Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Jags Say They'll Sit Bortles For A Year......
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Congrats, Jags. 3rd and 4th round picks are who you sit for a year. NOT the third stinking pick in the first round.

Thanks for nothing. See you next May..... :down:

you draft a qb third overall.. he better be starting by midseason

Yea I don't like the idea of him having to sit and they know that already? Who was the last QB taken this high not expected to be the man for day one?
Quote:Yea I don't like the idea of him having to sit and they know that already? Who was the last QB taken this high not expected to be the man for day one?

McNair?
Quote:Congrats, Jags. 3rd and 4th round picks are who you sit for a year. NOT the third stinking pick in the first round.

Come off the Modis Building ledge! It'll be ok, I swear.
I love drafting players 3rd overall who aren't even good enough to beat out your terrible backup quarterback in the first season.
Quote:McNair?

Was it that long ago? It's not a rhetorical question I don't know.

Most top 5 Qbs are expected to be the man day one that's why they go so high
Sitting a QB for a year is how it's done right. Not everyone is Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning. Most guys would benefit from a redshirt year, and Bortles will be better for it.

Quote:Was it that long ago? It's not a rhetorical question I don't know.

Most top 5 Qbs are expected to be the man day one that's why they go so high
They're not handing him the job from day 1 and this shouldn't upset you.

Gus wants competition, he wants players to earn the starting spot. Make him earn the right to be the QB during camp and pre-season.
Quote:Come off the Modis Building ledge! It'll be ok, I swear.
TOOOOOOOOOOOOO LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE!

splat.

Tongue
Quote:Sitting a QB for a year is how it's done right. Not everyone is Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning. Most guys would benefit from a redshirt year, and Bortles will be better for it.

If its the right way why is it so rare?
Quote:Sitting a QB for a year is how it's done right. Not everyone is Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning. Most guys would benefit from a redshirt year, and Bortles will be better for it.

If its the right way why is it so rare?
Quote:Congrats, Jags. 3rd and 4th round picks are who you sit for a year. NOT the third stinking pick in the first round.

they called you and said they gonna sit him for a year?
Quote:I love drafting players 3rd overall who aren't even good enough to beat out your terrible backup quarterback in the first season.
That's not the point.  The point is you protect your investment and develop him.  Still think he takes the job at some point in the season, regardless of their statement.
I don't know what you expected, it's not like the team is good enough to contend yet anyway. 

Just be patient.

Quote:If its the right way why is it so rare?

Because guys drafting that high are afraid for their jobs, exactly like JDR was when he started Gabbert our of desperation.
Quote:If its the right way why is it so rare?
Because teams are desperate to win now.

Gus and Dave know they have a time scale to build this franchise from the ground and they don't have to rush this.

The roster Smith left was a joke.

The Jags say a lot of stuff.  

I think Bortles could start mid-season this year if they think he's ready.  

Quote:That's not the point.  The point is you protect your investment and develop him.  Still think he takes the job at some point in the season, regardless of their statement.

You shouldn't have to protect the 3rd overall pick. Other teams are taking day 1 starters and we're taking an undeveloped quarterback. 
Quote:Because guys drafting that high are afraid for their jobs, exactly like JDR was when he started Gabbert our of desperation.

Maybe but at the 3rd pick I expect him to be on Lucks level he should be winning games for us
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6