty of choices.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/05/09/nfl-draft-s...alil-mack/

Calling the pick a reach is a kinder, gentler way of stating Bortles is a bust right out of the box.

The most revolting thing for the American public to consider is the skill and know-how inside the media as to knowing the truth and deliberately play a game of deception with it. They laugh at our ignorance.

The TU worms are the lowest form of life on earth. Not only did they create Blakenstein and shove him on the Jaguars, once the team was hit by rotten tomatoes, they washed their instigating-filthy hands within an hour or so of the public disclosure of the Bortles pick.

we need to see chad henne's espn sport science results first before making this call

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7