Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Analysis of Cecil Shorts via Football Outsiders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
This article by Rivers McCown of FO doesn't really shed a lot of light on Shorts, but it does point out some shortcomings of his.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">"...Despite the hands,[their analysis lists him as having nine drops throughout the season
] there's definitely a place in the NFL for a player with Shorts' skill set. The question is: where? I would place him as a bottom-tier second receiver, with the caveat that I think he's a good third receiver. The inconsistency is annoying, but with some better matchups inside and better quarterback play, I could see a more efficient season in the cards sometime in the future..."

Haha.

Last season I labeled Cecil as a really good 3rd receiver and one of our wannabe scouts on Jaguars Twitter killed me about it.

Cecil is good, not a great 1 or 2 though.
I think he's a pretty solid 2. Could he be upgraded? Sure. But he has had some really nice plays with really bad QBs. So if he were on a team with someone like Manning I don't think he'd have as many doubters. 

But it is whatever, I'm thinking after this draft they're going to let Shorts test FA...

Hes a 4th round WR with only a year and a half of really starting, with Blaine Gabbert as his QB for the majority of that time. 

Most WRs, even those drafted in higher rounds, dont usually "break out" until the 3rd year of them starting. With better QB play this year I expect Shorts to be an above average WR2. Like a Mike Williams or Golden Tate level player. 

I bet he will be re-signed as well. He wont break the bank, and he's a solid contributor to the team. Could be wrong but we shall see. 

Just call shorts "brick or butter fingers" on catchable passes every now and then.

its not his hands, i think its a lack of concentration. he isnt a game changer by any means. but hes reliable, he works hard, he can move the sticks. overall really good asset for any team. and he has been productive despite a terrible OL and the worst qb play in the NFL. i hope he stays a jaguar. 

I agree with the article.  Shorts is not a #1.  We need Blackmon or an impact wr in this draft.  Watkins makes a ton of sense in some ways.

I've said this before.  Shorts is a player who will make the play that's in front of him.  He's not dynamic and doesn't have the ability to take over a game.  He's good enough that you can't ignore him, but not good enough to scare anyone.  He's the Jaguars' Derrick Mason.

Shorts is a playmaker, he had some issues last year but what he did in 2012 was magical. Had he played the entire season he would have probably had closer to 1300 yards. 

Quote:Shorts is a playmaker, he had some issues last year but what he did in 2012 was magical. Had he played the entire season he would have probably had closer to 1300 yards. 

He had a couple of long touchdowns early in the season.  He didn't do anything special.  He caught a slant that he got behind coverage on and ran.  He doesn't have RAC ability.  He doesn't catch 50/50 balls.  To be a playmaker you have to be able to do at least one of those.  He took the plays that were given to him.
Solid #2 easily IMO

A good #2 if he's given a true threat to pair with at WR and an above average QB.
Quote:He had a couple of long touchdowns early in the season.  He didn't do anything special.  He caught a slant that he got behind coverage on and ran.  He doesn't have RAC ability.  He doesn't catch 50/50 balls.  To be a playmaker you have to be able to do at least one of those.  He took the plays that were given to him.
[Image: gabberthof.gif]
[Image: shorts.gif]

Yes, thank you.  There's the slant where he got behind coverage and ran.  And there's a blown coverage in the secondary where he took advantage.

Quote:Yes, thank you. There's the slant where he got behind coverage and ran. And there's a blown coverage in the secondary where he took advantage.

He pretty much made your point for you.

The slant was a very good catch, but that's his best play in three years. True number one receivers make a play of that caliber every other week.
Quote:He pretty much made your point for you.

The slant was a very good catch, but that's his best play in three years. True number one receivers make a play of that caliber every other week.

I think his TD against Houston was his best play.. Not many players can do that. He's a very solid #2 receiver.
He might not be resigned if he cant stay healthy next year

He would have had 2 back to back 1000 yard seasons if he didn't get injured. And he did this with Blaine Gabbert and Chad Henne. What else is their to say ?

Quote:He would have had 2 back to back 1000 yard seasons if he didn't get injured. And he did this with Blaine Gabbert and Chad Henne. What else is their to say ?

Well I guess you could say he is undersized and not very strong, somewhat injury prone, gives you nothing after contact, doesn't go up and attack the ball, not overly elusive, and loses concentration and drops too many balls.

Other than that there is nothing to say.

He's a good player, very good value for a 4th round pick, but definitely not a true primary target.
Quote:He would have had 2 back to back 1000 yard seasons if he didn't get injured. And he did this with Blaine Gabbert and Chad Henne. What else is their to say ?

Yes, he's Derrick Mason 2.0.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5