Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The LG position
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
It has been a revolving door at LG every since Joeckel went down. Joeckel was beat multiple times at that position, Omameh played good and hopefully he gets resigned, and I thought Reed played decent as well the couple games he played.  Hopefully this is one spot we fill in FA so we can spend our high round picks at other positions and would rather have a proven vet there than a rookie. 

A few FA are

TJ Lang, GB - Made the Pro Bowl this year and after Josh Sitton was waived GB will probably try to resign.  If not hopefully Dave takes a hard look

Chance Warmack, Ten - Has had an up and down career at this point but was one of the best guard prospect to come out in years. His strength is run blocking, something we have lacked at that position the last 10 years.  I guess the biggest question with him is his health/injury status.

Ron Leary, Dal - The guy has been very steady over the last few years, Far from a liability on what has been the best oline in football the last 3 or 4 years.  Was benched for Lael Collins earlier in the season, not because Leary was playing bad, just that Collins had the better upside and is a very good player himself.  Collins would of been a top 10 pick if it wasn't for the murder investigation. 

Kevin Zeitler, Cin - Probably the top guy on my list, one of the better guards in the league since he was drafted in the 1st round in 2012.  Would love it if we could sign Zeitler and move Cann back to LG, the position he played in college and give Cann one more year like we will most likely give Bortles.

Or is there a guard you guys really like in the draft.  If Cam Robinson somehow falls to the 2nd I would love to take a chance on him.  If we cant get one of the guys above, I would put him at LG, if we did I would still take a chance on him and give Parnell some competition.  Who do you guys want at LG next year? or what do you think Dave does?
Larry Warford?
Quote:Larry Warford?
Yeah, damn forgot about Warford.  I mentioned on a thread a couple weeks ago he would be a FA I would target and I didnt even put him on the list.  That said it looks like there will be a few good Guards to hit FA this year and hopefully we come away with one.  I want a proven vet at LG, not a rookie.  On top of that we can use our 2nd and 3rd round picks on another position on need like RB, or possibly RT
Ya Warford is "my guy" this year, is my number 1 pick for free agency! From the guys you listed i would Zeitler but not a huge fan of the others. A guard in the draft who I really like is Dan Feeney from Indiana,he played mostly RG and would take a 2nd round pick to get but I'm a big big fan of his!
Warmack is garbage. Another OL bust from that dreadful draft.

For me it is

1. Zeitler

2. Lang

3. Warford

4. Leary

5. Warmack

Actually the revolving door started turning in Week 3 because Luke Joeckel moved back to LT to sub for Kelvin Beachum.

We need to tackle the LG position (pun intended) in both FA and the draft. No matter who our LG is, he can't run block. That needs to change at all three levels on the depth chart.

I really doubt TJ Lang shakes free, Green Bay is good with keeping their guys. Zeitler is definitely at the top of the list, with cann moving back to the left. Keep omaheh for backup.

And if we do happen to trade out in some scenario and Cam Robinson is BPA i wouldnt be mad at that, some say he can slot in and be a good guard or a right tackle both of which we need.
Quote:Yeah, damn forgot about Warford.  I mentioned on a thread a couple weeks ago he would be a FA I would target and I didnt even put him on the list.  That said it looks like there will be a few good Guards to hit FA this year and hopefully we come away with one.  I want a proven vet at LG, not a rookie.  On top of that we can use our 2nd and 3rd round picks on another position on need like RB, or possibly RT

Quote:Ya Warford is "my guy" this year, is my number 1 pick for free agency! From the guys you listed i would Zeitler but not a huge fan of the others. A guard in the draft who I really like is Dan Feeney from Indiana,he played mostly RG and would take a 2nd round pick to get but I'm a big big fan of his!

If the Jaguars end up signing Larry Warford as an UFA,  do you prefer that he moves to LG?   Or that he continues to play RG,  the only position Offensive position he's played with the Lions,  with A.J. Cann moving to LG?
LG is obviously the biggest need for the offseason and there aren't a lot top OLinemen in the draft. So free agency will most likely be the direction the team goes. Any chance the team resigns Joeckel and plays him on the right side?
Quote:If the Jaguars end up signing Larry Warford as an UFA,  do you prefer that he moves to LG? Or that he continues to play RG,  the only position offensive line he's played with the Lions, with A.J. Cann moving to LG?

So far A.J. Cann has only played RG in the NFL. Would it make any sense to move him?

Maybe Cann could be Larry Warford's backup in that scenario.
Quote:  If the Jaguars end up signing Larry Warford as an UFA,  do you prefer that he moves to LG?   Or that he continues to play RG,  the only position Offensive position he's played with the Lions,  with A.J. Cann moving to LG?
Id keep him at RG and move Cann to LG.  I like the idea of Cann moving back to LG like he played in college.
Quote:LG is obviously the biggest need for the offseason and there aren't a lot top OLinemen in the draft. So free agency will most likely be the direction the team goes. Any chance the team resigns Joeckel and plays him on the right side?
I think the team is done with the Joeckel experiment, and rightfully so.  That money could be used much more wisely on a better player for the oline
Quote:LG is obviously the biggest need for the offseason and there aren't a lot top OLinemen in the draft. So free agency will most likely be the direction the team goes. Any chance the team resigns Joeckel and plays him on the right side?

Absolutely not. Why would we want to re-sign him for any job coming off a torn ACL and MCL after being labeled a first round bust? Dave Caldwell made the right decision when he did not exercise the fifth year option.

If we did want to re-sign him, he would have received the fifth-year option and stayed on the left side.
Quote:Id keep him at RG and move Cann to LG.  I like the idea of Cann moving back to LG like he played in college.

If Can played LG in college why is he a RG in the NFL?
Quote:If Can played LG in college why is he a RG in the NFL?
Call Gus and ask him. 
Quote:Call Gus and ask him. 

I take it Gus never said why.
Quote:So far A.J. Cann has only played RG in the NFL. Would it make any sense to move him?

Maybe Cann could be Larry Warford's backup in that scenario.

Being that A.J. Cann played LG in college and isn't as established as Larry Warford,  it probably would make sense to move Cann to LG.
Quote:I take it Gus never said why.
Why is Fowler playing DE only?  Why did Alu play FB?  Why does Skuta play over Jack?
Quote:Id keep him at RG and move Cann to LG.  I like the idea of Cann moving back to LG like he played in college.

That would be my line of thinking as well.   If Larry Warford hits the open market ( I think it's around 50-50 ),  his services are likely going to be in demand by many teams.   I doubt he would remain on the open market beyond the first 96 hours of the FA period.
Pages: 1 2 3 4