Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Comments by LA Clippers owner Donald Sterling.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Not good.

http://extramustard.si.com/2014/04/26/cl...irlfriend/

Quote:TMZ has audio of what appears to be Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling making some very racist comments. The tape comes from a conversation between Sterling and his girlfriend in which the owner was apparently upset with an Instagram photo that showed her posing with Magic Johnson. Here are a few of the things he allegedly said to her:

“You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want.  

The little I ask you is not to promote it on that … and not to bring them to my games.”

“I’m just saying, in your lousy f—ing Instagrams, you don’t have to have yourself with, walking with black people.”

“…Don’t put him [Magic] on an Instagram for the world to have to see so they have to call me.  And don’t bring him to my games.”

Magic Johnson responded:

Quote: 

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson'>@<b>MagicJohnson</b></a>

<p class="">.<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/cjbycookie'>@<b>cjbycookie</b></a> and I will never go to a Clippers game again as long as Donald Sterling is the owner.

<div>
<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/statuses/460109281451601920'>1:32 PM - 26 Apr 2014</a>
</div>

<div>

</div>

Not to minimize this; but Sterling has been known to be racist for a while now.

Maybe this will be the thing that finally gets him out of the League.
Didn't know Marge Schott had a younger brother..

Quote:Not to minimize this; but Sterling has been known to be racist for a while now.

Maybe this will be the thing that finally gets him out of the League.

I think that will be the case.

I just got done reading the book Showtime. It sounds like former Lakers (and Redskins) owner Jack Kent Cooke was cut from the same cloth.
A rich old white dude turns out to be a bit of a racist? Well, colour me surprised.

Just give him his wish, don't give him your money, I sure as hell wouldnt.  

SMH
Curious to see what the fallout will be. Will Sterling resign? Will fans, players, or staff rally/protest?
This will end with him selling the team.
Quote:A rich old white dude turns out to be a bit of a racist? Well, colour me surprised.

Really?
Quote:Curious to see what the fallout will be. Will Sterling resign? Will fans, players, or staff rally/protest?

I'd imagine either he is done in the NBA or the clippers games will look like ghost city until he is. Id be curious if the players straight up refused to play for him.
I wonder how Doc Rivers feels...
I guess this is where we are supposed to express surprise at what we already know. The league knows it as well - as do the players and coaches who are paid by him.

As stupid as Sterling's comments are I don't think he should be banned from the league. Not sure what the league can do legally, other than heavily fine him, but do we want sports leagues acting on the thoughts and comments of owners, rather than actions that directly relate to the team or it's players? Who knows what the thoughts (and comments to others that aren't captured by TMZ) are of owners regarding women, Jews, and whatever other group or association you want to chose.

Hope Sterling sells soon, or dies soon. Then do a better job of vetting when selecting the next gazzillionaire.

Quote:I guess this is where we are supposed to express surprise at what we already know. The league knows it as well - as do the players and coaches who are paid by him.

As stupid as Sterling's comments are I don't think he should be banned from the league. Not sure what the league can do legally, other than heavily fine him, but do we want sports leagues acting on the thoughts and comments of owners, rather than actions that directly relate to the team or it's players? Who knows what the thoughts (and comments to others that aren't captured by TMZ) are of owners regarding women, Jews, and whatever other group or association you want to chose.

Hope Sterling sells soon, or dies soon. Then do a better job of vetting when selecting the next gazzillionaire.

I agree there's not much the nba can do I think the pressure will come from the fans and individual players/coaches
Quote:A rich old white dude turns out to be a bit of a racist? Well, colour me surprised.
Because stereotypes and generalizations can come from anywhere, even from young euros....
An ignorant comment in a thread about an ignorant man. Fitting, I guess.
Racism dosen't exist

I wonder who released this recording.  Surely it wasn't her.  I know it's pure love that draws that young hot thing to that wrinkly liver-spotted old rich dude.

This isn’t his first issue involving racism. He’s been sued by former players of color for discrimination, he’s been sued by the justice department because of housing discrimination, etc. so I’m not surprised it has gotten to this. He’s also said very racist things about Latinos and Koreans in the past.

Now, what will or needs to happen?

1. He shouldn’t be at today’s game even though it’s in the Bay Area, not LA.

2. He should be suspended from the league.

3. He can’t be forced legally to sell but ultimately, he will be forced to sell. This pressure will come from league players of all racial backgrounds, fans of all racial backgrounds, some politicians, but most importantly it will come from the owners. If they unite, they can force him out. It's been done before in other leagues.  

I wonder what the racial make-up of the crowd will be when the next game in LA takes place. There are many people of color who are season ticket holders to the Clippers. Quite the conundrum.

He survived those other racial run-ins mostly because they weren’t publicized like this one. But now we’re in the age of TMZ as the ultimate kindle AND twitter as the gasoline. Can’t hide from it this time. This isn’t going away.

Something very interesting that was brought up on ESPN’s “The Sports Reporters” this morning was highlighting miserable fans of some teams are who have to suffer under really bad ownership. They highlighted the ownership of the Giants, Patriots, Spurs, etc. and the former ownership of the Lakers as great ownership and how lucky the fans of those clubs are. Though he’s still young as a owner I think ours will be in this group in the future and I’m glad of it!
Sterling is probably the worst owner in North American sports history. Even before this.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9